Author Topic: Raw Meaty Bones and Tiny Dogs?  (Read 8553 times)

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
Raw Meaty Bones and Tiny Dogs?
« on: August 09, 2006, 04:00:21 AM »
I am waiting to hear back if I was approved to be a foster home for the Italian Greyhound rescue near me. For those not familiar with IGs, they are 5-15 lbs on average and a toy breed. Not related at all to the greyhound. I was wondering if small dogs can eat raw meaty bones too? Like, are their mouths big enough/jaws strong enough? I have been unable to get my cats to eat prey style raw meat, so I use the ground raw meat for them still. Ive been feeding my GSD various RMBs like chicken wings, pork necks, etc. I was wondering if an IG can eat them too. The whole basis of the raw diet, is how its evolutionarily correct for dogs as a species.. But toy breeds don't really fit in with natural evolution?

Offline dragynflye

• Posts Too Much!
  • greetings from nikki and the horde!
Re: Raw Meaty Bones and Tiny Dogs?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 01:20:25 PM »
i was fostering a three pound chimutt at one point.  she was eating raw like a champ!  had no problems with chicken wings, backs, necks (i got those just for her, too small for any one else).  she also got basically the same things as the big kids, just less and it took her waaaaaay longer to eat!  have you invested in a good pair of kitched shears yet?  'cause those things are a life saver!  i'd basically just snip things down to a more appropriate size!

Offline elegy

• Posts Too Much!
  • obey the pit bull.
    • shattering.org
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 02:58:54 PM »
i know several people who raw feed small dogs like chihuahuas and papillons. there's no reason an IG can't eat raw too if given appropriately sized portions.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 03:12:22 PM »
I would say check with the group you are fostering for.  I know personally if I adopted a dog that had been in foster for Xmonths and wasn't used to any type of food I can buy at any pet store I would be very irritated at having to buy raw for that one pet and figure out how to swtich them from something I do not know about, or have to research quickly and find places to buy the stuff. 

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 08:44:47 PM »
^^ I do not feed only raw. The Rescue knows that I feed a combination of kibble, canned, and raw. And if they have a problem with me feeding only the best quality kibble and canned, well then thats just too bad.

Also, the food I buy is not available at "pet stores" you really need to go to an actual feed store to get good quality food. And a raw diet, is easier to find than a good dog food seeing as you can pick it up with the rest of your groceries.

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 10:43:50 PM »
I would say check with the group you are fostering for.  I know personally if I adopted a dog that had been in foster for Xmonths and wasn't used to any type of food I can buy at any pet store I would be very irritated at having to buy raw for that one pet and figure out how to swtich them from something I do not know about, or have to research quickly and find places to buy the stuff.

alternatively, many rescues can and are annoyed at owners who think that feeding high quality foods, doing research, paying the money and doing the legwork to find the foods, is a waste of time. it works both ways - if you dont like it, then dont adopt from them. personally every rescue ive ever fostered, etc - has been completely raw fed. thats MY perogative. i have to pay for the food, and thats what i will pay for.
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 10:47:08 PM »
But I thought the rescue still had some say on what the dogs should be feeding.  With feeding all raw to fosters are you supplying the info to the owners?  Is it posted with the animal that is up for adoption that that is what they need to be fed?

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 10:52:14 PM »
Kat, why do you enter the raw meat threads? We know you dont believe in raw diet, so why bother coming in to the threads only to start controversy?

edit: As for the dogs Ive fostered, yes Ive provided the adoptive owners with information about what I was feeding. I typed up a document and then emailed it to them, of a brief description on how to read an ingredient label. I also give them a small sample of what I had been feeding and telling them exactly where they can purchase the same brand. No, the rescues/shelters generaly dont make any big deal about what you feed. YOU are buying the food, not them. As long as the animal is healthy and well taken care of, they dont care what diet your using. Your doing them a great favour by taking in this animal, working with it and feeding it. They arent going to demand you feed X brand of food. As far as the humane society in my city, the employees dont even know anything about nutrition. They have told me that Science Diet was the best pet food there is, and didnt care to learn why its really not.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 11:16:59 PM by ~Lin »

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 09:37:58 AM »
I agree - you don't agree with feeding raw and you have made it clear multiple times -  why post just to disagree?
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 10:02:08 AM »
and yes, little dogs can eat RMB's - not only do i raw feed my fosters, but i rawfeed my visiting guest dogs :) no kibble in MY household :)

WARNING RAWFEEDINGPICS FOLLOW..

you were warned :)

duke is a 10 lb min pin. and i believe that was his first raw meal, ever :)

while across the room that evening, this is what you would have seen.
bowie is thinking watson is a pretttttttty daring cat.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 10:08:39 AM »
I agree - you don't agree with feeding raw and you have made it clear multiple times -  why post just to disagree?

I am trying to learn.  Asking questions is one way to learn.  You are posting on a public forum and I thought having a different opinion was allowed.  Maybe I'm not the only one here who does not understand the raw diet?  Often if one person has a question, so does someone else who is lurking rather than asking.

I understand that shelters are not the ones paying for the food for an animal once they are in foster care, but they are responsible for the animal and the adoption of the animal.  I had asked if they were informed that a raw diet is being fed?  Do people know before the animals you fostered are inquired about that your method of feeding is not what most people are used to doing for a pet? 

If you think raw diet is great, that is fine.  I'm still waiting for a reason to verify that in present day, not fresh from the bone meat, is safe, and how you can be sure of that - but it doesn't seem to be a question anyone is able or willing to answer.  I understand in the wild k-9's and felines ate meat.  BUT they killed it and ate it, not waited a week or so and then ate it.  It was fresh. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 10:16:12 AM by *Kat* »

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 10:22:21 AM »
Some wild pics there kim :) I will def feed the fosters raw too then. Theres 2 reasons why I'm not on a pure raw diet yet... One is because I'm still having issues keeping my OWN diet down while feeding the crew, and 2 theres the convience of kibble for my pets when I go out of town. For the dog, its easier to bring kibble with me, and for the cats I can leave kibble in a gravity feeder if I need to be gone for 2-3 days. But lately Ive been feeding 90% raw and canned, and 10% kibble. I wish I could just convince my cats that prey style meat is good, because the ground meat is the hardest for me to handle feeding.

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 10:34:08 AM »
what difference does fresh v. frozen meat make to you? if anything, fresh meat is one of the few things i REALLY don't think I would feed (and I have the option too - I have a source of fresh pasture-raised beef, calves, and pig that the woman literally slaughters in her backyard or in the field and will ship out to you on ice). THAT is the meat I am concerned about being unclean and full of parasites. The only fresh food I would feed is something I raised myself - otherwise I want it to have gone through a USDA slaughterhouse and inspected to at least SOME degree. I know if it made it into a slaughterhouse in some areas, the pork will be essentially free of trichinosis or pseudorabies (Since we inspect for it). I know if it goes to a slaughterhouse, an animal that died unnaturally will not be, or should not be, approved for human consumption. I know if its lungs were full of abscesses, if it's liver had many masses, or it's muscle meat was riddled with parasites, the meat will not be approved for human consumption (and ironically, it will go to be fed to dogs and cats in kibble!). I have no such assumption or assurances with Joe Farmer in Pennsyltucky who kills Bessie out in the back pasture - or worse yet, Bessie just died out there and he slaughters her 10 hours after she's been sitting there.

adult cats are the HARDEST thing to transition - my cats won't eat every meat in RMB form, and won't eat every meat in ground form, either - in fact they are very picky and tend not to want to eat things repeatedly (ie no beef two meals in a row) - unlike my dogs. They have certain favorites though, which include beef heart and whole rabbits, so that's always a plus. and yes, thats why watson is licking up rabbit juice from that plate and dared enter bowie's realm -- rabbit is THAT YUMMY.

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 10:36:10 AM »
and no, i have never hid what i fed to anyone - its on my adoption and foster applications that i feed, and always intend to feed, raw.

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 10:40:52 AM »
Off topic, but Watson does really look like my Lorelai. Shes going to the vet this afternoon at 1:30... Her chin is hairless and rubbed raw to bleeding in 2 spots. A couple months back she had feline acne that I treated with 10% benzoyl peroxide gel per vet instructions.. It cleared up, but now its back or something else is going on. Also she has a hairless patch on her forehead thats been hairless for WEEKS. I dont know if its related, it started much smaller and looked like she skinned it or something in a tiny area and it just expanded. Its not ringworm though, and she IS starting to grow hair back there finaly... Because I love this picture, I'll share this one...

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 10:44:01 AM »
is lorelai the new kitty you just got, or one of your other ones?

sounds a lot like allergies in cats...

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 10:46:46 AM »
Lorelai is the new kitty, I adopted her around mid June I think. She had the feline acne going on pretty bad when she arrived, and also had an upper respiratory infection with eye involvment upon arrival so she saw my vet the day after I got her. The original rescue that took her in DID call her a Birman, but the main rescue changed it to siamese/balinese mix. So Ive been calling her a Birman after talking to you, and talking to her foster mom who also called her a Birman. (not that her breed has anything to do with the ongoing conversation, but since we've discussed it  ;D )

Edit: I forgot to add, that since I got her into my vets office so fast, they didnt have me seeing my usual vet but instead one of her partners. I wasnt as impressed with him as I am with my usual vet, so when I scheduled todays appointment I requested her.

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 10:56:59 AM »

I understand that shelters are not the ones paying for the food for an animal once they are in foster care, but they are responsible for the animal and the adoption of the animal.  I had asked if they were informed that a raw diet is being fed?  Do people know before the animals you fostered are inquired about that your method of feeding is not what most people are used to doing for a pet? 

Well, I know that when I picked up my foster girl last night (from the humane society) no one asked me what I planned on feeding her.  They know I have dogs that look to be healthy and figure I will provide the foster dog with comparable food.  (I do not feed raw right now, but would like to)

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 11:00:38 AM »
yeah trub - some shelters are so desperate to get animals into foster care, they could care less what you feed an animal.

personally i had a client yesterday who we were discussing problems in her dog, etc - and she pulled me aside in the waiting room to whisper -- i *also* feed him people food, could that be it? she just about dropped dead when i said absolutely NOT, that i didnt want her to stop feeding her dog people food :) 

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2006, 11:02:23 AM »
and yeah lin, i still think shes a birman.

watson says he is offended that someone expects him to actually kill something to eat it. he would like you to place it by his face and back away quickly so he can eat without moving, thankyouverymuch.

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2006, 11:08:17 AM »
Ive always fed my dogs table scraps, in reasonable amounts. Nothing cleans by dishes before the dishwasher like my Tessa!!! When I'm done eating macaroni and cheese and theres real cheese stuck to the walls of the bowl, Tessa does my prescrubbing before I stick it in the dishwasher. I also often eat pasta dishes from lean cuisine (I'm veggie, so the majority of my diet is carbs...) and I always let Tessa lick the leftover sauce before I toss the plastic dish. If I'm out at a restaurant and ordering something that usualy comes with meat, I just ask them to package up the meat for me and I bring it home for her and the cats. On holidays, I always ask to bring home some meat scraps for the pets. I see nothing wrong with feeding "people" food. If your feeding purely table scraps in a non balanced matter, then yes theres a problem... On another forum (non pet) someone got very rude with me for feeding table scraps, saying how wrong it is. But the same person feeds her dog Ol Roy from walmart and I couldnt for the life of me get her to understand why thats bad.

And since this is turning into a kitty thread too, more pics :D The first one was shortly after I got her, so you can see the feline acne issue going on, her chin is quite dark (it had minimal hair and was covered in blackheads)

And I love this picture... My bed is a couple inches from the wall, to allow the side of the comforter to fit down. Lorelai thought it was the perfect place to *hang* out.

Edited to Add: Just got back from the vet. The forehead thing on Lorelai is very suspicious and looks fungal under a blacklight, so she is on "program" one giant pill with food today, and one giant pill with food in 2 weeks. As for her chin, its completely unrelated to the forehead. It *could* be an allergy, so for the time being Lorelai is strictly on canned rabbit. Its also looking pretty nasty, so I was given pyoben gel for it topicaly and cefa-drops oraly.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 02:38:54 PM by ~Lin »

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2006, 02:35:04 PM »
Kim, I think that Min Pin makes that raw stuff look like it is very enjoyable....

(if you like raw stuff, I myself like my meats cooked)

Offline elegy

• Posts Too Much!
  • obey the pit bull.
    • shattering.org
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2006, 02:54:55 PM »
catzilla's my only cat who will have anything to do with raw. the kitten we're teaching from the very beginning :)

my mom had one of her cats to the vet several weeks ago and the vet suggested she add raw meaty bones to their diet for teeth-cleaning reasons. i was rather surprised and quite happy to hear that.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2006, 04:38:17 PM »
How often do you wash your kitchen floors with this diet, and it does not seem like an option if there are small children in the house - how is that handled?

Offline elle

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006, 05:11:21 PM »
yay raw kitty thread... my kittens joined the wonderful world of bone crunching at 8 weeks...

toke trying to attract the lady cats by licking his meat sexy-like

kiwi chowing down on rabbit pieces

they really are good carnivores. there is practically nothing they won't eat, except chicken thighs, apparently!?! they love rabbit (i can get whole, quartered rabbit for $3/lb at the foodstore here). they love any type of heart -- beef, turkey, chicken -- love to chew meat off lab stew bones. toke's favorite meat seems to be pork... he goes nuts for pork roasts and ribs. they both love lamb, too. they eat whole prey very well so far (whole chickens, cornish game hens, rabbits). pretty soon we're going to be trying whole-whole prey (feathers, fur, etc)...

Kat - I clean the kitchen floor off every time they eat. Kiwi refuses to eat from bowls and will drag anything i put down out of the bowl.  I use cleaner/paper towels to clean up where they eat after every meal (really not a big deal, squirt squirt, wipe) and i swiffer the whole kitchen about once a week. If you have small children in the house, I would simply reccomend the same thing I would say for any diet -- when the pet is eating, keep the child away. Many many animals can be protective of food, in no case should small children be left alone with an animal eating ANYTHING. If you are careful to keep your kid supervised and teach them to leave the animal alone when eating, it shouldn't be a problem to clean up before the child plays in that area.

And, as a microbiologist, I really do think the chance of normal, healthy, adults getting sick from raw meat is much less than common hype makes it out to be. If you are immunocompromised in anyway, you might want to consult with your doctor about the risks raw meat poses to you. But, for the rest of us, as long as you don't let meat sit out for days and then eat it, the risk is quite small... just having it around in your house is highly unlikely it will pose a real danger to you.

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2006, 08:24:14 PM »
hey now, get your kitty pics out of here!

this is what rah had for breakfast :)

as far as how i clean - typically after eating i let rah outside to run the meat off his feet, especially if we are going to bed afterwards :) on particularly dirty meals, i will use baby wipes to clean his feet.

as for cleaning the floors, i do it as lydia does (Since she learned raw feeding from moi!) - i spot clean the areas they eat, usually using either my lavendar cleaner, my parsley cleaner, my bleach, or the bleach wipes. ill admit though for some meals i dont clean up much if at all - the dogs lick the floor and thats enough for me. rah chews some of this stuff on a carpet, so i toss it in the laundry once a week.

Offline dragynflye

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2006, 08:27:41 PM »
oh my gosh kim, raw is gorgous!!!  and i love the angle of that first pic!

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2006, 08:53:29 PM »
go see his other picture thread :) but thanks :) (and freudian slip there with his name? !!!!)

Offline rhinecat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2006, 09:08:12 PM »
How often do you wash your kitchen floors with this diet, and it does not seem like an option if there are small children in the house - how is that handled?

The dogs are pretty neat about eating--I can put down a rag or towel and both will sit and eat in that area. I guess you could also put disinfectant in the wash if you were immunocompromised or just very concerned about meat germs. If you drop something on the floor or let the dogs eat off the floor, there are antimicrobial wipes, Swiffers, etc.

I don't know why it wouldn't be an option with kids in the house--I feed my parents' dog recreational bones with my cousins there, my dogs are fed at their house while I'm there, the kids eat meat, etc. You could crate your dog while they ate, if there was any chance your child might want to go grabbing at the dog's food, perhaps.

Anyone within reach of St. Louis is welcome!

Offline dragynflye

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2006, 09:30:12 PM »
go see his other picture thread :) but thanks :) (and freudian slip there with his name? !!!!)

ROFLMAO

didn't even realize i'd done that!

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2006, 10:15:11 PM »
just to update, my two little carnivore cats just devoured their first whole chicks :) feathers included!

Offline rapforjane

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ich kam, ich sah, ich siegte
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2006, 10:32:25 PM »
Kim, where does one get whole feathery chicks? I'd like to start getting rabbit, too, if you could recommend an online distributor. I'm in AZ, not a lot of options for a raw diet locally outside of chicken/turkey/beef/lamb. :(

Offline elle

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2006, 02:34:18 AM »
Kim, where does one get whole feathery chicks? I'd like to start getting rabbit, too, if you could recommend an online distributor. I'm in AZ, not a lot of options for a raw diet locally outside of chicken/turkey/beef/lamb. :(

kim's chicks came from www.rodentpro.com, we placed an order together and it just arrived today. i haven't gotten a chance to let my beasts try the chicks yet... tomorrow morning, though. rodentpro also has rabbits.

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2006, 02:41:19 AM »
The site isnt loading for me Elle. I cannot feed anything with fur/feathers though, do they carry like quartered up meat? So far Ive only been able to get chicken, beef, and pork around here... I think I could feed rabbit, if it came quartered up. But I could not feed it whole or cut it up myself, I used to be a rabbit breeder.

Kim, so there is little to no chance of getting my cats to eat prey style? they are 2,3, and 6. They were slow to try the ground meat, but now enjoy it as much as their canned. But when I tried prey style they wouldnt touch it, I even tried offering it again at the next meal without having offered can inbetween. I thought maybe if they were hungry enough they would try it. Instead I got the "what the heck is this mom? Wheres my food?!" look.

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2006, 07:02:48 AM »
Well, since this has become a raw for everyone thread... I have another question for your raw experts (that I am so very jealous of).

The foster girl is a greyhound.  I've been told they are prone to teeth issues.  Eating real bones is probably the best thing for keeping teeth clean.

(correct me if I'm wrong)

Since the hubby cringes if I mention feeding raw, and we do not have any freezer space, I'm some what limited, but wonder if a periodic raw bone would be helpful for the teeth thing and be OK with the tummy?  And if so, what is the best way to go with the periodic theme?  (I realize all raw is better!)  What meats, etc?

When I buy the frozen 'soup' bones at the grocery (which have gotten crazy expensive for a bone with almost nothing on it) Loki (the pitbull) uses pukes everything up at 3am.  Will this get better if I feed raw more often?

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2006, 07:08:55 AM »
I'm no raw expert... But I can try to help. First, whats a raw "soup" bone?

As far as no freezer space and feeding raw bones, how about something like one small sized RMB a day? Like chicken wings or pork necks (which seem to be the easiest for me to find right now). You could buy them in smaller packages and I think they would be find in the fridge till all was gone. I've been buying the big packages and then breaking it up into gladlock storage tubs. Then I keep one tub in the fridge and the others in the freezer.. (oh, and yes raw bones are the best thing for teeth cleaning)

Offline dragynflye

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2006, 10:00:30 AM »
mine are all back on kibble right now, but i still go up to the commissary and pick up soup bones for them as treats every once in a while.  since it's been so hot lately, i even give them still frozen (outside, though, cause that is messsssssy!)  and once they get all the meat off, they love it when i'll take the bone and stuff it with peanutbutter, or sometimes plain yogurt.  that can also be given to them frozen as a great way to help them keep cool and clean their teeth (and it's a lot cheaper than keeping stocked in greenies!)

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2006, 10:07:05 AM »
I'm no raw expert... But I can try to help. First, whats a raw "soup" bone?

It is a bone that they sell so people can make them into soup stock I believe (I can not guess why else they would package them that way).  They sell them frozen (near the turkeys, etc) I'm guessing becuase they have a much better shelf life that way.

What they are, I believe, is a piece of femur cut into a piece about 4" or such long.  It still has the marrow inside and some 'stuff' on the outside.  No real chunks of meat.

I'm sorry to ask such silly questions, I know it has been covered time and time again, but I just want to be SURE.  One of our dogs (the rottie) is not a chewer.  If I buy chicken wings (easy to get frozen in a big bag) will he chew them or just wolf them down?  If he wolfs it down is it an issue?  (I realize it will not help with teeth).

Do they sell necks in the meat department or do you have to ask for them?

All the silly questions because.... I would like to try this but I know the hubby will not like it so I want to make sure I keep the chances of a rush to the vet to a minimum...

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2006, 10:11:29 AM »
I get my turkey necks from the feed store actualy, sold by the Natures Variety brand. Pork neck pieces Ive found in a large tub with shrink rap in the meat section. I have heard about a butcher in my city that I need to go visit though. If the soup bone is a femur, its not a rmb. Raw meaty bones are ones that are entirely consumable (like chicken wings), a large strong bone like a cow femur would be a recreational bone (chewed but not consumed). As far as gulping, I'm not sure what kind of problems that could cause. But my dog gulps ground meat and canned, while chewing her rmbs very well. So you can give it a shot and see if she crunches them or not..

Offline dragynflye

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2006, 10:50:00 AM »
killian would inhale his kibble.....  just suck it all up like a hoover...  we tried all the "tricks" you read about to get them to slow down and chew their food and it never worked.  this terrified me because of the possibiblity of him bloating.

when we were feeding raw, he actually took the time and chewed his food.  raw required more effort for him to eat (so he had to chew) and he actually seemed to enjoy it more. 

don't know if it's the same with every "gulper" though.  maybe try him on something large enough that he has to chew it.  a whole turkey neck would be pretty dang hard to gulp down!

i can't wait until i can switch the kids back to raw!!!!

Offline elle

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2006, 01:02:52 PM »
If you have a large dog that is not a chewer, you're right - you should be careful with things like chicken wings that they can gulp down whole. Instead, you could try something like chicken breast with the ribs still in (very easy to get, lots of good meat, not overwhelming bones, pieces big enough to make doggie have to chew).

As far as pork necks go, the only ones I have seen around here are already cut up into probably 2" x 2" squares. Again, you should be careful with any pre-cut bones because they can have sharp sharp edges that can do damage if the animals is consuming them whole. I use these for my cats because I know with the pork necks, all they will do is tear the meat off and leave the sharp bones behind.

And no, rodentpro does not sell quartered or prepped meats. They only sell whole, frozen feeder animals. You can try looking for distributors in your area from places like Bravo! if you want more prepped, but still "whole" RMBs.

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2006, 04:08:13 PM »

For all the people feeding poultry, do the fragile chicken bones pose a problem?  I know that wolves consume wild birds just fine, but when people are talking about dogs chewing up chicken bones, the sharp splintery edges of a broken bird bone comes to mind.  Is that not sharp?  My friend works at a vet's office and she said she's seen dogs come in with broken chicken bones lodged in their throats that require surgery to remove if they're able to be saved at all.  Any thoughts?

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2006, 04:48:53 PM »
If I'm reading right the animals should chew the bones and there are more problems with cooked bones than raw bones...

Offline dragynflye

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2006, 05:01:13 PM »
cooking bones of any type dries them out and causes them to splinter.  raw, uncooked bones don't splinter. 

on a side note.... people seem to assume that those horrible smoked bones you can get at petstores and such are safe..... they splinter worse than anything i have ever seen! 

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2006, 09:25:04 PM »
First, I don't personally consider chicken wings appropriately sized RMB's for anything over 10-15 lbs - i am sure umbrella can feed them to her chi's, and i have fed them to my cats and to one of my doberman, but never as a meal that would be used to clean teeth - they are entirely too small for most dogs and they can swallow them without chewing - means they are at a risk for obstructing and/or choking. secondy, they are also entirely too boney IMO with virtually no meat on them, so not a good thing for anything more than occ. feeding.

The rodentpro website works for me - so far my cats have eaten two of the things we ordered, and I havea  quail thawing for them right now. I don't think its hopeless - Watson, who DEVOURED the chicks, is almost 12 years old best I can recall, and I can certainly guarantee was not rawfed for the first 9-10 years of his life. It's a game of give and take - some things they will not eat, other things they adore. I feed whole as much as I can of what they adore, and then ground and canned when they need variety.

Offline moonsingingfreak

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2006, 06:17:11 PM »
I think this question is for Lin... or whoever feeds a raw/kibble mix diet.
I had heard some time ago that raw really needs to be fed on it's own, something about going between the two being hard on the system. You said you used a small amount of kibble in relation to the raw. How do you integrate this into their diet? If I am completely wrong about raw needing to be exclusive... please correct me! I am just curious, I don't know a whole lot about raw.

Edited to add: there's a whole other thread about raw. Silly me. I will go read that.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 06:19:17 PM by moonsingingfreak »

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2006, 08:39:14 PM »
since you went off to read the other raw thread, I'm sure you already know but I'll answer anyway. Thats a myth, about raw needing to be fed exclusively or not at all. Kim dispells it in the other thread, and I haven't had any problems feeding raw with kibble and canned food.

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2006, 11:57:14 PM »
what matters most is what your animal can tolerate. some animals cannot tolerate it, many (most?) tolerate feeding both just fine. my cats currently get raw and canned food, my first dog in the past ate kibble and some raw (even in the same meal, GASP!) just fine. i know other dogs that cannot tolerate it -let your dog be the guide.