Author Topic: Rat Toys and Games  (Read 46914 times)

Offline Blink

• My rats: Kia and Chia
Rat Toys and Games
« on: July 16, 2006, 06:51:02 PM »
Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any rat toy or game ideas, or any links to some. I already have a few, which are:
http://www.rattycorner.com/funstuff/toys.shtml
http://www.dapper.com.au/toys.htm
http://www.ratsauce.com/toys_games/index.php
http://www.interlog.com/~audiotre/games.html
These links were useful to me I hope they're useful to you. Also I have some ideas of my own, feel free to use them(I only have one):
Put on two shirts and place the rat under one of them and tuck the shirt in.

If you have any ideas or links please post them!
:wav:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 11:43:09 AM by Blink »
"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because I'm unique."

Offline amymckee

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Rat Toys and Games
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 07:24:26 PM »
For a splurge, my rats adore the Octoplay: http://www.ferretstore.com/mr-00300.html.

For cheap toys my rats like paper lunch sacks and a throw blanket that they can play under.

"Hand tag" is also popular at my house. (Chase a rat around with one hand, like it's another rat. Make sure to let your rat catch you sometimes.)
RIP Sugar, Jasmine, Juniper, Sesame, Stella, Won-Ton, Lucy, Sophie, Olivia, Eloise, Starsha, Pepper, Freddie, Astra, Trelly, Scooter, Sparky, and "Rat".

Offline Blink

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 11:10:54 PM »
That looks like a fun toy! A little expensive, though. Thanks!

Offline Poisonetta

• Posts Too Much!
  • Everybody Cares, Everybody Understands
    • My Myspace
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 08:06:13 PM »
I am a big fan of Hand tag, or hand wrestling. It's so cute to have them actually play with you like you are a little rattie.  :BlueDumboSmile:

Also for toys they love to climb on my bookshelves and windows, along with anyhting else. I think bird latters are great!

um.... hmm... other than the normal chew toys and hammocks, that's all I can think of right now.  :P
The fuzzy ones have taken over my brain! 

"Giiiiiive usssss yooooggggiiiiesssssssss"

Mother and Companion to Joanna, Laksme, Tompkins and Leopold.

Offline star2

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 05:00:57 PM »
For a splurge, my rats adore the Octoplay: http://www.ferretstore.com/mr-00300.html.

That's awesome!!  I'm totally buying one for my rats!!

Something I do for my girls is take a box (I use a waffle box or pop-tart box, etc) and keep both ends open.  Then I just take an old-tshirt and put one of the sleeves over one end of the box.  (Is this making any sense?)
So the girls run into the box and instead of running out the other end they run around in a tshirt. 
Here's a picture where you can sort of see what I'm talking about.
  Aggie's peeking out of the door, and the black thing on the left side of the picture is the t-shirt.

I also cut a door in an upside-down shoe box.  Boxes in general are always fun.  You can get creative and duct tape some boxes together to make long tunnels etc.
The girls in a shoebox:

Pea-fishing is always a favorite...
~*Katie*~
Play hard at the bridge Aggie, Daisy, Fiona, Scarlett, and Robin

Offline Blink

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 09:52:30 PM »
Thanks! That's a great idea!

Offline crtjh

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 02:34:22 PM »
my rats love my old goggles. they are the mask kind with the thing that covers your nose as well as eyes, and the band on them broke. i hid treats under them and the pushed the googles off the edge of the platform, ate the treats, managed to get the googles so the rubber on the sides is up, and now they love to sleep on top of them!

also, you can wet peanut butter with water (so it doesnt get stuck in their throats) and put it around the inside of a toilet paper tube. then get nuts and other small treats, i even use cat and dog food and treats, and stick them ot the peanut butter.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 10:02:00 AM by crtjh »

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 04:56:32 PM »
My rats LOVE the little bird toys with mirror and jingle bells. I hang them just low enough so they can walk underneath and hit the bell with their backs. I've watch them looking at themselves in the mirror too, it is so cute.  ;D

Offline Blink

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 11:18:42 AM »
Cool! Afer your reply I got them some bird toys :P

Offline 1lila1

• Posts Too Much!
  • PEW's are love!
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 08:21:43 PM »
Chase the blueberry (or whatever rolly treat your rat loves):  I roll a blueberry across the kitchen floor and watch five rats all dash for it.  The one who gets it runs off to enjoy his prize while the other run back to me to do it again!  It's a blast,
Mama to 5 rattie boyz, 1 kittie boy, and 1 doggie girl.

Offline wonderrodent

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • owned by three rodentists
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 11:46:44 PM »
PVC pipes and dryer hoses are fun for ratties (you can also see that I layed out the room with those foam linking mats):

I make my girls little pillows filled with treats:

Ideas for a playpen:

or made with hinges:

Hubby and I made our girls a climbing post:

I bought plastic baskets you can stack on top of each other. I fill them with toys and sometimes I hide treats. They love climbing around:

I also make them cardboard mazes. I connect cardboard boxes of different sizes, make holes through them and sometimes fill them with toys, shredded paper, rags etc.

A favorite for most ratties - kleenex boxes and toilet paper rolls:

My girls like to dig around in baskets filled with blankets (or when I fold the laundry):

This is a rubber ball (for dogs). I put cheerios into the ridges:

« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 11:59:30 PM by wonderrodent »

<br/>www.wonderrodent.com<br/>
"Men have forgotten this truth but you must not forget it. You remain responsible forever for what you have tamed."

Offline jorats

• Posts Too Much!
  • There are rats in my house.
    • The Rat Shack
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 09:59:56 PM »
I got a wee bit creative this morning and put together something of a toy. My babies liked it.
It's industrial toilet paper tubes held together with twine.

Joanne
The Rat Shack

Until there's none... rescue one.

Offline Dorasmommy

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 04:08:18 PM »
One of my rats will actually tug-of-war with me with little pieces of string, etc.  Kinda like a little doggie.  :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline Sockmonk

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 07:23:18 PM »
My rats like rawhide dog chews. Only keeps 'em entertained for awhile, though.
AT THE ZOO
3 rats
2 dogs
1 cat
1 bearded dragon
2 guinea pigs

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2006, 06:57:33 PM »
Feather dusters from the dollar store are GREAT FUN!  Especially if you run it along the outside of their cage, while they chase it from the inside ...

I just put a golf ball in front of one of my girls .... ooooh the fun she's having with it!  She pulls it backwards, into her cave:

I reach in and pull it back out, with her attached to it, her little hands just wrapped around it:

then she rolls it backwards, back into the cave again!

Very sweet.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 08:30:41 PM by Dearpie »

Offline Cera

• Ewan & Finley
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2006, 09:43:45 AM »
"Hand tag" is also popular at my house. (Chase a rat around with one hand, like it's another rat. Make sure to let your rat catch you sometimes.)

My boys LOVE that game (...and ok, my dad and I love to play it with them lol)!  Except in our house, it's reffered to as either "Rattie Wrestling" or "I'm-A-Gonna-Getcha".  Sometimes the boys even try to drage our hands into the cage to play!

Offline lycanandselenesmom

• Posts Too Much!
  • "Who need kids when you have rats?"
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 06:59:09 PM »
I can't wait to play fish for peas. My girls are still jumpy so I have to wait for them to calm down.
Lycan and Selene's Mommy. Life would be so dull without them.
Ratties:
RIP Lycan 11-4-06, Selene, Pistachio,(Stash),Skittles
Kitties:
Calisto Anne, Orangin and Spooky

Offline RattieAddict

• If only I had time for more:)
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2006, 01:46:14 PM »
Also those cat toys with the stick and then a cloth "ribbon" or feathers...my Ezri goes nuts chasing it!
Deanna,B'Elanna, Kira, Ezri, Jadzia, Nelix, Riker and now Billy and Salvador
RIP Tuvok and Yar:)

Offline Heartsib

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2006, 02:24:26 AM »
Your set-up is fantastic, wonderrodent! I feel like such an unworthy parent by comparison.  ;) My boys have the usual bird-toys and chew sticks. They get paper-towel rolls when we have them; they just seem to like taking them apart. Humans make great toys too.

Bandit: Let's see who can get down Mom's shirt the fastest!
Smokey: Whee!
Me: Hey! :o Geez...! Cold little rodent feet!

Offline Mossy

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 12:07:15 PM »
I discovered one night that Basil loves to play with any feather cat toy. She would chase it around my room and pounce on it them naw on it like she was a cat herself! She even chases around the cats and they run away in fear. She also loves to play tag and hide and go seek. She is so fun! My other rats dont do this... I geuss it all depends on the personality. Shes just a really hyper, bouncy little fur ball who loves to socialize.  ::)
From Kristina and her babies:
Basil, Angel and Mossykins
Ozzy the hamster
Smokey the cat
RIP Moon, I miss you my little songbird!
RIP Snickers and Ema, the bestest rats ever!

Offline Sapphire_Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • GIMMIE!!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2006, 03:04:57 PM »
is there any other free type ideas out there for rat toys? I don't have a petshop near by and would like to add something fun an special for the holiday for them to play with.
One Ferret boy by the name of Chulo...

Rest In Peace Our Little Angels:
Boo-Boo-sep 2007 rest in peace puppy girl
Zion-male beige dumbo
Micky-Male Pomerainian
Mischief~ Our black syrian hamster
Sugar~beige white girlie
Neptune~blue/white split cap dumbo

Offline gem_max

• Posts Too Much!
  • picaRAT!
    • g3mo.com
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2006, 11:36:31 PM »
A full tissue box (cheap one will do) is always fun to watch. They go nuts getting at the tissues and climbing inside despite the squish. It's messy, but you can ue the tissues as bedding after.

Also everynight I set up a big box castle in the bathroom and let them go crazy in there, or I set up a few boxes and tunnels under my covers and the rats go absolutely sillyfied. Very fun! (just means I wash my sheets a bit more than I used to... not a bad thing as a uni student).

Good fun can be had from making tunnels and ropes out of old jeans and trackpants.

Paper bags are good cheap options though not if you sleep close to the cage! Soooo noisey at night. It's also good to tie their nightly dinner up in a paper bag filled with other bits of paper etc and make them work for their dinner.

And I've found the little guys love drawstring. I always pull these out of my pants after getting fed up tying them every toilet trip so I give one end to the ratty and they run off with it and fold in into their hidey hole corners or drag it around like you would with a cat and they hop after it generally making a mess and racket in the process. Some pants you cant remove the drawstring so everytime you visit the cage these little hands are reaching out and taking you prisoner. Same goes for shoelaces...

Finally toes and cleavage are always good free fun... and WET HAIR! Though be warned... rats + long wet hair can get nasty  :BlueDumboSmile:

My Pokemons attack with shirt tug, power groom and pee dribble.

Offline Rattus_norvegicus

• Hector, Percy, Beavis, Butthead
    • Myspace
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 06:32:54 PM »
Awww...everyone has such great ideas! I'm a new rat owner, so I don't know much yet. I let them play with toilet paper rolls and run in and out of pvc pipes. 

The websites were really interesting but I was wondering is it okay to give the rats boiled eggs and chicken bones or could it possibly be a choking hazard?

???

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2007, 12:03:37 PM »
Rattus_norvegicus,

If you actually read the webpages listed in the first post, there are tons of ideas with free things, or things you already have around your house.

As for your food questions, please do a search for Forbidden Foods and you'll find what they are not allowed to eat.  Otherwise, just about anything in moderation in fine.   Also, next time, try not to hijack a toy thread with food questions. 

Offline Rattus_norvegicus

• Hector, Percy, Beavis, Butthead
    • Myspace
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2007, 02:32:17 PM »
Rattus_norvegicus,

If you actually read the webpages listed in the first post, there are tons of ideas with free things, or things you already have around your house.

As for your food questions, please do a search for Forbidden Foods and you'll find what they are not allowed to eat.  Otherwise, just about anything in moderation in fine.   Also, next time, try not to hijack a toy thread with food questions. 

Well, in fact, the reason I asked about foods is because that's precisely the ideas the website gave!