Author Topic: Hanna's disappearing lump  (Read 733 times)

Offline CampRhubarb

• Posts Too Much!
Hanna's disappearing lump
« on: August 21, 2006, 12:17:58 PM »
So, a little background.  I have a rescue girl that I adopted in May.  She was from a "breeder" where she was bred back to back, then had a broken leg which never healed correctly (still being bred) and also lost a few toes in the accident.  I did NOT expect her to be as sweet and easygoing as she is.  She really stole my heart.   A day after bringing her home, I noticed a small lump.  For two years old, she was in excellent shape, so the vet did a removal and spay.  Two weeks later, after recovery, I notice another lump right in the middle of her throat.  Because of her age, just having been thru surgery, where it was, and the money, I decided not to remove this one.  It stayed the same and she never seemed uncomfortable... just had a scratchy voice.  So, today, doing my routine check of her, to my astonishment, it is GONE!   There was no drainage or opening of any kind, and she is eating and looks as awesome as ever.  She isn't so peppy, but I think that is her age.

I am sure this topic has come up before, but wanted to know what you thought.

Oh, and a picture so no one has to ask  :rattysmiley:  It is her front right leg that is gimpy.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 12:19:30 PM by TexSusie »
Boots, Juju, Delia, Lyra, Hope, Faith, Eloise, and Myrtle

Offline RKEM

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Hanna's disappearing lump
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 03:27:00 PM »
Could have been an inflamed lymph node.

Gorgeous girl btw  :-*

Offline heidinratties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 07:38:29 PM »
Hanna is so pretty!!  I hope the lump is gone for good!
3 male rats. 1 male hamster. 2 female cats.  1 boyfriend.

Offline Kendra

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 01:03:43 AM »
I think RKEM might be right.  When Sid was a baby, he got a huge lump in his throat that I was terrified was a tumor.  We took him to the vet, who said that it would be extremely strange for him to have developed a tumor at such a young age, and seemingly overnight.  There was no scab that would have made us think it was an abcess, and it just felt different, deeper as though it wasn't in the skin.  We determined that it was an inflamed lymph node.  Sid got over it very quickly with the help of a little bit of antibiotics and is now a healthy adult.  Good luck!
Ratless

Offline CampRhubarb

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 09:37:42 AM »
Well, that sounds probable.  Whatever it was, I am so glad it is gone.  I feel badly that I didn't take her in thinking it was another tumor.  Thanks for the info..
Boots, Juju, Delia, Lyra, Hope, Faith, Eloise, and Myrtle

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 11:34:14 AM »
Disappeared is great!!  It does sound like it could have been an swollen gland, or maybe even an abcess that drained without you realizing?  If she's been on antibiotics, that can easily happen.  Either way, hooray!!