Author Topic: Smaller Size  (Read 4691 times)

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Smaller Size
« on: August 08, 2006, 10:24:00 AM »
Does a slow, difficult start at life affect growth potential in cats very much?  The 2 babies are currently 9 weeks old and weighed a pound and a pound and a half last week.    Were abandoned at a shop at 3 weeks old, given some time with a foster mother etc.  I'm not really worried about them, they are eatting great, very active, learning what the litter box is all about, just wondered if I should expect my little boys to maybe stay a little smaller.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Smaller Size
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 10:26:24 AM »
It certainly can make a difference.  Of course, some cats are just small naturally, too.  So long as they continue to eat and grow, I wouldn't worry about how big they get.  :)

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 09:10:29 PM »
Leo was small and behind the growth curve growing up. He was orphaned around the same age, 3 weeks I think. (I didnt keep records when I got him, so I can never remember how old he was, I think 2-3 weeks) I raised him on KMR, and now he is 2 years old and my largest cat at a whopping 11 lbs. (Though, I think he's gained more since seeing the vet in May.. I'm trying to control his intake, because he really cant afford to gain more. He's not overweight yet, but I don't want him getting there.)

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 11:13:40 PM »
... now he is 2 years old and my largest cat at a whopping 11 lbs...

Pardon me while I giggle...  My smallest is 16 lbs, and she's the only one who's overweight...  The other two are just monsters.  So when someone says 11 lbs is big, I get the giggles.  I'm convinced I just have mutant cats.

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 12:44:59 AM »
^^ :P Well, I had a roomate with a 28 lb cat. Though she was obese. Leo is 11lbs (though I think hes at least 12 by now.. I swear hes getting heavier, or maybe my arms are just weaker). Piper is 9.5 lbs, and I think Lorelai is 7.5 lbs.. Id have to double check vet records, but I think thats everyones weight. Lorelai is a very tiny cat, but I think she could stand to gain .5-1 lb. Its hard to tell, with all her fur. Piper should gain another lb, shes a bit on the thin side. Leo is solid muscle, and very stocky.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 05:41:17 PM »
Our largest is 22 pounds.  He's got love handles, but not terribly overweight.  He's just HUGE.  He can stand up next to me and put his paws on the kitchen counter, and butt his head into my hip...

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 05:42:28 PM »
Our largest is 22 pounds.  He's got love handles, but not terribly overweight.  He's just HUGE.  He can stand up next to me and put his paws on the kitchen counter, and butt his head into my hip...

I wanna see a picture of that one!

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 05:43:50 PM »
I'll try to get one next time I'm cutting up some chicken in the kitchen...

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 03:07:19 PM »
My Sasami (avatar) is only 6lbs...  she is TINY!  (and I looooove it!)

My bengal is 15lbs, all muscle.  Funny, coz I thought he was big - but your cats are monsters in comparison!!! 

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 03:56:01 PM »
This isn't a great pic, but it should give you an idea of his size...

I'm about 5'5", just to give a bit of perspective...

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 08:20:41 PM »
He is definately bigger than Yuki!   :shocked2:

Offline RKEM

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 02:33:13 PM »
This isn't a great pic, but it should give you an idea of his size...

I'm about 5'5", just to give a bit of perspective...

I think they sold you a miniature panther by mistake  :o

Offline norahl

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 11:26:01 AM »
Gorgeous cat!! We have a 5.5 month old Maine Coon (Simon) and I can't wait till he's full grown. Our other 4.5 month old cat (Spot), from a neighbor, was the biggest in the litter and both parents were huge cats.  But I think Spot has stopped growing or has really, really slowed down. He weighs only 3 lbs (to Simon's 9lbs).  He has a kind of bony look to him with a huge lion cup belly.  Before anyone asks, he is perfectly healthy, no worms, vet checked every month so far for shots and such.  Our neighbor kept the runt of the litter and I saw him yesterday.  He outweighs, and is bigger than, Spot.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 11:36:28 AM »
I think Elli  Is part maine coon - She weighs between 11 and 12 lbs.

The kittens are around a pound still.  They went to the vet again and she said they are healthy, just small.  And they eat like champs.  So we're just keeping working with them.

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 11:35:28 PM »
Our largest is 16 lbs. Naturally, that would be our orange tabby male. He's 6yrs old. Then there is our smallest at 6lbs. That's Lily, our 5yr old calico female who thinks she's a ferret reincarnated into a cat.

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2006, 01:13:59 AM »
Our largest is 16 lbs. Naturally, that would be our orange tabby male. He's 6yrs old. Then there is our smallest at 6lbs. That's Lily, our 5yr old calico female who thinks she's a ferret reincarnated into a cat.

-Melina

Isn't it fun picking up one, then the other?  My Sasami feels like she weighs NOTHING in comparison to my Yuki...  :)