Author Topic: Basset with Allergies  (Read 3353 times)

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
Basset with Allergies
« on: July 31, 2006, 10:21:47 AM »
I have a 5 year old basset who has had horrible allergies for most of his life.  He's always itchy and always licking.  I know they are at least partly seasonal, because it does seem to calm down during the winter.  I have tried so many things over the years - different foods, shampoos, treats, meds.  The only thing I have found that truly worked on him was steroids from our vet.  I loved that he stopped scratching with them, but I really didn't want him to stay on them the rest of his life.  We were just hoping that they would stop the scratching and give it time to soothe.  Well, it did soothe, but as soon as they were done, the scratching continued.  As of right now he is on Nutro dog food and I bake his dog treats so I can know what goes in them.  Does anyone have any idea on some natural things I could try and give my boy to help his skin calm down?  I was considering buying these two products:

http://www.naturalpetmarket.com/productdetails2.cfm?Product_ID=ajaa

http://www.naturalpetmarket.com/productdetails2.cfm?Product_ID=ajfo

but I thought I'd see if anyone on here has any experience with them before spending the $40 plus shipping only to find out they don't do a darn thing.  I have had that happen so many times while trying to find things to stop this. 

Thanks so much!
Melissa
Owned by: Dopey the basset; Lacey the border mix, Stinky, Lila and Happy the kittehs; Diesel the ball python; Rosie the dumeril's boa; Chili the children's python; Angus the bearded; Petri the leopard gecko; Addy the crested gecko

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Basset with Allergies
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 11:49:53 AM »
I have not tried either of those products (or anything like them).

I too did not want my dog with allergies to live on steriods.

What I did for my dogs allergies was:  I had her allergy tested and she now gets allergy shots.  Yepper, just like your friend/neighbor/etc that gets them because they are allergic to your dog. 

They have worked WONDERFUL!

We are on the third year of them and this summer she has had almost no rash (no large rashes that is for sure, everything has been easily taken care of with topical creame) and her paws have been free of the nasty puss pockets they would get. 

Offline dragynflye

• Posts Too Much!
  • greetings from nikki and the horde!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 01:42:11 PM »
have you considered switching him to a raw diet?  that has cleared up any allergy problem on any dog i have ever known, no matter what the cause is. 

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 03:44:56 PM »
trubandloki:  That was another option I was considering, but I was also trying to avoid having to take him in for shots all the time.  If I have to, though, I might go that route.  I was basically trying to exhaust all the "easier" methods first.  You know, why jump straight to the more expensive option before even seeing if a simple one would do the trick?  However, they haven't, so lot of good it did us.  :-\

dragynflye:  I had seen raw diets mentioned different places, but wasn't quite sure about them.  So, it will really help him even if his allergies aren't food related?
Owned by: Dopey the basset; Lacey the border mix, Stinky, Lila and Happy the kittehs; Diesel the ball python; Rosie the dumeril's boa; Chili the children's python; Angus the bearded; Petri the leopard gecko; Addy the crested gecko

Offline dragynflye

• Posts Too Much!
  • greetings from nikki and the horde!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 03:58:58 PM »
yes, even if the allergies are not actually food related, a raw diet can seriously help.  one of my really good friends has an ibizian hound with severe seasonal allergies.  the poor thing would break out in hives and scratch himself raw (which really sucks when you have a show coming up).  it would last all spring and summer.  he was switched to a raw diet and within just a couple of weeks his itchies had disappeared and he'd started to heal.  it's been several years now and he's not had any problems! 

Offline Lmbswimmer

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 04:12:30 PM »
Raw diets do not always work.  My parents dog is to the point where he sees an Chinese herbalist/acupunturist and is on some dog food that costs $60 a week and is kangaroo based because he's not allergic to it.  Part of the problem is he is allergic to benedryl, and he becomes neurotic on prednazone.  He sees a local vet for most stuff, but he has a the herbalist, and another vet somewhere in Boston too. 
Up until the herbalist and the acupuncture they were considering euthanizing him because he was starting to get so sick.  He had no fur all the way up his legs, his gut and intestines were swollen, he was so itchy he was rubbing/licking his skin off.  Last year my parents spent more on the dog than on my sisters college education...

Definitely do the allergy testing to find out what he is allergic to.  Timex is allergic to grass - makes living in VT interesting, so after he goes outside in the tall grass he gets a special bath.  It's a good thing that he thinks baths are a treat and will automatically get in the bathtub and sit there until he gets one. 

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 07:32:11 AM »
have you considered switching him to a raw diet?  that has cleared up any allergy problem on any dog i have ever known, no matter what the cause is. 

My dog is allergic to willow trees, many molds, several types of grass, fleas, and many more things not worth listing.  We live next door to a swamp, willow trees are every where, and the sides of the road are filled with the one grass she is mainly allergic to.

Though I would love to change her to the raw diet, I do not think it would fix her issue consider they are all enviromental and not food.

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 07:35:44 AM »
trubandloki:  That was another option I was considering, but I was also trying to avoid having to take him in for shots all the time.  If I have to, though, I might go that route.  I was basically trying to exhaust all the "easier" methods first.  You know, why jump straight to the more expensive option before even seeing if a simple one would do the trick?  However, they haven't, so lot of good it did us.  :-\

I totally understand!

We tried several things before we went this route.

She spent one summer on benadryl.  It worked well for a while, but my poor dog acted like she was half asleep all the time.  I couldn't make her live like that.
We even took all the grass out of one area of the yard and put stone there and made it her area of the yard (not that she is outside much).  It helped some, but not tons.

We actually give the shots at home.  They are easy.  I'm sure if it came down to doing allergy shots you could do them too. 

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 11:23:09 AM »
We actually give the shots at home.

Oh, that's something I didn't know you could do!  I know I can give shots, SubQ or IM.  I'm a zookeeper and I have to give shots to the animals all the time (especially our geriatric goats  :-\), so I know I can do that.  I'd definately prefer that to having to drive him to the vet for them.  Thanks!

And thanks everyone for your replies!  I really appreciate it!

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 11:34:46 AM »
The allergy shots are SubQ.  So easy for even a normal person to do, way easy for you, since you have experience.

Offline Blu Rat

• Posts Too Much!
  • I strive to be the person my pets think i am...
    • Neo Rattery
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 03:08:53 PM »
Hello,
Unfortunatly this is a subject I know too much about. I have a minatute bull terrier who is 2 an 1/2 and has had allergies for two year. One way to tell wether your dog has env. allergies or food allergies is were the itching is localized. Dogs that tend to have itchy feet, stomach, or hocks as well as watery eyes and sometimes runny nose are environmental allergies. My dog has food allergies. She reacts on her neck and armpits. She too is constantly licking, itching and rubbing.
DONT, let your doctor give your dog too many cortizone steroid shots. You will spend alot of money on treatments with no long term cure. Cortizone shots last a day or two and can cause irreperiable dammage to the kidney and liver function if used repetedly.
Interdermal testing is the test they use were they give your dog 53 shots of the most common allergens and see what you dog reacts to. Then they can give you injections that start daily, then go to weekly then monthly. The problem with this is that nine times out of ten, when the persons dog starts looking better they thing theyre cured and stop the shots too early. It usually takes about  a year of injections to build up an immunity.
Interdermal testing works well when the allergen is one tested for, but statistically 50% of the time the test doesnt reveal what the dog is allergic to.

NOW, here is my very shortened version of raw diet. It is a wonderful tool, and can make your dog happy and healthy in many ways. But it is not a cure for allergies. Especially if your dog has a food allergy. I put my dog on a homemade raw diet for seven months and it did nothing for her allergies. It also made her very food aggresive. I know it doesnt do this for every dog, but she was unspayed show dog at the time and became very possesive over the raw. It helps their teeth, coat, eyes, and organs but is not for every dog. She is now on a vet diet called purina HA. Which basically has the protiens broken down so small the body doesnt have a reaction to it. Its sort of like carnation good start for babies with the protiens broken down.

My dog gets her vet diet, yeast, biotin, and omega 3 fish oils with vitamin e. And she still occasionally has breakouts.  I never thought allergies would be this bad, but they sure do make them miserable.
Good luck to you and your dog. Feel free to email me with any questions. Also one last thing, there is something called burts immune blend. People swear by it. It is originally for dogs with cancer, and immune system problems, but has been found to help allergies as well.
Good luck!
Em

Offline Vibrissa

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 12:04:50 PM »
I know this is almost a year later that I see this post, but I have a dog that has terrible skin allergies.  The vets tried everything--nothing helped--she would scratch her whole underside, paws, tail and rear end raw and until bleeding every and all summer each year.  Finally I did a ton of research and talked to homeopathic vets to confirm and began giving her neem leaf capsules twice a day and putting the Ark Naturals neem spray on her and rubbing it in especially when bothering her.  Then I read about all the other good things about humans and dogs taking neem.  In addition, it also keeps them flea and tick free and is now being tested as they think it also kills internal parasites as well as heartworm and prevents heartworm.  (The flea and tick part is confirmed, the other is being researched)  I quit using the chemical flea preventions and checked this out--we are two years free (two dogs on them now) of any ticks or fleas.  I am always checking her when brushing her and even go over her with a flea comb and not one flea in two years.  When she was getting the chemical solution between the shoulders, we and the groomer would ALWAYS find at LEAST one flea (also contributing to her allergies)!  She is almost allergy free now (NEVER has to scratch all the time and NEVER is totally bright red with bleeding!)  The vets and groomer (at the vet office) asked what I was doing and I told them.  They had me bring in the researched info and said, "If it works, go for it!"  There are many brands and dosages of neem leaf capsules--I get the Natures Way capsules on line from vitacost.com   Our dogs are 45 and 52 lbs and they get two capsules (coated with Smart Balance or Butter) in the morning and two in the evening.  The second dog started having allergies too last year, so we put him on them and quit the flea chemicals, too.  His allergie totally cleared up even without the Ark Naturals neem spray.