Author Topic: ,  (Read 3290 times)

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« on: July 15, 2006, 12:33:51 PM »
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 12:43:07 PM by *Kat* »

Offline robinstar1989

• Holly and Ivy
Re: We fell in love - cuteness warning extreme!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 01:26:59 PM »
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww *thud*

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 06:34:00 PM »
Not kittens! Awww how adorable. I haven't seen kittens that small since mine were that young (seven years ago). Soo cute. Sooo much trooouubblleee...soo cute...

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 10:53:51 PM »
Awww.  Very cute!

Offline KellyNZoo

• Posts Too Much!
  • Moo!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 12:29:55 AM »
Maybe you're allergic to something on them? Flea meds? Fleas themselves? Odd how you'd be allergic to them and not the other cats.

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 05:49:04 PM »
I had this happen as well. It was because the two new adoptees were males. All of my other cats are females. I was adamant about not taking the boys back to the shelter so I came here in search for help. I got some OTC Claritin 24 hour pills and that did the job. Occasionally I'll have to use an albuterol inhaler.

I had hives, itchy eyes, nose, breathing trouble all within 48 hours of bringing the boys home. The Claritin helped alleviate all the symptoms although I was careful not to play with them or allow them to sleep with me or on furniture I used. It is important if you are allergic to an animal for them NOT to sleep in your room or on your bed.

After about a month of constant Claritin in my system I weaned myself off of it to see if my body had built up resistance to the boys. My body no longer reacted to the cats, even though I was willing to stay on Claritin forever if need be. I wasn't returning those poor boys.

These days I keep the generic Claritine, "loratadine", in the medicine cabinet for days I feel reactions coming on -- nip them in the bud. It works just as well for me as Claritin did. Although if my allergies were as bad as they were initially I would still use Claritin.

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 05:52:14 PM »
Oh, and kittens just cause more allergic reactions than adult cats for some reason. :)

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 06:21:31 PM »
They are SO cute!!!!  I love greys AND tabbies, and I especially love the little "hissy fit" pic.   :yelcutelaugh:

Your grey reminds me of Sasami when she was a baby.  :)

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 08:12:53 PM »
Have you given them a bath or anything since getting them?  Maybe that might help?  :)  (tho washing wiggly lil' kittens is no fun!)  LOL...

I don't know what I'd do if I ever developed allergies to cats.  I'd probably medicate myself to infinity to keep them.  I'm obsessed with my fuzzbutts.  :)

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 02:09:45 AM »
Actually most of the fleas we deal with in any species are 'cat fleas'.

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline BabyBlue

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 10:07:14 AM »
I was totally shocked when I first found out that I was allergic to cats. I've lived with dogs all my life, even had several cats, and NEVER had a problem before. I've never even had seasonal allergies or anything. Yet my boyfriend and I brought home 2 itty bitty kittens and I broke out in hives, couldn't stop sneezing, my eyes and nose were non stop running, etc. Like TCC, I also took Claritin which seems to help. And then slowly my body just adjusted and I was fine being around them without meds.

But, I realized that I go through the same thing whenever I bring home a NEW CAT, or go around unfamiliar cats. We now have 5 cats and every time we brought one home I would go through several weeks of being severely allergic. I sometimes take meds, sometimes don't. In the end I feel fortunate that my body is able to adjust and I can live with my kitties just fine :)

Oh and I have 5 MALE cats btw ;)

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 12:05:01 PM »
Oh and I have 5 MALE cats btw ;)

OMG, how can you STAND it?!  All that kitty testosterone!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, the boys are my favorite.  They've always been the most affectionate.  :)  (although my girls are really affectionate too - says a lot for the males, huh?)

Offline BabyBlue

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 05:44:27 PM »
OMG, how can you STAND it?!  All that kitty testosterone!!!!!!!!!!
You think that's bad? I live with my boyfriend, 5 male cats, 2 male rats, 2 male birds, and there's only a very very small chance my 3rd bird is a female :help: :doh:

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 06:29:44 PM »
You think that's bad? I live with my boyfriend, 5 male cats, 2 male rats, 2 male birds, and there's only a very very small chance my 3rd bird is a female :help: :doh:

:bow:

Offline Eileen

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Be nice to someone today!
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 10:57:48 AM »
When I started dating my husband, he was very allergic - used to have to take Benadryl to be over the house even for a short period. Over time, his body grew used to them & he doesn't have to take anything.
But when we had gotten a new one, he was allergic to the new one too, until he got used to it. Now we have 3; 2 males & 1 female.

They are super cute. Hope you feel better soon but I think you will.
Gulliver's Travels  may be over, but they will never be forgotten..

Offline JohariZ

• Posts Too Much!
  • Cave canem
    • Everything Ferret
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 07:18:28 AM »
the kittens are probably so calm in the water because they were most likely handled a lot at the petstore. And probably given several baths. I know when we got a batch of three weeks old kittens we had to hand feed them for many weeks before we could get them homes... and that was a constant job for everyone, and meant almost daily baths.

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 12:13:05 PM »
Soooo....  more pics?   :thumbsup2:

Offline KoalaLou2

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pure love... adopt a PEW
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2006, 10:17:35 AM »
A couple years ago my family got kittens whose mother and siblings had died and the people who found them (living in their barn) were moving and so could not take them in.  They were about two weeks old (both could fit in one hand) and had to be fed with an eye dropper for quite a while.  They were so messy!  They had to have baths every day because it would get all over their little bodies.  Then when they switched to wet food our little boy enjoyed sleeping with his head in his food.  We think he just ate and passed out and then would wake up and be right next to the food and so eat again ;)  When we switched to dry food and they didn't get baths often they began to hate it and refused to take a bath.  When we first had them we would "dunk" them.  They were so easy to handle that we just picked them up, dunked them in water up to their neck and then clean their face with a washcloth.  So cute  :laugh:
Adoring slave to three rats (Edward, Templeton, and Theodore) and three dogs (Holly and Mia the Greyhounds, Cadie the Brittany)

Angels waiting at the bridge.... Wendi, Josie, Petrie, Minski, Teebs, Dribbles, Milo, and Mr Smuckers, who took my heart with him.  Always remembered, always loved