Author Topic: 4 years ago today....  (Read 1690 times)

Offline BionicKoi

• Posts Too Much!
4 years ago today....
« on: August 12, 2006, 11:08:44 AM »
I'm sure I posted about this last time, but it still hits me hard and I still miss him so much.  :heart:

4 years ago around May, we adopted our first cat. We called him Giuseppe, a small orange tabby with a bubblegum nose and extra toes on his front paws. He was the runt of the litter and he pulled at my heart the first moment I laid my eyes on him. It was meant to be, I couldn't get him out of my head.

When we took him home that day I turned to Rob and told him that there's something special about Giuseppe, I didn't know what it was, but I felt something there. Giuseppe was an amazing soul, so full of love and life. He made every effort to spend whatever time he had with us.

Giuseppe would take trips with us to see my in laws who lived over an hour away. He never cried during the trip. He was with us and that made everything OK for him. However, he would cry at me whenever I took a bath, so one time I picked him up and sat him in the tub in front of me and he loved it! So everytime I took a bath, he had to as well!

We felt he might be lonely while we had to work so we adopted him a friend. Although the first day together seemed unbearable, by the next morning they were best friends. Giuseppe and Powdered Donut:

Even with Donut, Giuseppe still made that extra effort to spend time with us. But by the beginning of June Giuseppe wasn't acting right. His third eyelids were showing and he acted slower than usual. We took him to the vet and ran several tests.

The vet came back with the news, none of it was good. Giuseppe could have one of four things, congenital heart disease, congenital liver failure, FIP, or (a very slight chance) hemobartonella. The vet gave me several meds in the hope that if it was hemobartonella it would clear and he'd be OK. My vet wasn't convinced though and told me it was pointless to run anymore tests, as if would be a waste of my money.

I had to now go home and tell Rob that Giuseppe was dying.

We made an effort to spend as much time with him as we could. He took him to the park several times and we were planning a party for his six month birthday.

After several suggestions by my coworkers, we gathered up the test results from the vet and sought out another for a second opinion. They ran one test and saw that his blood cell count was going back up....they said he just had hemobartonella and that the meds were working and that Giuseppe was going to OK! What a relief to know, we're not going to lose him after all!

Days later, Giuseppe stopped eating and was acting off balance. He would try to jump up on something only to fall over and not get up. I called the vet and they told me to bring him in the next morning and they would watch him over the course of the day. We went to bed that night only to hear Giuseppe crying not ten minutes later.

We found Giuseppe on the bathroom floor. He cried again before going into a seizure. We both freaked out and Rob yelled at me to do something. I grabbed the phone book and called the first emergency vet number I could. I was crying when I talked to the vet telling him what was happening.

And it was then that Rob muttered those words: "He's gone."

I apologized to the vet and hung up the phone. Rob called his parents and told them the news while I sat there holding Giuseppe bawling.

At 10:14 pm on the 12th of August, Giuseppe left this life. We had him buried the next day. The day we had planned to celebrate his six month birthday.....

The last photo ever taken of Giuseppe. I see it as Donut saying goodbye and that she's going to miss him.

I contacted the rescue group shortly after and told them what happened. The sent me a card and a few pictures of Giuseppe from when he was found:

If I could change the outcome of Giuseppe's life, would I? No. I love Giuseppe and I still cry when I think of him, but I see Giuseppe as a gateway to the cats we have now. He came into our life for a short time to teach us a few lessons and guide us to the cats who would serve as our teachers now.

If Giuseppe never passed I would not have Kuroneko in my life. The group we adopted Giuseppe from let us adopt another cat for free. Before Giuseppe had passed I saw a black cat that the the group had up for adoption at the Petsmart I worked at. The cats (Neko and his brother) were taken back into a foster home and then returned a month later. Neko, my soul mate. I can't imagine my life without him. He and I were meant to be.

And we wouldn't have Tommy, who is Giuseppe's littermate. We got him from my coworker's sister. She adopted Tommy the same time we adopted Giuseppe. It wasn't working out in their family, and it was going back and forth as to whether we would get him or their grandparents would get Tommy. She knew how much it would mean to us to have a part of Giuseppe live on with us, so we were lucky to adopt Tommy. Tommy is extremely attached to my husband and actually smiles when he's with him.

And Nimbus. The cat who would not leave. He was the last from a litter of kittens we took in. And no matter what, he refused anyone who came by to look at him. Permanent member of the family by choice. We love him a lot!

Dear Giuseppe,

There is still a massive hole in my heart from your loss. I know you're not completely gone, but I can help but miss petting your soft fur and hearing that sweet meow. Thank you for spending that little time with us. We got lucky, you could have chosen any family, but you chose us! Thanks for the memories and thank you for connecting Neko to me and for your brother Tommy. We cannot imagine life without them. We'll never forget you, I'll always think of you no matter where I go or what I do.

All our love,
  Mom, Dad, and Donut

:heart: Giuseppe Big Head - February 13, 2002-August 12, 2002  :heart:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 11:15:56 AM by BionicKoi »

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: 4 years ago today....
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 11:27:31 AM »
 :'(  *hugs*

Offline dragynflye

• Posts Too Much!
  • greetings from nikki and the horde!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 11:28:33 AM »
**hugs**

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 11:47:38 AM »
I'm so sorry, sweety.  :(

I got all teary just reading that.  ^_^; 

I know how you feel...  the kitty I got the nickname "NutKitty" from, was like that.  When I first met my boyfriend, it was almost a two hour drive to see him, and I'd go often - and always brought her with me because she was so clingy.  She loved it...

On the morning of David's graduation from college, she crawled up into my lap...  and died.   :eek:  I can't begin to describe what that was like.  All I know is that I started bawling histarically, and it was simply the worse feeling.  *sigh*

BUT...  I ended up getting Sasami (and Sebastian, who I lost a couple of years ago to FIP - another story in itself) - and I am sooo happy to have her.  She is a little survivor, and considering what she has been exposed to, just..  wow. 

Btw - more pics of Nimbus, please?  PLEASE????  I beg you.  I. Love. Nimbus.  If you ever have to give him up - I WANT HIM.   :yelcutelaugh:

Offline Nelly

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • If my body is a temple it's Deshnok Temple, India
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 02:43:17 PM »
(((HUGE HUGS)))  I've got tears rolling down my face and I thought I was doing so well making it through Celia's obit post without crying.  I missed my cat Mo so much for so long and some days I still do.  Arlene told me she went and told the kittens the day before I got them that they were to come home with me the following day and they would behave!  I know she did pick them out for me because they're allowed to lay curled into me when I'm laying down, like she used to - my ex's cat was never allowed to even after Mo had passed - one of the first communications I managed with Jennyfur, she told me "Because Moey's there" when I asked her why she wouldn't lay like that!

Giuseppe and the other cats he's found for you are so stunningly beautiful - their love for you and Rob is so evident.

Nicky&her beloved furries xx
Cats Steffi&Mac
Rats Turk Noodles Shadow Newt Ripley Tia Halle Berry Tempest Kembali Murphy
At the Bridge :icon_cat: Boris Billie Bimbo Jennyfur Mo; ratties Perdy, Mitts, Mr Pob, Manny, Zemmi, Aimee, Floss Lucy Liu Fargo Riddick Megan Melody Monkey Imogen Brenna Danny

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 04:04:22 PM »
*HUGS* :heart:

Offline OrlandoBloomnut

• Posts Too Much!
  • I am no longer a ratty mom :(
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 07:10:50 PM »
ok that made me cry  :'( he looked like such a special kitty
I am owned by:
1 dog Misty
Gone but not forgotten:Diamond & Citrine. Quiche & Dini and now Sweetness
I miss you .

Offline BionicKoi

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 09:06:45 PM »
Thank you everyone. Nutkitty, I'll get around to posting a page of nothing but Nimbus pics for you sometime during the next few days  :) You still can't have him though, unless you want fair trade: Nimbus for Yuki  ;) Only kidding! (It would take forever for Nimbus to get used to you, he's such a chicken!)

And thanks for reminding me Nelly. The next chance that I have with some extra spending cash I need to contact Arlene and maybe get a hold of Giuseppe. And talk to Neko and the rest of them just to see how everyone is doing.

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 09:13:38 PM »
You see, I'd have to keep Yuki FOR Nimbus, coz they'd be the best of buds!!!  It'd work out PERFECTLY that way.

You can send him over whenever you like! The sooner the better!

Offline Nelly

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • If my body is a temple it's Deshnok Temple, India
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 06:14:44 PM »
And thanks for reminding me Nelly. The next chance that I have with some extra spending cash I need to contact Arlene and maybe get a hold of Giuseppe. And talk to Neko and the rest of them just to see how everyone is doing.

Don't forget to let us know what they all say to Arlene :)

The day after I posted about Mo letting them curl into me, I woke up in the night - the night before my wedding - to find Billie laying on the bed, curled up by my chest, right by my heart, like Mo used to when she was still physically here.  She was there for ages, I think.  I don't remember her ever sleeping like that before.  I think someone was sending me a little happy message :)  I hope Guiseppe sends you some too, watch out for them :)
Nicky&her beloved furries xx
Cats Steffi&Mac
Rats Turk Noodles Shadow Newt Ripley Tia Halle Berry Tempest Kembali Murphy
At the Bridge :icon_cat: Boris Billie Bimbo Jennyfur Mo; ratties Perdy, Mitts, Mr Pob, Manny, Zemmi, Aimee, Floss Lucy Liu Fargo Riddick Megan Melody Monkey Imogen Brenna Danny