Author Topic: Cat allergies  (Read 2034 times)

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Cat allergies
« on: July 15, 2006, 11:47:24 PM »
Sorry for somewhat double posting this, but I know many people don't go to the cat forum but will know about animal allergies.  We just got 2 male kittens, and I'm breaking out in hives.  I don't understand it, I've never had problems with any cats, or any animals at all in that matter.  I don't have health care right now so perscription allergy pills are not an option, please, any suggestions anyone can think of - OTC pills you use etc. :'(

Offline LordShrike

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ich benutze Internets!!!
Re: Cat allergies
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 11:51:31 PM »
This may or may not help (it is a bit extreme), but a family I knew who all had moderate to bad cat/dog allergies found that they (the allergies) mostly went away when their carpets were replaced with wood laminate flooring.

Offline Rattiemama

• Posts Too Much!
  • ^^ Cheezy grin! ^^
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 01:27:07 AM »
The best thing for hives is Benedryl (pills and cream) and aveeno baths. It will knock you out though. Other antihisimines just don't work as well for skin irritations. I use Tavist for my allergies when I can't get my persecription, and it works well without knocking me out. It helps a little with hives, but not nearly as much as the Benedryl does. It would also help to wash your hands and face as much as possible after handling the kittens. It's probably also a good idea to keep them out of your bed, since that's where you'd be laying in the irritants for the longest period of time.

I'm sory you're having allergies. If you have not been around cats for a while you may have developed an allergy to them recently. I know it sucks, but if you don't have health care right now, your best bet may be giving the kitties up until you can have a doctor's help dealing with your allergies. I hope you can find a way to make it all work out.

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 11:48:28 AM »
I don't have any suggestions for OTC treatment, I take prescription allergy medication. But I have animal allergies, and am fine with my pets because I desensitize my self. Which is a very valid treatment homeopathicly for allergies, continue to expose yourself until your no longer allergic. I'm often allergic to friends pets, and I get new allergic reactions for a while whenever I introduce a new pet into my home. So maybe your going through something similar, where your not allergic to the pets your adjusted to but are to these new kittens. My point, is maybe this is only temporary. Hope you feel better, allergies suck!

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 11:59:10 AM »
I talked to some people on chat last night - thanks you guys.  Thinking maybe it's what the kittens were eating, or something they got into.  I have other cats in the house already and it just blows me away that it would be them - I've never had a reaction to an animal in my life (other than the usual - oh how adorable!)  I'm hoping it's something I ate, that there is a food allergy I didn't realize or something.  Took a claritin this morning and will just wait for my system to clean itself out and see what comes of it. 

Offline Tracy

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 02:17:14 PM »
Are the kittens neutered?
What does not change is the will to change.
Rescue Rats Looking for Love

"People who want their Children to experience the Miracle of BIRTH should first come to an animal shelter and Witness the Sadness of Death/Euthanasia"

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 02:46:39 PM »
they are 6 weeks old, not even mature for there to be anything due to that to affect me.

Offline BabyBlue

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 05:39:17 PM »
I don't have any suggestions for OTC treatment, I take prescription allergy medication. But I have animal allergies, and am fine with my pets because I desensitize my self. Which is a very valid treatment homeopathicly for allergies, continue to expose yourself until your no longer allergic. I'm often allergic to friends pets, and I get new allergic reactions for a while whenever I introduce a new pet into my home. So maybe your going through something similar, where your not allergic to the pets your adjusted to but are to these new kittens. My point, is maybe this is only temporary. Hope you feel better, allergies suck!
This is exactly my situation as well. I'm allergic to cats (altho not dogs :P) and I've been around cats on and off for years until I finally got my own. Now I live with 5 full grown, 2 of them long hair, all indoor, all male cats and for the most part I can live without any meds. I do react to any new cats and it takes several weeks until my body adjusts.

I do take meds when things get a little out of control, either Claritin if i can't get prescription, or Zertec when I can. Zertec works GREAT but it's expensive and it totally knocks me out.