0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Cats  (Read 1915 times)

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Cats
« on: July 15, 2006, 09:17:26 AM »
I was wondering how many cats members have, and also if they are indoor/outdoor, or one or the other.  If you have a single cat I was wonder what your feeling on that are, and if you have numerous, your reason for that also.  I know the single cat vs playmates can be a bit of disagreements sometimes, but I hope it can be kept civil and I'm just asking for my own curiousity.  I have lived with both situations and can see positive in both.

Offline Rat_lover_lauren

• Rattie Heaven
Re: Cats
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 09:20:04 AM »
I had two but unfortunatley only one now  :'(

R.I.P Chester and Olly my Special Little Ratty Boys
R.I.P Jackson My feline Friend

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 06:42:22 PM »
All of my cats are indoor only. Our elder cat used to be indoor/outdoor (from previous owner) and she regularly 'walked' us up to the bus stop and would ALWAYS find her way back to the apartment. This was back in the day we couldn't commit to having her but she wouldn't go away...

8 years later we have her, and her offspring, and some others that hopped on the bandwagon throughout the years. All are strictly indoor. I do not trust the world with my pets if they are allowed to roam outside unattended. It only takes *one time* for your cat to disappear/get hit by a car/attacked by a --whatever-- and they're gone. I'd rather not take that chance. There's too much they can get into, too much risk of getting hit by a car -- and in this area, too much of a chance they will be STOLEN to be used as bait for dog fighting rings. :(

As for single vs multiple cats.. they are independent little creatures but I do think they enjoy the companionship of another cat. Some cats do need to be solitary (thankfully none of mine are like that) but most times they can be integrated with proper introductions and live happy lives together. It's just important to have room where one can run off to if they don't feel like being sociable every now and again.

Edited to add the reason for us having multiple cats is because the rest of the world felt they were unworthy of receiving love and a good home. If it weren't for our neighbors having moved and left their two mama cats and litters in a locked apartment for three weeks in the HOT summer without food or water, we'd not have gotten into cats at all (allergies)! Our elder cat is the only survivor of that first rescue...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 06:45:52 PM by TheChicagoCrew »
-Melina & Crew

Offline OrlandoBloomnut

• Posts Too Much!
  • I am no longer a ratty mom :(
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 08:30:16 PM »
well only moms kitten is indoors i would like for the other cats too be indoors but they refuse too do that,they anr indoors /and out doors
I am owned by:
1 dog Misty
Gone but not forgotten:Diamond & Citrine. Quiche & Dini and now Sweetness
I miss you .

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 10:56:58 PM »
Our 3 are all indoor kitties.  Like TCC, I don't trust the outside world.  We've got neighbor kids with BB guns, idiots racing up and down a quiet residential street, and the main road a block away...  So, indoor kitties only!

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 11:25:12 PM »
I've always done indoor cats only.  I don't see the point of a pet that goes all over and comes home when it wants to.  Plus I don't care for other cats coming into our yard and upsetting our dog and our cats from the windows. 

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 03:56:30 PM »
Mine stay indoors.  I do not feel safe letting them out.  Too many dangers, imo...  and way too many fast cars in front of this apartment, esp.  I'm also scared of them being stolen...  I think they're all pretty.  ^^  (plus Yuki was kind of expensive, being a bengal...)

I'll never have just a single cat either.  I enjoy their interactions, and like them having "someone" there to keep them company if we're out.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 06:19:29 PM by NutKitty »

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 08:43:24 PM »
I have 3 cats of my own, 4 in the household right now... I started with single cats, and indoor outdoor cats. Mine now are strictly indoor, I do not trust the big bad world. Ive had 2 cats disappear despite wearing collars and tags. I never knew if they were killed, or stolen, or what. I have NO closure. I still cry over the loss of those cats. I live alone, and my pets are my family, my company. That along with GGMW(hatever) constantly. I'm actualy more of a dog person, and if I was forced to have only cats or dogs, I would have to choose dogs (though I don't know if I could actualy go without kitties). So a big reason of getting more cats, was because I was living in areas that allowed cats and not dogs. So I would get another kitten, when the craving for a dog got too much for me. My most recent kitty addition, what just the desire for a specific kind of cat. Kind of like NutKitty having Yuki her bengal, I went and got a purebred cat. However, shes 6 years old and not adjusting well to my many pets yet. Hopefully in time though!

Offline shadowlily89

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 08:58:30 PM »
Right now I have only one cat. We lost our second cat, who was about 11 years old, to FIV, very suddenly. The cat I have right now, Shadow (Hence my name, ShadowLily (Lily was another cat I had)) was tested negative!! But, we are being very cautious about bringing any new cats in, so we are going to get him tested again in 6 months to make sure he is still negative. However, on the singke cat debate, this cat has never been happier! He has always hated other cats. Whenever we foster cats or have introduced new cats to the family, he would sulk like it was the end of the world! He absolutely loves having the house to himself. He is an indoor/outdoor cat because we live in a teensy tiny house (like 5 rooms total lol) and not only would it be cruel to keep him in, he was already used to being outside and there is no keeping this cat in! However, I live on a dead end and on either side of me the house is for sale, so there is no traffic whatsoever. The school bus and ice cream man doesnt even come down our street lol. However he does have a strict 7:00 curfew, just incase any fisher cats are around (theyve been rumored).