Author Topic: Puppy pads in litter box  (Read 2801 times)

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Puppy pads in litter box
« on: August 10, 2006, 06:43:33 PM »
I was thinking, what if with the box lined with a double layer black trash bag, I put a puppy training pad under the bag so if a little bit of urine gets under the bag it's obsorbed?  Just random though.  Is there anything dangerous in it for if they scratch it open a bit?

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
Re: Puppy pads in litter box
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 08:37:07 PM »
 Newspaper would do the same thing, I'd imagine. But no, I don't think a puppy pad would be harmful at all (unless ingested, of course).

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 02:31:27 AM »
Sounds like an expensive idea... If you really wanted something extra to catch urine (why not just wipe the box down with a bleach wipe after removing the bags?) newspaper or those stupid flyers you get in the mail sound better.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 02:36:25 AM »
Just a random thought, don't know if I will or not,  found them onsale and have some left over ones and they obsorb better than newspaper and trap the smell more.

Offline Adventure Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • Moose says, "Get in my Belly"
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 01:13:01 PM »
With as many cats as you have I would think your cleaning the box's daily, so smell really shouldn't be a problem. Unless your using 1 box for that many cats.  :-X

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 04:38:45 PM »
Nope, not one box, scoop daily, but don't do a full change on all of the boxes daily

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 09:12:30 PM »
If your scooping daily and well enough you dont have to ever do a complete change on the litter. I use a similar method to http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm#Cleaning_the_Litter_Box:

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 10:36:19 PM »
If your scooping daily and well enough you dont have to ever do a complete change on the litter. I use a similar method to http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm#Cleaning_the_Litter_Box:

that page has a lot of different parts, I'm confused to which part you are refering

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 10:46:03 PM »
Ah, sorry I thought it would take you right to the part but it didnt. Click on "Cleaning the litter box - method to save time and money (video)" I use a modified method of that myself. I use packaged clorox wipes instead of the papertowel and bleach though because I'm lazy. I also wipe down the entire box after each scooping (by swapping bottom pans because 2 of my boxes have double bottom pans, or by shaking all the litter to one side to wipe and repeat with the other side), I'm not sure if she does that or not. I never completely swap litter out anymore, just add litter if needed, and once a week I dump the cleanly scooped litter from 2 boxes into the other 2 boxes so I can scrub them in the bathrub with dishsoap and bleach. I love it, I think it actualy saves me time doing things this way and I always have a clean box. I found her litterbox suggestions when googling peeing outside the box a long time ago, I was having issues with my girl peeing on the bathroom rugs about 18 months ago, and if a towel or piece of clothing was left on the floor she would pee on it. The reason was I wasnt scooping daily, and my boxes were not as clean as they should be. I couldnt smell anything, but cats have so much stronger noses than us. Apparantly Piper prefered to pee on clothing, than enter the box. I haven't had a problem since starting to take better care of my boxes. The only problem I have now is Leo who pees outside the box from stress when I leave him for too long.

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 11:03:01 AM »
The litterboxes here have to be changed/scooped very often, or else my male cat WILL pee elsewhere.  (he always poos there no matter what though, haha)  He is very, very picky about it being clean.

The girls don't care.  They're good and always, always go in the boxes.  ;)

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 11:21:47 AM »
Not having out of the box issues, just thinking a bit.