Author Topic: A four week old kitten. . . Tulus Alley Cat *PICS ADDED*  (Read 7231 times)

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
A four week old kitten. . . Tulus Alley Cat *PICS ADDED*
« on: July 07, 2006, 11:12:18 PM »
Okay, so I've got this four week old kitten, Tulus Alley Cat (aka Yoda Ears).

So, I've been bottle feeding him and now I'm weaning him to gooshy food.
There are three things that concern me.

1: Fleas. I've been trying to regularly bathe him in warm water w/palmolive and comb out the fleas (not as easy as it sounds). Sometimes it takes me nearly two hours to do this. Is there anything I can give this guy for fleas?

2: His belly is HUGE. He looks like a pregnant rat about to pop any second. It looks worse after he's eaten.

3: He doesn't poop in his litter box all the time. He'll go, but not IN the litterbox consistently. What can I do to get him to always go in the litter box?

He's on meds for some microorganism that turned his poop white (poop seems to be normal now). He's been dewormed. He eats and drinks fine, though it seems like he doesn't have as much scruff as he should. (It used to be real bad.) I only noticed when I scruffed Kittyrat and it seemed like he had more than Tulus. That seemed weird since Tulus is a kitten and Kittyrat is not.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 11:57:52 AM by ruthiechan »
~Ruthie
"Fear is the opposite of faith." -Susan W. Tanner
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org

Offline ratzrkool

• Posts Too Much!
Re: A four week old kitten. . . Tulus Alley Cat
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 12:23:47 AM »
Congratulations on the new kitty!

I found Voltron when he was just 4 weeks old. We fed him KMR for a solid month. He was nothing but belly! After he ate he would swagger a bit because his tummy was so full of food.  As long as Tulus is thriving & the amount of food he eats keeps increasing, I'd say the big belly thing is just part of kitten growth.

As for the litter box....at first Voltron was confused about the whole idea. He was quite used to pooping where he pleased.  Basically every time we saw him we would put him in the litter box. Before eating, after eating, before going to sleep, and anytime we saw him waking up- straight into the box.  He eventually caught on and it helped that we have other cats so he had examples of what to do.

I think the earliest kittens can be treated for fleas is 12 weeks. That is around the age I found Finn but the vet couldn't treat him for fleas because he was so underweight.  For now it is the joy of the flea comb for you......ahhh, the things we do for our babies!

And when I found Finn (perhaps these kittens are finding me?!)  he weighed 4 pounds.  He was a skeleton from living the stray life for so long.  Once he started getting regular meals he filled out and you'd never know he started life on the mean streets.
He just turned 1 and people find it hard to believe he is the same cat.

It sounds like  you are doing all the right things for Tulus Alley Cat! Good luck!

*D'oh* I confused Finns weight with Voltrons. Sorry. Finn was 12-14 weeks old & weighed 4 pounds. *goes off to consult vet records for Voltron*
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 09:31:37 PM by ratzrkool »
The ratz- Tippy, Spike, and Hazel  
~RIP Mr. C, Timothy, Fink, Dot, & Mo~~(   )8:>
The kats- Senior, Seven (the 24 toed wonder), Padfoot, Voltron and Finn
The dog- Yogi

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 12:59:25 AM »
He was 4 pounds at four weeks?
When we had Tulus weighed at the vet about a week and a half ago he only weighed .4 pounds. . . :o
~Ruthie
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 09:59:55 AM »
4 lbs would NOT be a 4 wk old cat... 4 wk kittens should weigh 12-13 ounces (a lb being 16 ounces). In my personal opinion, I think 4 wks is too soon to be feeding anything but KMR. I usualy feed KMR strictly till 6 wks, then start to offer KMR second step which you little by little reduce the water to make a gruel. Then around 7 weeks, I'm mixing canned in with the gruel and by 8 weeks on canned completely. Some kittens will make the switch faster, some slower. As far as his belly being huge, kittens DO have big milk bellies after being fed. Beyond this, would be a sign of worms. But you said he was already wormed? With the litterbox, at 4 wks age he should still be stimulated by 'mommy' after meals to poop and pee. You can also offer a litterbox, but how big of an area is he in? Tiny kittens have tiny organs and cant make a long trip to the litterbox. (plus at 4 wks they are still really crawling/dragging themselves around) Id keep him in a large dog crate with blankets and a litterbox, and stimulate after meals.

I'm not sure what to do about the fleas, I havent run into a problem like that. Have you consulted a vet?

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 11:57:23 AM »
That's why I do the bathing in palmolive and combing out the fleas. That's what the vet said to do, but it takes so much time and makes Tulus miserable. The first time my Mom and I got about 80 fleas off of him.  :shocked2: I couldn't believe it! So there some natural anti flea thing I could use?

He has been dewormed.

I started mixing 2nd step with canned food yesterday. He loves it. What made me come to that decision was that I'm not home all the time to feed him (I work >.<) and he doesn't like being bottle fed by anyone but me. My sister who helps take care of him would just give him straight canned, so I figured if I made some canned with 2nd step he'd at least be getting some milk.

Oh, and yes I do stimulate, but I don't think my sister does.  :-\

He is staying in my sister's room, which is the only place that's enclosed and away from the other cats.

Here are some pictures of Tulus, the last two are of his belly. Does his belly look okay? I ask because Torakun had a big belly and he had to be tested for something called belly bloat I believe, something that he would've needed to be put down for, but the vet I talked to last time, was in such a rush, I was glad I got anything done at all. She wasn't my usual vet, thank goodness.
http://www.ruthiechan.net/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=1
~Ruthie
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 12:39:28 PM »
12 weeks. That is around the age I found Finn.

And when I found Finn (perhaps these kittens are finding me?!)  he weighed 4 pounds. 

He was 12 weeks, not 4 weeks.  ;)

Good luck with the kitten, Ruthie!  I got Sasami when she was only five weeks old, and she had the same poo problem and round belly.  No fleas though and she readily ate gooshy food, so I guess I can be thankful for that.  :)

It sounds like you're doing what is best for him, and I'm sure he'll be ok.

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
Re: A four week old kitten. . . Tulus Alley Cat *PICS ADDED*
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 12:43:26 PM »
Gah! That's the second time I pulled a stupid like that!  :-[
~Ruthie
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 12:59:03 PM »
I found Voltron when he was just 4 weeks old, infact he only weighed 4 pounds.

Thats the statement that the both of us were referring to

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 01:09:24 PM »
Doh!  I guess I skipped over that one!   :yelcutelaugh:

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 09:58:09 PM »
I found Voltron when he was just 4 weeks old, infact he only weighed 4 pounds.

Thats the statement that the both of us were referring to

Okay good, I'm not a complete moron. :P Thank you Lin.
~Ruthie
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org

Offline RKEM

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 12:59:23 PM »
When I read the 4 weeks 4 pounds thing I was  :shocked2: ... you know given that my one year old cat barely weighs 6 pounds  :eek:

Offline OrlandoBloomnut

• Posts Too Much!
  • I am no longer a ratty mom :(
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 08:45:22 PM »
yeah i think thats just what happens when the kittens are away from momma to early, my moms new kitten has the exact same belly and when we got  her she was 3 weeks(i know way to young but after someone found her abandond we gave her a good home)
ok lets see if i can get some pics :D
ok got some
sorsha belly
http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newkittenpics0013xn.jpg
more belly
http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newkittenpics0029dy.jpg
better shot of her ENORMUS belly
http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newkittenpics0044rb.jpg
and just a cute pic of her 5 week old face :D
http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newkittenpics0032rr.jpg
soo is she to young to be treated for worms ?
and as for the freas we are having the same problem we do the same as you ? :D
I am owned by:
1 dog Misty
Gone but not forgotten:Diamond & Citrine. Quiche & Dini and now Sweetness
I miss you .

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 12:52:20 AM »
LOL! Awesome Orlando! Except for the fleas part.

I guess bellies of death are normal.  ::)
~Ruthie
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org

Offline OrlandoBloomnut

• Posts Too Much!
  • I am no longer a ratty mom :(
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 11:41:23 AM »
yeah i think the Death bellies are cute ,but the fleas yeah i feel bad for her but she feels and looks better after she has her weekly bath  ;D
I am owned by:
1 dog Misty
Gone but not forgotten:Diamond & Citrine. Quiche & Dini and now Sweetness
I miss you .