Author Topic: TimberWolf Food  (Read 1788 times)

Offline 1lila1

• Posts Too Much!
  • PEW's are love!
TimberWolf Food
« on: August 13, 2006, 12:14:03 PM »
OK, so for the past few months I've been researching the BARF or RAW food diets and, after reading lots of info both pro and con, I have decided that it's just not right for my dog and my situation.  I thought my dog's Eagle Pack Holistic Select was the best food for her but recently I found out about a company called Timberwolf.  They have very high meat percentages in their foods and it seems to be a really healthy dog food.  I'm going to switch my dog to this food to try it out and see how she does.  I'm going to place and order via their website tomorrow.  Does anyone have any experience with this food?  Any input would be appreciated.
Mama to 5 rattie boyz, 1 kittie boy, and 1 doggie girl.

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
Re: TimberWolf Food
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 03:21:58 PM »
Call me lazy, but can you supply the url?  It's just easier when you've already got it handy, to supply it... hehehe   I'd like to see the ingredients.  I currently feed Chicken Soup for the Soul, but am open to others.

Offline rhinecat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 06:19:50 PM »
It seems, from reading their site, that most of their dry foods are formulated for the addition of fresh raw meat as 10-25% of the diet. It is also really, really expensive, and I *personally* don't think I'd pay that much for something which I had to add meat to, or a food that contained grains (some of their formulas contain oats or wheat.) I am just not convinced that carnivorous animals require any grain in their diet.

That said, it's a huge step above any other food available in your average pet store, and better than many of the super-premium foods as well. JMO.

Anyone within reach of St. Louis is welcome!

Offline 1lila1

• Posts Too Much!
  • PEW's are love!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 07:09:37 PM »
The site is TimberwolfOrganics.com.  It's more expensive than most dog foods but because it's so digestable you feed less.  My 55# dog would go through less than a 16# bag a month.  A 16# bag is only about $30. Eagle Pack Holistic is $20 for that size.  I pay more than that now on dry food plus canned.  I don't think TW is that much more expensive.  Plus I plan to stop feeding canned with TW since thier meat percentage is so high. Oh, and Dearpie, they have free shipping to anywhere in the US.

And all of their food is 100% complete alone but yes, they do suggest you add some raw meat to a dogs diet.  Some foods they have are lower in protein than others specifically to feed low energy dogs or if you want to feed raw with it.  Some of their formulas also have higher calcium levels to balance out the phosphorus in meat.  Actually where we are moving to next month there are tons of good butchers so I may add in some raw to the food anyway just as a supplement.  I"m particularly interested in the green tripe but haven't found it around here.  I occasionally give my dog pieces of raw meat when I'm cooking.  She loves it!!  :D

I plan to start her on their Southwest Chicken and Herb formula.  It sounds good and closest to her Eagle Pack so that may minimize tummy upsets.  I'm also swtiching my cat to their feline formula too but he will still get 1/2 his diet as canned food.
Mama to 5 rattie boyz, 1 kittie boy, and 1 doggie girl.

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 01:33:49 PM »
Dang. That organic kibble is EXPENSIVE! I feed Amos on a raw diet for about $15 a month. My mom suggested I switch him to Innova like her dogs and I said "Why? I can feed him raw, a better choice (he has grain allergies), for 1/3 less?" I'm all for those who want to feed the best kibble out there.. as long as you can afford it.