Author Topic: Help! How much does Baytril cost?  (Read 6713 times)

Offline Rinny

• Ritten
Help! How much does Baytril cost?
« on: July 13, 2006, 01:25:44 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I'm very concerned about a bunny I have. She's new, I just got her yesterday from a lady that didn't want her anymore. Before she came over here, the lady told me that she gave her a bath. I don't know how she did it, or if she even submerged her. The little Holland lop was pretty soaked though, and the previous owner brought her out into the rain, yesterday so I could bring her into my home. Now, she's pretty dry today, but I noticed since yesterday that her nose has been very runny, with white, sticky mucus. Her eyes have been very watery too, and she makes weird sounds. It's like a wheezing, sneezing, squeaky type of sound. I am deeply concerned, but I don't have money to take her to a vet.

Plus the lady told me that she had been to the vet, and she was fine. Maybe the bath got her sick?

The symptoms she has sounds like a respiratory problem. Anyone have any suggestions besides taking her to the vet which cost over 120$? Would  http://www.ferretstore.com/rs-515.html <--- that help? If not, would Baytril be something affordable and helpful of her symptoms? How much would it cost? and where could I get it? I heard you could buy medications online.

I know I'm not a doctor or anything, but like I said. I really can't afford the vet visit right now. But I know she really needs help. I was also considering giving her up, but the stupid lady didn't inform me about any of this, I thought she was a healthy girl. ;/
I really have a special spot for her in my heart though, please help!

Much help would be appreciated, thank you for reading and taking your time on this situation.

Offline ShadowWolf

• Posts Too Much!
    • Shadow Brook Rodentry
Re: Help! How much does Baytril cost?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 03:10:00 PM »
Rabbits are very sensetive to what types of medications they can take and if you're not a vet, I would not suggest self diagnosing.  You can sign up for Care Credit (unless a minor and then Mom or Dad should be able to) and get your little bun handled.  It's a low interest/no interest card specifically for vet care.

Dream the dreams that have never been dreamt. - David Bower

Offline Rinny

• Ritten
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 05:03:55 PM »
I already know that. I don't think that would be a good option since my parents credit is bad, and I'm looking for a job currently, so there's no extra funds or ways to pay in little portions. My parents use every last penny they have on bills and other stuff, besides food and homage for our rabbits. It's not my fault Moma was given to me this way. I have contacted the previous owner, with no response. If I had the money, I would take her to the vet, even though it's not right of someone to give away an animal sick in the first place. ;/ Taking her to the vet would be helpful, they could test her to see which meds she's sensitive to, and which type of strain she has. But again, that all cost money that I wasn't prepared for in the first place. If the previous owner would have told me she was sick aready (which she said she was healthy, but a runny nose and eyes is not healthy) then I wouldn't have considered getting her, because I knew I can't afford 100+ bucks right now. Food can last for a good month, and usually comes to maybe 30$ so that isn't bad. I live in New York City - High cost of living here. Hopefully when I get a job, I'll invest into this rabbit as a priority thing, because I'm not inhumane either. It's not her fault she's sick. I can't believe how stupid people can be though.

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 07:59:13 PM »
UNfortunately, theres no other option besides taking her to a vet. Perhaps this should have been a consideration before taking on a new pet? Maybe you should consider turning her over to a shelter where they can give her some medical care, or to a rabbit rescue.
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC

Offline Rinny

• Ritten
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 01:46:23 AM »
Uhm, incase you didn't READ - I will say it AGAIN.  I did not KNOW she was sick, and the previous owner told me that she had already been to the vet, and that she's a healthy Rabbit. If I knew she was in any way sick, I WOULD NOT have adopted her. I take VERY good care of my first rabbit, and she hasn't got sick or anything. I don't give her unneccessary baths, or do things that will endanger her health. And I always make it a point to keep her environment safe, and clean. I was just asking to see if anyone would have any other suggestions, please do not post if you don't have any other suggestions besides "take to vet" as I have said in the very first post. ;/

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 11:01:37 PM »
Unfortunately, that's about all the advice we can give.  We're not vets, just a community of people who come together to help animals.  It sounds like your girl is very sick, and I hope you're able to get some help for her before it's too late.

Offline Rinny

• Ritten
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 12:36:05 AM »
I'm not claiming anyone to be a vet here. I was just asking for suggestions, since I assume that people here would be experienced with Rabbits.

It's like having many children, after awhile you'll know the symptoms of a certain illness, and might treat it yourself to avoid an unneccessary doctors visit. Not to say that taking your animal to the vet isn't something to avoid, but if you don't have the resources, there should be other options. I'm not a veterinarian, but her symptoms are something easy to "diagnose". Some things are just very OBVIOUS, and you don't need to be a vet to figure it out.

I've decided to take her in on Monday, to the ASPCA. It's selfish of me to keep her here suffering when she's sick. I don't want her to suffer anymore. Though it makes me sad that she can't stay here, because I take really good care of my pets. When I take her, I know I'll get the vet's word that she DOES have an upper respiratory illness, due to her nasal and eye discharge, yellow paws and hind legs (no, not the padding of the paws.) and constant sneezing, wheezing. And no, I'm not a vet, but like I said, some things are just very obvious. ;/

Offline ShadowWolf

• Posts Too Much!
    • Shadow Brook Rodentry
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 01:20:30 PM »
Unfortunately, unlike many illnesses in other species that many can often figure out, rabbits are very tricky to treat and diagnose.  The only thing I'm confident in figuring out is GI Stasis in a rabbit.  I wouldn't EVER be able to think of diagnosing a respiratory ailment in a rabbit, let alone what antibiotics it would take to cure it.  I'm sorry we could not offer you more assistance than strong recommendations to take your animal to the vet - that is the first thing I'd do with any of my animals - even if I *did* know what it was because I cannot be certain and self-diagnosing/medicating could also lead to the death of my fuzzies.  This is something I could not have on my mind if they passed on for that.

Dream the dreams that have never been dreamt. - David Bower

Offline Rinny

• Ritten
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 12:32:22 PM »
When my first Rabbit was given to me SICK. I took her back, and they let her see the vet there. I was right about her having an ear infection, so they flushed her ears out as an emergency thing, and gave her some medication. She's much better now. So, I know I'll be right. I'm taking Moma to the ASPCA today.  :'( Maybe I'll take some pictures and post it here. Thanks for the insight though I already knew it can be tricky for some people. As some diseases can have the same symptoms. I was just thinking of a way to keep her, because I have affection towards her. But sometimes in life, you gotta do things you don't want to. ;/