Author Topic: Raw Meaty Bones and Tiny Dogs?  (Read 8802 times)

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
Re: Raw Meaty Bones and Tiny Dogs?
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2006, 08:24:14 PM »
hey now, get your kitty pics out of here!

this is what rah had for breakfast :)

as far as how i clean - typically after eating i let rah outside to run the meat off his feet, especially if we are going to bed afterwards :) on particularly dirty meals, i will use baby wipes to clean his feet.

as for cleaning the floors, i do it as lydia does (Since she learned raw feeding from moi!) - i spot clean the areas they eat, usually using either my lavendar cleaner, my parsley cleaner, my bleach, or the bleach wipes. ill admit though for some meals i dont clean up much if at all - the dogs lick the floor and thats enough for me. rah chews some of this stuff on a carpet, so i toss it in the laundry once a week.
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC

Offline dragynflye

• Posts Too Much!
  • greetings from nikki and the horde!
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2006, 08:27:41 PM »
oh my gosh kim, raw is gorgous!!!  and i love the angle of that first pic!

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2006, 08:53:29 PM »
go see his other picture thread :) but thanks :) (and freudian slip there with his name? !!!!)
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG

Offline rhinecat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2006, 09:08:12 PM »
How often do you wash your kitchen floors with this diet, and it does not seem like an option if there are small children in the house - how is that handled?

The dogs are pretty neat about eating--I can put down a rag or towel and both will sit and eat in that area. I guess you could also put disinfectant in the wash if you were immunocompromised or just very concerned about meat germs. If you drop something on the floor or let the dogs eat off the floor, there are antimicrobial wipes, Swiffers, etc.

I don't know why it wouldn't be an option with kids in the house--I feed my parents' dog recreational bones with my cousins there, my dogs are fed at their house while I'm there, the kids eat meat, etc. You could crate your dog while they ate, if there was any chance your child might want to go grabbing at the dog's food, perhaps.

Anyone within reach of St. Louis is welcome!

Offline dragynflye

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2006, 09:30:12 PM »
go see his other picture thread :) but thanks :) (and freudian slip there with his name? !!!!)

ROFLMAO

didn't even realize i'd done that!

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2006, 10:15:11 PM »
just to update, my two little carnivore cats just devoured their first whole chicks :) feathers included!

Offline rapforjane

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ich kam, ich sah, ich siegte
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2006, 10:32:25 PM »
Kim, where does one get whole feathery chicks? I'd like to start getting rabbit, too, if you could recommend an online distributor. I'm in AZ, not a lot of options for a raw diet locally outside of chicken/turkey/beef/lamb. :(

Offline elle

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2006, 02:34:18 AM »
Kim, where does one get whole feathery chicks? I'd like to start getting rabbit, too, if you could recommend an online distributor. I'm in AZ, not a lot of options for a raw diet locally outside of chicken/turkey/beef/lamb. :(

kim's chicks came from www.rodentpro.com, we placed an order together and it just arrived today. i haven't gotten a chance to let my beasts try the chicks yet... tomorrow morning, though. rodentpro also has rabbits.

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2006, 02:41:19 AM »
The site isnt loading for me Elle. I cannot feed anything with fur/feathers though, do they carry like quartered up meat? So far Ive only been able to get chicken, beef, and pork around here... I think I could feed rabbit, if it came quartered up. But I could not feed it whole or cut it up myself, I used to be a rabbit breeder.

Kim, so there is little to no chance of getting my cats to eat prey style? they are 2,3, and 6. They were slow to try the ground meat, but now enjoy it as much as their canned. But when I tried prey style they wouldnt touch it, I even tried offering it again at the next meal without having offered can inbetween. I thought maybe if they were hungry enough they would try it. Instead I got the "what the heck is this mom? Wheres my food?!" look.

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2006, 07:02:48 AM »
Well, since this has become a raw for everyone thread... I have another question for your raw experts (that I am so very jealous of).

The foster girl is a greyhound.  I've been told they are prone to teeth issues.  Eating real bones is probably the best thing for keeping teeth clean.

(correct me if I'm wrong)

Since the hubby cringes if I mention feeding raw, and we do not have any freezer space, I'm some what limited, but wonder if a periodic raw bone would be helpful for the teeth thing and be OK with the tummy?  And if so, what is the best way to go with the periodic theme?  (I realize all raw is better!)  What meats, etc?

When I buy the frozen 'soup' bones at the grocery (which have gotten crazy expensive for a bone with almost nothing on it) Loki (the pitbull) uses pukes everything up at 3am.  Will this get better if I feed raw more often?

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2006, 07:08:55 AM »
I'm no raw expert... But I can try to help. First, whats a raw "soup" bone?

As far as no freezer space and feeding raw bones, how about something like one small sized RMB a day? Like chicken wings or pork necks (which seem to be the easiest for me to find right now). You could buy them in smaller packages and I think they would be find in the fridge till all was gone. I've been buying the big packages and then breaking it up into gladlock storage tubs. Then I keep one tub in the fridge and the others in the freezer.. (oh, and yes raw bones are the best thing for teeth cleaning)

Offline dragynflye

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2006, 10:00:30 AM »
mine are all back on kibble right now, but i still go up to the commissary and pick up soup bones for them as treats every once in a while.  since it's been so hot lately, i even give them still frozen (outside, though, cause that is messsssssy!)  and once they get all the meat off, they love it when i'll take the bone and stuff it with peanutbutter, or sometimes plain yogurt.  that can also be given to them frozen as a great way to help them keep cool and clean their teeth (and it's a lot cheaper than keeping stocked in greenies!)

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2006, 10:07:05 AM »
I'm no raw expert... But I can try to help. First, whats a raw "soup" bone?

It is a bone that they sell so people can make them into soup stock I believe (I can not guess why else they would package them that way).  They sell them frozen (near the turkeys, etc) I'm guessing becuase they have a much better shelf life that way.

What they are, I believe, is a piece of femur cut into a piece about 4" or such long.  It still has the marrow inside and some 'stuff' on the outside.  No real chunks of meat.

I'm sorry to ask such silly questions, I know it has been covered time and time again, but I just want to be SURE.  One of our dogs (the rottie) is not a chewer.  If I buy chicken wings (easy to get frozen in a big bag) will he chew them or just wolf them down?  If he wolfs it down is it an issue?  (I realize it will not help with teeth).

Do they sell necks in the meat department or do you have to ask for them?

All the silly questions because.... I would like to try this but I know the hubby will not like it so I want to make sure I keep the chances of a rush to the vet to a minimum...

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2006, 10:11:29 AM »
I get my turkey necks from the feed store actualy, sold by the Natures Variety brand. Pork neck pieces Ive found in a large tub with shrink rap in the meat section. I have heard about a butcher in my city that I need to go visit though. If the soup bone is a femur, its not a rmb. Raw meaty bones are ones that are entirely consumable (like chicken wings), a large strong bone like a cow femur would be a recreational bone (chewed but not consumed). As far as gulping, I'm not sure what kind of problems that could cause. But my dog gulps ground meat and canned, while chewing her rmbs very well. So you can give it a shot and see if she crunches them or not..

Offline dragynflye

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2006, 10:50:00 AM »
killian would inhale his kibble.....  just suck it all up like a hoover...  we tried all the "tricks" you read about to get them to slow down and chew their food and it never worked.  this terrified me because of the possibiblity of him bloating.

when we were feeding raw, he actually took the time and chewed his food.  raw required more effort for him to eat (so he had to chew) and he actually seemed to enjoy it more. 

don't know if it's the same with every "gulper" though.  maybe try him on something large enough that he has to chew it.  a whole turkey neck would be pretty dang hard to gulp down!

i can't wait until i can switch the kids back to raw!!!!

Offline elle

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2006, 01:02:52 PM »
If you have a large dog that is not a chewer, you're right - you should be careful with things like chicken wings that they can gulp down whole. Instead, you could try something like chicken breast with the ribs still in (very easy to get, lots of good meat, not overwhelming bones, pieces big enough to make doggie have to chew).

As far as pork necks go, the only ones I have seen around here are already cut up into probably 2" x 2" squares. Again, you should be careful with any pre-cut bones because they can have sharp sharp edges that can do damage if the animals is consuming them whole. I use these for my cats because I know with the pork necks, all they will do is tear the meat off and leave the sharp bones behind.

And no, rodentpro does not sell quartered or prepped meats. They only sell whole, frozen feeder animals. You can try looking for distributors in your area from places like Bravo! if you want more prepped, but still "whole" RMBs.

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2006, 04:08:13 PM »

For all the people feeding poultry, do the fragile chicken bones pose a problem?  I know that wolves consume wild birds just fine, but when people are talking about dogs chewing up chicken bones, the sharp splintery edges of a broken bird bone comes to mind.  Is that not sharp?  My friend works at a vet's office and she said she's seen dogs come in with broken chicken bones lodged in their throats that require surgery to remove if they're able to be saved at all.  Any thoughts?

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2006, 04:48:53 PM »
If I'm reading right the animals should chew the bones and there are more problems with cooked bones than raw bones...

Offline dragynflye

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2006, 05:01:13 PM »
cooking bones of any type dries them out and causes them to splinter.  raw, uncooked bones don't splinter. 

on a side note.... people seem to assume that those horrible smoked bones you can get at petstores and such are safe..... they splinter worse than anything i have ever seen! 

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2006, 09:25:04 PM »
First, I don't personally consider chicken wings appropriately sized RMB's for anything over 10-15 lbs - i am sure umbrella can feed them to her chi's, and i have fed them to my cats and to one of my doberman, but never as a meal that would be used to clean teeth - they are entirely too small for most dogs and they can swallow them without chewing - means they are at a risk for obstructing and/or choking. secondy, they are also entirely too boney IMO with virtually no meat on them, so not a good thing for anything more than occ. feeding.

The rodentpro website works for me - so far my cats have eaten two of the things we ordered, and I havea  quail thawing for them right now. I don't think its hopeless - Watson, who DEVOURED the chicks, is almost 12 years old best I can recall, and I can certainly guarantee was not rawfed for the first 9-10 years of his life. It's a game of give and take - some things they will not eat, other things they adore. I feed whole as much as I can of what they adore, and then ground and canned when they need variety.

Offline moonsingingfreak

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2006, 06:17:11 PM »
I think this question is for Lin... or whoever feeds a raw/kibble mix diet.
I had heard some time ago that raw really needs to be fed on it's own, something about going between the two being hard on the system. You said you used a small amount of kibble in relation to the raw. How do you integrate this into their diet? If I am completely wrong about raw needing to be exclusive... please correct me! I am just curious, I don't know a whole lot about raw.

Edited to add: there's a whole other thread about raw. Silly me. I will go read that.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 06:19:17 PM by moonsingingfreak »

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2006, 08:39:14 PM »
since you went off to read the other raw thread, I'm sure you already know but I'll answer anyway. Thats a myth, about raw needing to be fed exclusively or not at all. Kim dispells it in the other thread, and I haven't had any problems feeding raw with kibble and canned food.

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2006, 11:57:14 PM »
what matters most is what your animal can tolerate. some animals cannot tolerate it, many (most?) tolerate feeding both just fine. my cats currently get raw and canned food, my first dog in the past ate kibble and some raw (even in the same meal, GASP!) just fine. i know other dogs that cannot tolerate it -let your dog be the guide.