Author Topic: Prominent nipples on young female...EEEEPERS Finally!!! Update 08/21  (Read 29159 times)

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
My latest rescue Bronwen, was surrendered to a local shelter as a stray on Aug. 4th and I got her Aug. 9th.  She came in alone but I believe was captured in someone's backyard.  I noticed the day after that her nipples were very noticeable and since I have very little first-hand knowledge of pregnancy since I have been oh so careful.   ::)

This sweet little girl gained 12 grams in 3 days but I am thinking its the good food and a growth spurt (she's 3-4 months old).  I have palpated her belly and it feels absolutely normal its just those nipples must mean something.
Two things I am wondering.  One, if she had had a litter previously would her nipples change afterwards and stay prominent or do they go back to normal?  Two, could she have had a litter and either the nasty owners dumped her and the babies outside since they didn't want to deal with it, or she had her litter outdoors when she was free and they died and she was captured?
I have taken in a lot of rescues and this one has to be the sweetest one I have ever ever met...Dilbert and Brie have character but this one just needs a halo.   Even when she is test-nibbling my finger she has a dreamy expression on her face.    ;D

Belly pics...

And one pic where she is smushed into my lap for over an hour sleeping...no obvious belly there that would match the nipples...hahaha
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 11:04:18 AM by lilspaz68 »

Offline angelratgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • why do rat noses fit so perfectly in your ears...
Re: Prominent nipples on young female...questions?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 09:41:19 AM »
she may or may not be packing...
some rats love to confuse the heck outta you during their pregnancy

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 10:04:40 AM »
Well if her nipples are prominent then it would be about a week or less and I should know for sure?
I'll keep weighing her daily then.

This is not needed at this moment. :(  I have Rennie and the babies coming here in 3 weeks...oh god.   :-\

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 10:24:48 AM »
Oh! You poor thing. If it's not one thing it's another. You and your ratties need a nice long vacation.

I can't help you out with anything, but I hopek that she's not carrying. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

Offline Topaz

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 10:28:56 AM »
My PEW's nipples always stick out like that...

I hope she's not pregnant

Offline dragynflye

• Posts Too Much!
  • greetings from nikki and the horde!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 01:05:17 PM »
most of my girlies nipples stick out like that.  although it is definately easier to see on a light colored belly!

if she came in as a stray and was fed crappy food before hand, i wouldn't weigh her daily.  i would expect her to gain weight now that she is on a good diet, and if you weigh her daily and see that weight gain, you may cause yourself to panic for no reason.  i would just give her lots of nummy food and sit back and wait.......

**hugs** for taking the angel in and i'm sending lots of "not preggy" vibes your way!

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 01:11:16 PM »
most of my girlies nipples stick out like that.  although it is definately easier to see on a light colored belly!

if she came in as a stray and was fed crappy food before hand, i wouldn't weigh her daily.  i would expect her to gain weight now that she is on a good diet, and if you weigh her daily and see that weight gain, you may cause yourself to panic for no reason.  i would just give her lots of nummy food and sit back and wait.......

**hugs** for taking the angel in and i'm sending lots of "not preggy" vibes your way!

Thanks dragonflye, this is what I needed to hear!   ;D

I am only weighing her daily to see if all of a sudden she has a big weight gain, so I can tell whats normal for her and whats not.

If she is I will deal with it, but I do have her on .05 cc's of doxy twice a day for a tiny sneezing problem.  Should I stop just in case?  Her sneezing isn't serious but I thought I would jump on it before it did.  I could stop it for a while with no ill effects I would think.

Offline flyingteapot

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 01:28:06 PM »
Miki is a small framed girl with a little extra weight (bahaha. last time she was at the vet she was 237g. my girls are on the small side, so this is chubtastic for Miki  :yelcutelaugh: ). anyhow, she has a white belly and her nipples stick out. have since she was a few months old. I sort of associate it with her chubbiness and light color.

but yeah, I agree on the waiting, she's likely to gain a bit with all the good food!

p.s: she has the cutest face ever! jdghdfh. I love PEWs.

Offline RKEM

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 01:56:44 PM »
Personally I think she's not pregnant and just enjoying the food. Most of my girl's nipples used to stick out like that. And if you look at her from the top I think I see a little sunken in area in her belly. I think she has more room to fill with all the yummy food you will provide her.

Sometimes it's impressive how much rescues can eat, especially if they have been starving in the past.

*gently pokes the little pew belly*

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 01:58:49 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I won't worry then.  She has allowed belly kisses from the day I got her, so I will give her many from you guys... :bow:  I just figured, with my luck....LOL  :-\

Offline Ligeia

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 03:40:23 PM »
I'll just throw in my opinion on prominant nipples.  I've never seen BJ's, but Emma's were very obvious well before she spent her wild night with the boys.  I don't know if it has so much to do with color (since BJ has a white belly), as it does with the thickness of their fur.  I'm sure its nothing to worry about, but I wish you the best of luck anyway.
Rats: All of the best features of "normal" pets in a convenient, easy to carry size.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 10:25:57 PM »
Yeah, all my white girls have nipples that really show.  And those lower nipples in particular.  I wouldn't worry TOO much about it.  :)

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 09:06:40 AM »
Yeah, all my white girls have nipples that really show.  And those lower nipples in particular.  I wouldn't worry TOO much about it.  :)

I have 4 other rescue PEW's here and none of their nipples are quite like Bronwen's so I just wanted to make sure.
Thanks!

Offline angelratgirl

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 10:28:29 AM »
ya know, if she is packing on weight just from eating good food, then maybe it is making her nipples stand out as her belly gets bigger from ... muscle gain, yeah thats it. muscle, not fat. all those extra grams gotta find room somewhere.

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 10:39:32 AM »
ya know, if she is packing on weight just from eating good food, then maybe it is making her nipples stand out as her belly gets bigger from ... muscle gain, yeah thats it. muscle, not fat. all those extra grams gotta find room somewhere.

Well she has gained 10 grams since yesterday...hahaha.  She's now 289 g.
I have an "unfortunate" ability to take in rats and have them gain weight.  A bit too much Suebee's maybe?   :cheeky:  She is overall bigger though not just her belly...haha.  I took in 2 one year old girls from a shelter (they had been born there) and even though they were full grown they just looked odd, not ratty shaped at all.  Yep I got them to gain weight too   :doh:
I have decided that even though I would love lean, mean running machines that if my rats carry a bit more weight I prefer it, since when they get sick that weight just drops off of them.   :(

She's not very active either which could account for some of the weight gain.  She loves to cuddle and she walks slowly everywhere.  I think its because she has always lived in that 1' x 1' hamster cage and never got to bounce or run like a baby should.  :-\

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2006, 10:12:22 AM »
Oh oh...I'm starting to worry again.  :(

I have been weighing Bronwen everyday since I hear this is the most obvious sign of pregnancy.  Here's what I have

Aug. 11 – 267 g

Aug. 14 – 279 g

Aug. 15 – 289 g

Aug. 16 – 302 g

Thats a total of 35  grams in 4 days.  Is this normal?  She is not very active and prefers to cuddle and occasionally walk around, and she loves food, so maybe this is the weight gain?  Sigh.  Oh huuuge question, I have her on doxy for little sneezes, should I take her off of it just in case??

Okay on to pics of my sweet...don't mind the mucky face, I woke her up, weighed her and took pics...she hasn't had time to clean up  ::)
from the side (looks nice and normal)

from the top

belly pic 1

belly pic 2

:eek: :eek: :eek:  Help?  Advice?

Offline angelratgirl

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Prominent nipples on young female...more questions? 08/16
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 10:43:15 AM »
HOOOOOOO that is a pear shape if ever i saw one.
she be preggers.

i don't know about the meds but try searchin for preggers and med or doxy or baytril or... or...
lord, i don't know what to say except i know a preggers for sure belly when i see one.

huge hugs.

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 10:54:01 AM »
Ooh.. Yea.. That does look rather pear shaped.. I'm not an expert, though.. :dontknow:

I really hope she isn't pregnant, and is just packing on the pounds. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Offline JennJenn

• Posts Too Much!
  • Normie
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 10:58:42 AM »
She looks just like Bella did before she had babies.  I definitely think she looks like she is.
Engaged to my favorite boy <3

My Lovely Pets-
Dogs: Jameson, Jemma, and Baliey
Cats: Maddie and Shiloh
Ferrets: Emmah and Oliver
Rabbit- Bun

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2006, 11:01:16 AM »
How long do you all guess before she gives birth?

Oh s**t!!  I looked up doxy and you are definitely not supposed to give it to pregnant rats as it retards skeletal development.  I got her a week ago, and she has been on a low dose of .05 cc's for 4 days...would the babies skeleton already have been developed by then?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 11:05:15 AM by lilspaz68 »

Offline ginniejollie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2006, 11:14:10 AM »
Whoooops  :eek: Certainly looking pear shaped.  Here's a link I found, you may have already for meds during pregnancy

http://ratguide.com/breeding/basics/medications_and_breeding.php

It doesn't mention Doxy, hoping it will fall under the Amoxicillin heading, still to check, will get back to you

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2006, 11:18:19 AM »
Doxy is under tetracycline...sigh

Avoid
Tetracycline (May impede development of fetal bones and teeth)

No one seems to have done a study of fetal development in healthy rats just when it was subjected to this drug or other...:(

Offline ArcticSilver84

• Rats are like potato chips...you can't have just 1
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2006, 11:25:26 AM »
That is defn a prego belly. I had thought she was pregnant when you showed the nipple pictures but didnt want to say anything just in case she wasn't. Now that you show the new pics plus the rapid weight gain I am positive she is. Fingers crossed for a small healthy litter of bubs.

Offline ginniejollie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2006, 11:37:45 AM »
Further research confirms what you have found  :(

Basically the crux of the comments are:
" Special Warnings
Tetracycline should not be given to pregnant rats because it can be toxic to the liver and interfere with bone and tooth development in the fetuses. "   

and
' tetracyclines—Broad spectrum, effective against Mycoplasma, Pasteurella abscesses. Good for respiratory infections, prevention of infection after injury or surgery. Tolerated better than many other antibiotics. Don’t use in pregnant animals. '

the link is as follows:
http://www.ratfanclub.org/resp.html

Now before you panic too much, all the surfing I have just done, mainly regarding humans, but as happens our rats have been used to test these results.

The main problem is to the teeth rather than the skeleton and any liver damage that may occur (unusual) regenerates itself once the pups have been born.

The doses you have been giving and only for four days are nominal in relation to the tests done, so......I would cease giving her this type of medication, if she needs more, she can have one of the safer ones.   Again, all these things DO NOT affect the baby in early pregnancy, it only starts to have an effect in the fourth month (teeth) and nine month for liver.   

I feel you have no real worries, but definitely stop the meds.     Hope this helps.  :) :heart:

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2006, 11:40:12 AM »
No experience with rats, but I had a young cat that wound up being pregnant. She was on several different meds and a steroid before we found out she was pregnant. The vet said just to stop the meds and see what happens. Can't undo what's been done, just make the rest of the time as good as we could. She had a small litter of 3 kittens, and 2 survived and were just fine. Vet felt the third kitten died of something not related to any of the meds.

I would think that at such a low dose over 4 days couldn't have had that major of a result. And it does say *may* cause those things. Not 'it will most definitely'. It also doesn't mention how large of a dose was used or how long it was used for in the cases they studied.

I wish I could help more! You and Bronwen are both in my thoughts, and I'm sure you're both going to get through this just fine. Let me know if there's any way I can help.