Author Topic: Dog with Cats  (Read 4131 times)

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Dog with Cats
« on: August 19, 2006, 03:23:21 PM »
Ok, the older cats have already figured out how to handle Willow... The babies on the other hand... She ADORES them!  She wants to always be with them when all 3 of them are out in the house (2 kittens and Willow)  So, I've either got 2 cats under the recliner - which is suppose to be off limits - or I put them in Willow's kennel for awhile, and she wants in with them, or she corners them and washes them nonstop!  How do I get her to leave them alone??? 

Offline moonsingingfreak

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Dog with Cats
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 10:14:49 PM »
It sounds to me that the cats are going to have to tell her themselves.. sometimes dogs don't figure out that they're bothering another dog or cat until they get told. LOL. ;D
I guess my best advice would be to let them sort it out... and if she's really bothering them, find something more appealing for her? Maybe if that cats had something to climb up and out of the way, like a cat tree?
Good luck... you have to wonder if you prefer your dogs and cats hating eachother or loving eachother!

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 07:27:47 AM »
I agree, if the cats are bothered by the dog then the cats need to tell the dog. 

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 10:29:41 AM »
I agree, if the cats are bothered by the dog then the cats need to tell the dog. 

Just an added note - 1 lb kittens - 20lb dog

the 1lb kitten still has very sharp claws and the ability to use them.

If you are concerned, set the house up in a manner that the kittens have the ability to move about freely in an area where the dog can not get to.  Dog/child gates work well for this.  Or latch some doors open a small amount (can be done with a hook and eye latch) so the cats can walk thru and the dog can not.

Are you taking your dog to obedience school?  Teach her 'leave it' and that would work also.

Offline Adventure Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • Moose says, "Get in my Belly"
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 04:49:19 PM »
Well I have 100+ pound dogs and a 10 pound cat who does just fine. You really need to let them sort it out. A swift swat on the nose with a cat claw usually does the trick. As long as the dog isn't hurting the cats then there really is no problem.

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 12:45:33 PM »
I put them in Willow's kennel for awhile, and she wants in with them

Absolutely NOT fair to Willow.  That's her den.  The kittens need their own space, but I agree with the others, that the kittens will let Willow know.  They'll end up as buddies.

How are they doing now?

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 07:10:11 AM »
I put them in Willow's kennel for awhile, and she wants in with them

Absolutely NOT fair to Willow.  That's her den. 

I agree, it is not fair to Willow to have the cats closed in HER cage. 

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 11:07:52 AM »
Um.......................
I did offer a suggestion....

I will copy and paste it here:

If you are concerned, set the house up in a manner that the kittens have the ability to move about freely in an area where the dog can not get to.  Dog/child gates work well for this.  Or latch some doors open a small amount (can be done with a hook and eye latch) so the cats can walk thru and the dog can not.

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 11:48:41 AM »
So other people with a similar problem and benefit, I will add:

They make models of "baby" gates that are extra tall so I doubt any dog could jump them.  If you mount them just above ground level enough that the tiny kittens can scurry underneath and get away from the dog and then be safe.

And making one room in the house that is for kitties only is always good anyway.  A door can easily be latched open just enough for a kitty to scurry thru and a dog can not (unless it is a tiny dog).

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 11:52:42 AM »
Work with Willow on respecting the gates. Tessa sure can jump a baby gate easy, they are only about as tall as she is. But she DOESN'T. Set up a situation that would be tempting for Willow to jump the gate, then immediately correct her if she jumps it. And yes, they make gates that would be impossible for willow to jump.

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 11:56:43 AM »
Work with Willow on respecting the gates. Tessa sure can jump a baby gate easy, they are only about as tall as she is. But she DOESN'T. Set up a situation that would be tempting for Willow to jump the gate, then immediately correct her if she jumps it. And yes, they make gates that would be impossible for willow to jump.

Great advice ~Lin.  Willow would benefit from some obedience classes!

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 12:39:04 PM »
So other people with a similar problem and benefit, I will add:

Like I said in my post....

So other people with a similar question, when they do a search to get an answer, have options/answers available to them.

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 01:23:36 PM »
As with any post, people bring things up that are 'past due'.  It's the way it works on a forum.  And I agree with trub that it's in the best interest of the forum for future searches and information. It might now be of interest to you any more, but it's helpful to others.  If you're preceiving criticism, it just may not be the answer you're looking for, is all.

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 09:15:37 PM »
My dog stands taller than every gate in this house, and he still does not jump them.

All my cats have always had areas in the house that they are able to access that the dogs cannot - I typically also make it the litter pan room, so that the cat pans are safe (and the rats live in that room too). My cats deserve a place that they can call their own - ALL animals do, and the other animals will not trouble them.

I also agree that obedience training is necessary for EVERY puppy - not just for training but for socialization. Jumping gates and chasing cats is just something that I work hard to discourage and do not tolerate - my male pup is learning to work around distractions since he enjoys chasing one of my cats (he respects all other cats but this one) - but this cat can get into the "cat room" by jumping an expen, she can get into another room whose door is only open partially (like trub said).

Good advice all around - don't get angry just because it is not something you want to hear.
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC

Offline elegy

• Posts Too Much!
  • obey the pit bull.
    • shattering.org
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 09:49:22 PM »
luce is shorter than the babygate and uses it as exercise equipment :p

for somebody bringing a new kitten into a house with a dog- supervision supervision supervision and teaching the dog that when you say "enough" it means enough and to leave the kitten alone. if you can't supervise, then either the dog or the kittens get put away.

a tiny baby kitten should NOT be expected to ward off a dog much bigger that it is. that is not fair and it's dangerous to expect. figment was 1.2 pounds when i brought him home and luce is a very determined and prey-driven 45 pounds. if i had left it up to the two of them, figment would have been lunch meat. being a baby in a new home is stressful enough without having to worry about being eaten.

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 07:43:22 AM »

I believe obedience training is needed for every dog also, but that does not have to mean classes - even then the work is done at home as well as everywhere the animal goes. 

If you simply work on obedience at home you are missing out on the most important part of puppy obedience classes, the socialization (Like Kim said)!
Getting a puppy out into a stressful place and them realizing good things can happen there AND they need to behave there can not be duplicated in your home.  It is great that you are working with her at home!  That is needed too.  Adding a class would still be a great thing.

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 08:59:45 AM »
information gets repeated when it is good and sound advice - thats life. and just because you choose not to follow something, doesnt mean it is bad advice or won't work. we have all give you examples of how our perfectly capable dogs have been trained NOT to jump over something they could easily clear (in fact, rah is currently specifically working on an "over" command for agility).
It's offensive to those of us who give out solid advice that is effective, logical, and sound - to be told that it "wont work" because someone doesnt like the answer or doesn't feel like working on it. Your kittens hide when Willow harrasses them - you said they are stuck under the recliner, etc. They need and deserve time and space to be away from the dog, and your dog needs training and to learn that when you say leave the cats alone, she should.
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 10:59:41 AM »

As for Tru - she is socialized and gets exposed to other situations. 

I assume this is addressed at me?

For others that might be reading and wondering about classes and training.... there is no good replication of a puppy obedience class for socialization.  Taking your puppy to the dog park can lead to it being traumatized by other dogs and it does not learn to behave (do its obedience with distractions), etc.  I have seen more times than I can count the difference dog/puppy obedience classes have made in the DOGS (which leads to happier humans).  Obedience classes are an investment in your dogs happiness.

Silly example:  if your puppy has been going to class and enjoying themself, the ride in the car to the vets is no big deal.  Even going into the vets is no big deal, since they are used to being in a loud room with other animals and still being required to give you their attention.  They are used to greeting strange animals and behaving, etc.

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 11:17:59 AM »
from *Kat*

Quote from: kim on Today at 05:59:45 AM
information gets repeated when it is good and sound advice - thats life. and just because you choose not to follow something, doesnt mean it is bad advice or won't work. we have all give you examples of how our perfectly capable dogs have been trained NOT to jump over something they could easily clear (in fact, rah is currently specifically working on an "over" command for agility).
It's offensive to those of us who give out solid advice that is effective, logical, and sound - to be told that it "wont work" because someone doesnt like the answer or doesn't feel like working on it. Your kittens hide when Willow harrasses them - you said they are stuck under the recliner, etc. They need and deserve time and space to be away from the dog, and your dog needs training and to learn that when you say leave the cats alone, she should.

Yeah, the advice might fit and work for you and your household.  My house is not your house, and I don't currently want my house gated up.  I never said any of it was bad advice.  Just that it was after the problem was over and done with and that some of the suggestions given were not how things were going to work in my house.

As for being under the recliner - have you not read the part that says that was weeks ago???  They have had time and space away from the dog.

Quit trying to act like the all knowing.  I'm missing where coming on here getting all huffy about me already solving the problem is going to help anyone in the future that searchs for help.  My dog has gotten training.  Hense why this problem is over.

As for Tru - she is socialized and gets exposed to other situations.

Obviously the sound advice being given is completely underappreciated, and Kat continues to not understand the reason for the continued discussion.  I'm locking this thread because it's just ridiculous.  Attacking other forum members and being rude is not tolerated.  You know better.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 01:45:09 PM by Dearpie »