Author Topic: First signs of a pituitary tumor? she's gone  (Read 3926 times)

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
First signs of a pituitary tumor? she's gone
« on: August 19, 2006, 11:35:04 AM »
Mabel went into the vet for wheezing/grunting and was put on Baytril and tetracycline. After 2 days she was fine but I kept an eye on her and noticed something I couldn't put my finger on. She was acting not herself and as the days passed, I realized I may be facing a pituitary tumor with her. She is covered in porphyrin everyday and does not/can not clean it off. She seems very slow, mentally and physically. For instance I have an igloo that they go into at the side and come out down to the ramp from the front (a rody igloo). There were too many rats in it for her to come down the ramp (she tried to go thru the igloo once) so instead of stepping an inch around the corner to get on the ramp, she just layed down right by it and I had to help her down. Her front half seems very weak. She holds her head low to the ground when she walks and her arms are very week but she can still walk (very slowly). I also witnessed a repeating behavior of her this morning when she stopped in the corner and stared at me for a minute, went thru the tube, came back and repeated the whole thing again like she didn't remember she had JUST done the same thing. Mabel's also been using her teeth to balance when I pick her up and sometimes she'll even pinch my skin with her teeth to hold on. She couldn't even tell the difference from my fingers and the treat I was holding yesterday, something she's ALWAYS been so careful about. I read on ratguide that prednisone and baytril can help extend life a little bit and that an xray can show a tumor? Anyone who's dealt with PTs before how was your rat diagnosed, did you go with any treatment and if so how long did it help?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 12:24:17 PM by Heather »

Offline reedross

• Rat Lover!
Re: First signs of a pituitary tumor?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 01:01:26 PM »
I had one with a PT....... but his symptoms were walking in circles and he refused to eat - I had him put down the same day - he was 32 months old.  It really came on very suddenly.

- April

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 01:20:26 PM »
Generally, I've noticed a weakness in the front paws before anything else.  Does she still hold her food?  Or is she sort of propping it against something to hold it still so she can eat it?  And signs of head-tilting, or not being able to keep her balance? 

I think that confusion is one of the signs, as well.  You might call your vet about the possibility of putting her on pred to reduce the inflammation surrounding the tumor, and that could give her a bit more time. 

Offline robinstar1989

• Holly and Ivy
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 01:58:57 PM »
no advice, just wanted to let you know that i'm sending healing thoughts your way...

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 12:17:57 AM »
Thank you everyone for your replies. Mabel has unfortunately gotten worse. I was able to feed her some soy yogurt this morning and within the 9 hours I was gone for work she has not only forgotten how to lap up liquids from a shallowbowl but to drink from a syringe. I was able to squirt Boost up to her mouth but I am not sure hw much she drank. She is also very confused about what may be food or ok to bite. She has bitten me tonight, not draw blood but a hard pinch, and then again right after it but not hard. She also tried to bite my toe, and she has NEVER even so much as nipped me. I'll try and keep her hydrated and comfortable until the vet opens Monday. I wonder if the evet would even give her pred. They don't know anything about rats except how to put them to sleep, the only thing they've ever done for me. I am afraid to even attempt prednisone since it seems to get worse every day. She is on Baytril still though and tetracyline which the baytril wa something ratguide said could help. I am afraid I may have to have her PTS Monday. My heart is breaking for my poor little girl. She'll be 2 in late November/early December. :'( Mabel also attempted to clean herself and lost her balance and fell backward. Mommy was there to catch her and upright her again though.

Offline Toobusy9561

• Is it time for treats??
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 02:03:26 AM »
We just lost one of our girls to a PT.   We first noticed a "weakness" in her front legs when she walked.  She would kind of shuffle along.  Then when you would look at her, she would not focus on things like she was blind.  She would bump into things and walk around the bottom of the cage endlessly.  She stopped eating and could not hold things any more.  We gave her baby food on a spoon which worked great until she could no longer lap things up with her tongue.  Then we went to Ensure since she could "suck" it in still.  She would clamp onto the spoon and sort of suck it up.  Then we used a syringe after that.  She would have days where she seemed to improve and then she would get worse, improve and get worse.  Each time she got worse, it was worse than before.   She got to the point that when you would pick her up, her front feet would keep trying to walk as if by instinct.  I am guessing that is due to be a prey animal and the need to keep moving to avoid being caught.  Towards the end, we would let her out of her cage and she would walk all over the house very slowly.  We could not let her up on the sofa or bed as she would just walk right over the edge.  She would fall over when she tried to clean herself or itch.  It was hard to see her like that.  Eventually she would brux so loud you could hear her across the room and she had porphyn (spelling?) around her eyes and nose.  One day, she just stopped moving around and passed a few hours later.  She was doing really well the night before so it seemed to be a 180 within 24 hours.  She was sick for about 2 months before she passed.  Each time we thought it would be time, she would rally around and do well again.  We did try the prednisone.  It helped her some but it just seemed to prolong the inevitable.  Roo was 22 months old.

Sorry your baby is sick.....our prayers for you both!
:love2:   Melody 10/06

Crossed The Bridge:
:angel1:  Bandit / Mimi / Roo / Clover / Ace

Offline Topaz

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 01:00:43 AM »
I'm afriad I may be dealing with the same thing now :'(  Baby, the girl I just had spayed is starting show loss of cordination.  She eats and acts just fine other than wobbling instead of walking.  I was giving her and the other girl I had gotten spayed some Metacam because their incision looked a little bit puffy, and this is when I noticed it.  She ate the babyfood mixed with metcam and a treat just find, but seems to wobble.  The were spayed last week, and doesn't act like she's in pain.  Could this be a PT?  ???

Offline Siana

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spotty bum!
    • Ratclub.org
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 03:15:38 AM »
I'm afriad I may be dealing with the same thing now :'(  Baby, the girl I just had spayed is starting show loss of cordination.  She eats and acts just fine other than wobbling instead of walking.  I was giving her and the other girl I had gotten spayed some Metacam because their incision looked a little bit puffy, and this is when I noticed it.  She ate the babyfood mixed with metcam and a treat just find, but seems to wobble.  The were spayed last week, and doesn't act like she's in pain.  Could this be a PT?  ???

If I recall correctly from one of your previous posts, none of your girls are over 10 months of age.  Is that right?  If that's the case, it's highly unlikely that it's a PT.  Generally, PTs occur in much older rats.  I'm guessing the wobbling may be due to the surgery.  I know of a girl who was spayed a few weeks ago who now appears to have nerve damage, and has difficulty walking.  It could be something similar to that, or it's possible something else is going on.  I'd get her back to the vet to have her checked out.

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 12:23:54 PM »
I had to have Mabel PTS this morning. She developed circling, a slight head tilt and repeating behavior. She could barely swallow, lost control of her bladder and would frequently jerk and lunge forward, and press her head against flat surfaces and was mostly limp (she still tried to walk but she didn't have enough stregnth or coordination). The vet didn't even want to try meds because she thought like I did that it was progressing so quickly (like I said before, in 9 hours time she went from eating from a spoon to not even knowing how to do that or drink from a syringe) that she wouldn't be on meds for a few days before she'd have to be euth'd. Mabel's heart was strong, but her mind was deteriorating faster than I could keep up with. Every hour it progressed more and more. Late last night she could not even take in liquids, but suckled like a baby rat on my hand (she could not swallow even 1/4 of what I tried to feed her). She would stare but not see anything. Her spirit had died days ago. My little stinky Mabel is at peace now, thinking clearly and running free again. Marlowe already misses her. When I showed her Mabel she just laid her little head on her and looked at me with such sad eyes. I had to choke back the tears.

(Mods please feel free to move this to Rat Tails as it's not a care question anymore and I didn't want to start another thread about it)

Offline ginniejollie

• Posts Too Much!
Re: First signs of a pituitary tumor? she's gone
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 12:29:50 PM »
Oh Heather I'm so sorry to hear that Mabel has crossed the bridge.  I'm sure she is now free and easy from her illness and loves you all the more for helping her.  I hope your heart heals soon.  :) :heart:

Offline reedross

• Rat Lover!
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 12:32:53 PM »
I'm so sorry Heather.............    :BlueDumboBigEyes:

PT's often move quickly so don't feel like you didn't do your best for her!!!

- April

Offline dragynflye

• Posts Too Much!
  • greetings from nikki and the horde!
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 12:37:15 PM »
i am so so sorry.....

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 12:40:44 PM »
I'm so sorry Heather. :heart:

Offline Topaz

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 12:54:56 PM »
I'm sorry Heather  :'(  It's hard watching a friend decline like that.  At least she's not suffering anymore and in a better place.

Siana -
   She's 11 months now, but it makes since that it could be some kind of nerve damage.  She doens't act like she's in pain, just wobbly.  And her surgery was the first rat spay my vet had done.  They're going back this week to get thier sutures taken out, so I'll talk to them then about it.  Thanks for your help.

Offline DolciLady

• Posts Too Much!!
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rattie slave and lovin every minute of it!
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 01:06:49 PM »
Aww, I'm so sorry, Heather.

Robin
SugarBaby...my heart rat    The sweetest love I've ever known.

Offline kit

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 01:20:22 PM »
I am so sorry about Mabel.  She is running on the bridge, looking for her friends.

I hope your heart heals soon :heart: Hugs and scritches to Marlowe.
RATS...you can't stop at just one!!!
Owned by Belle, Blue, and Oreo! RIP Bear, Speckle, Sally, and Kit, we miss you:(
Non-rattie kids...Tigger, Princess, Max and Mr. Hanky!

Offline Arlene

• Posts Too Much!
  • Be kind to every living thing!
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 03:29:40 PM »
I'm sorry, Heather. I was afraid this would be the news after talking with you last night about Mabel. I'll send healing to you and Marlowe. Mabel doesn't need it anymore since she is in a better place and all well now. Huge hugs to you!
Arlene & my 6 rats, 2 mice, 2 ferrets, 9 cats (3 house kitties,3 feral, 3 fosters), 3 dogs Missing: 135 rats, 15 ferrets, 5 cats, 7 dogs

Offline Siana

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spotty bum!
    • Ratclub.org
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 03:58:35 PM »
I'm so sorry you lost your girl, Heather.  PTs are such horrible things, and you did the best thing for her. 

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 04:59:57 PM »
I'm so sorry, Heather.  *hugs*

Offline lularat

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 07:03:38 PM »
 :'( I'm so sorry. *Hugs*
~Carolyn~

Offline heidinratties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 07:35:36 PM »
I'm sorry.   :'(
3 male rats. 1 male hamster. 2 female cats.  1 boyfriend.

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2006, 07:37:43 PM »
I'm so sorry Heather, perhaps my Ghosty rat was there to help her cross the bridge.
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline Kendra

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2006, 01:05:33 AM »
I'm so sorry, Heather.  From everything you said, I think you did the right thing.  *hugs*  Sometimes those pituitary tumors just degenerate so quickly.
Ratless

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2006, 06:44:00 AM »
Wow I can't believe this happened so fast :( *HUGS* Heather I'm so sorry this had to happen to Mabel.

-Melina
-Melina & Crew