Author Topic: Our new Ratty Playpen!!  (Read 10687 times)

Offline GretchenT

Our new Ratty Playpen!!
« on: July 10, 2006, 11:53:46 AM »
DH thinks Im nuts but willingly participated in helping me build this great big playpen for our ratties to have free time in!:) We based the plans on FlyDuster's Rat Wall, but made ours able to enclose AND still fold flat enough to store under my son's single sized bed. Its 3 feet hight (dh has the extra stuff to build jump guards WHEN the girls try jumping it! So far..they just sniff at the corners hoping for a hole! LOL Anyway...its 3ft tall and it originally was 5ft x8ft but it was a bit too big for my liking so we took one panel out and now it looks like the shape of a house when closed! :) The girls are really enjoying it and so am I cause I can get in too! :) Just thought others who were looking to build..might be able to feed of this!:) enjoy!

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/GretchenT/Ratty%20Girls/Rat%20Playpen/
GretchenT
Mommy to 5 great kids,1 huge lab, 1 adorable bun, and head over heels in love with my 3 new rat girlies!

Offline wonderrodent

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • owned by three rodentists
Re: Our new Ratty Playpen!!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 12:06:04 PM »
Awesome, Gretchen! I am sure your ratties are very very happy!!

<br/>www.wonderrodent.com<br/>
"Men have forgotten this truth but you must not forget it. You remain responsible forever for what you have tamed."

Offline jorats

• Posts Too Much!
  • There are rats in my house.
    • The Rat Shack
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 12:15:22 PM »
I bet the ratties have loads of fun in that playpen. My ratties love their octoplay too!
What is the enclosure made of? You could have used coroplast which is a very light plastic sign board thing.
Joanne
The Rat Shack

Until there's none... rescue one.

Offline GretchenT

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 12:37:07 PM »
Its made of a thin smooth board...not plywood..not even sure what its called. DH said Id be able to work with it..but ummm its heavy! I should have listened to my OWN brain and told him to go with something a BIT lighter! LOL But...we are going to attach furniture movers to the bottom (when its folded)so I can just scoot it across the carpet on those and it wont create a gap between the bottom of the walls and the floor.He is also going to add strap handles to the top so when Im opening and closing..I can use those!:) Its not NEARLY has heavy as plywood was...but its still a bit on the heavy side:)
GretchenT
Mommy to 5 great kids,1 huge lab, 1 adorable bun, and head over heels in love with my 3 new rat girlies!

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 12:48:22 PM »
Lucky kids!! That looks totally awesome!! :)

Offline amymckee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 02:09:25 PM »
You have an octopus too! My rats LOVE theirs. I don't know what I ever did without it, because it's the only way to get back my skittish girl. She hides from me, but she'll always get into the octopus when playtime is over.
RIP Sugar, Jasmine, Juniper, Sesame, Stella, Won-Ton, Lucy, Sophie, Olivia, Eloise, Starsha, Pepper, Freddie, Astra, Trelly, Scooter, Sparky, and "Rat".

Offline Celestrina

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 03:07:40 PM »
what would you use as a jump guard?

Offline amymckee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 03:44:06 PM »
what would you use as a jump guard?

I don't know that everyone needs one. I remember I got rid of my great wall a few years ago because my girls could jump it easily, but my current rats wouldn't even try. They climb a lot, but they don't jump at all.
RIP Sugar, Jasmine, Juniper, Sesame, Stella, Won-Ton, Lucy, Sophie, Olivia, Eloise, Starsha, Pepper, Freddie, Astra, Trelly, Scooter, Sparky, and "Rat".

Offline GretchenT

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 03:55:17 PM »
The jump guards will be made from the scraps of wood left over. He will make foot wide "shelves" that sit on the tops...like Flyingduster's. No jumping in ours so far. Mine are big climbers, thus the SMOooooothe wood.LOL ;) Im sure someone will try jumping...but until then...no jumpguards! :)
GretchenT

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 05:02:05 PM »
Oh that should be a ton of fun for them! :)

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline amymckee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 06:20:01 PM »
Just in case anybody else is wondering about the octopus, here it is:

http://www.ferretstore.com/mr-00300.html

We all know how picky rats can be, but it was a big hit with my gang. Here's Sesame modeling it:

Offline GretchenT

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 06:33:15 PM »
Mine just love it too!!! and...the two that like to hide when its time to go back in the cage..go straight for it so it makes getting them back to the cage SO much easier:)
GretchenT

Offline kreestole

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 10:37:31 PM »
Just got the Octoplay for my babies and they love it. I usually don't buy toys for them (I make things) but this is really cute.
3 kids: Alice, Drake, and Dylan
1 cat: Lucy
3 Rats: Fiona, Poppy, and Violet

Offline Dork123

• Posts Too Much!
  • "My name is Juliette and I'm a rat-aholic..."
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 01:45:28 AM »
SO cool!!!  *dreams of a giant rattie playpen*  :D

Offline UnlimitedRattieLady

• Cuteness overload
    • ourplaceourspace.bravehost
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 08:40:46 AM »
That's exactly what my fiance and i wanna do. It looks great!

Offline Ratwings

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Elfwood Art Gallery
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 11:59:52 PM »
That's so neat, I bet your girls are thrilled!  You might even get lucky about the jumping.  Three feet is pretty high, even if they made it to the top I doubt they would feel brave enough to leap down over the side, unless there was something like furniture or a coffee table that they could "escape" onto.  I've let my rats play on table tops with no jumping problems, although I suppose if the wood was rough enough they could play squirrel and just climb down.

Well I think I'm just babbling now.... It's a lovely playpen and I'm jealous!  My room is ratproofed, but oh how the wooden furniture and the moulding is suffering!
~Julie

Offline kreestole

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 10:04:46 PM »
Could you maybe get a close-up of your hinges and the way you attached them. I am planning a wall right now and want to use masonite but I'm worried the screws will poke through.

Offline wonderrodent

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 11:26:24 PM »
I think Gretchen used the hinges that go all the way from top to bottom (hard to explain but you can see it in her picture). It's better support. Here is what I did. The screws did poke through at the other end so I had to cover it up. (It's on the outside of the playpen, though so the ratties can't get hurt). I don't use mine anymore so I have it against the wall for protection.

I made another playpen that's easy to make:

"Men have forgotten this truth but you must not forget it. You remain responsible forever for what you have tamed."

Offline star2

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 11:39:52 PM »
First of all I'm totally buying that Octoplay thing!!

And awesome playpen!  :thumbsup2:
I'm looking to buy/make one.  My girls would love it!! 
~*Katie*~
Play hard at the bridge Aggie, Daisy, Fiona, Scarlett, and Robin

Offline mishymoo37

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2006, 02:22:15 AM »
Ok, so....where are these ingenius plans for this homemade playpen?  I must have them!  Actually...my friend would let her single male have run of her room until she found that he'd been pulling and chewing up the carpet in the corner behind her dresser....she's been looking for an alternate playpen that's less expensive than those metal ones you find in petstores ....plus, something where the rats can't jump or climb out....approx. how much did you spend on this awesome project?  Did you go to Lowe's to get everything?  What are all the materials needed???  :bow:

And wonderrodent, what are those things called that you have on your floor that connect?  I never thought about using those for covering up a floor for playtime!  WOW!!  :shocked2:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 02:27:11 AM by mishymoo37 »
~To all my babies I had to let go...Momma will ALWAYS miss you guys; you all will forever be in my thoughts as you have left your little footprints on my heart.  I love you all so very much and miss you more than you will ever know.~

Offline wonderrodent

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2006, 08:09:26 AM »
I think the mats are called foam linking mats. You can get them at Lowe's, Walmart or K-Mart (that's where I've seen them). At K-Mart they had them at the work-out equipment section (since it's also for protecting the floor from the heavy work out equipments) or people use them in kids play rooms. They are easy to wipe off but I do have sheets and blankets on top of them.
The play pen didn't cost much at all. You can find everything at a home improvement store (I've seen the boards in only 2 sizes, square and rectangular). I used the rectangular ones in the easy version. You need four of course and I don't know if it's clear in the picture how I made it. I found an old mosquito screen door and it fit on top of it. But you can easily make one yourself too. As far as I know the screen and frame is being sold separately. I thought if I can't watch them I put it on top so they won't be able to climb over (that was before I knew they would conquer the whole room  ;D) .

For the one with hinges I used the square ones and you can connect as many as you want. When you fold it and store it, it is a little bit heavy.

I am sure Gretchen can tell you better how she made hers.

Offline GretchenT

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2006, 09:24:22 AM »
unfortunately....ours ended up costing a good bit. Mostly cause DH just HAD to use WOOD...decent wood..LOL its heavy..which is good cause it wont knock over...bad cause I have to lug it! LOL ;) Our is big enough for me to sit inside with them. I usually park my butt in the pointed corner. It IS big enough though for me to lay down on my tummy and the rats to still have plenty of room. Im their favorite climbing toy!;) So far...no one has tried to jump out, but Ive seen them LOOKING up and trying to figure out if they could make it! ;) We have jump guards to put on top when that starts happening.
Anyway...the hinges I used are not full hinges. In fact...they look alot like wonderrodents;) on ONE of them...the screw came through the other side. But its at the top so Im not too worried about it. Our playpen accordian folds. we have been keeping it out in the room but folded up and leaning against a wall because its too heavy for me to lug from under the bed! LOL If I had it to do over...Id have FOUGHT for what I wanted and not let DH tell me "itll be FINE..you'll be able to do it" LOL Ya live and learn. HOWEVER...id still make it this big or BIGGER if I had room! They LOVE romping around!
GretchenT

Offline star2

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2006, 12:10:24 AM »
I love that it folds flat and can fit under a bed.  Sounds perfect!!

Can you come over to my house and make me one?   ;)
I want one so badly!  Exactly like yours- that folds and is very tall- but I can't make one myself! 
~*Katie*~
Play hard at the bridge Aggie, Daisy, Fiona, Scarlett, and Robin

Offline kreestole

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2006, 02:23:25 AM »
Wonderrodent, I can't use your easy idea because I am just building it to block off the hallway between the living/dining room. Right now I am using a makeshift cardboard wall but that will only last so long. :BlueDumboSmile:

And thanks for the closeups Gretchen and Wonderrrodent, it helped.