Author Topic: Flourescent/Neon yellowish green pus?!!  (Read 1254 times)

Offline LuvRats2

Flourescent/Neon yellowish green pus?!!
« on: September 06, 2006, 02:57:23 PM »
So I took Pepper to the vet. I told the vet I was pretty sure it was an abscess. The vet said she would just prick it with a needle to verify if anything came out. I felt a little uneasy that it was done with Pepper awake (Pepper was petrified and squimish, and I was afraid for her pain) - they had to scruff her and hold her, which she started crying (and my girl has NEVER cried) and then they stuck the needle in and my girl screamed - it was all I could do to hold back tears.

But then as soon as they stuck the needletip in and removed it - sure enough, pus - but flourescent green and I mean like a NEON light green pus oozed out! At first, she was going to WAIT and have Pepper come back and then I firmly urged for them to put Pepper under a little gas and try to clean it out now. They did - I think Pepper is ok.
She's in a one-level small cage on towels and I'm going to give her baytril for a week and a little metacam tonight.
I was told to put warm compresses to the wound - make sure her bedding is clean, etc.

But - that color pus? Anyone else ever seen that color before? I've heard of even greenish/darker - but, neon?

LR2

Offline osutigeress

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Flourescent/Neon yellowish green pus?!!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 03:22:14 PM »
Pasha's abcess puss was that color...my guess is that its fresh. :icon_puke_l: :icon_puke_r:

"I feel as if i am looking at the world from the bottom of a well..."

"I am beautifully broken and I don't care if I show it"

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 03:45:35 PM »
Wow. That's delightful, but I can't believe the vet didn't do anything to dull the pain before pricking her with a needle! So not cool. And then wanting to wait!? Gah!

And yeah, it was probably fresh. Ick.
~Ruthie
"Fear is the opposite of faith." -Susan W. Tanner
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org

Offline LuvRats2

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 04:04:34 PM »
Well I'll say one thing - you guys were NOT joking when you said there could be smell. Woah!
I'm so glad that stuff is OUT of my girl rather than in though!

Offline Lil Red

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 04:56:04 PM »
Ewwwww!  I've never seen pus that color (thankfully) but I used to have a rat named Eve who had an abscess.  The vet actually sliced it open with a scalpel while Eve was awake.  The incision was almost an inch long and Eve screamed when she did it.  I felt horrible about it.  Before she made the incision, I asked the vet about at least numbing the area and she assured me that rats felt very little pain.  The sound Eve made assured me that the vet was wrong.

Offline RKEM

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 05:24:10 PM »
When I had an abcess in my leg they tried to numb it but it didn't work. Being cut open by a scalpel while you are fully awake is beyond painful. I think those vets should have it done on themselves before doing it to critters.  :poke:

Glad it's drained and gone though.

Offline phatratt

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 10:35:36 PM »
   Yep. The smell is a real attention-grabber. Sounds like you're doing all the right things. She should be fine.

Offline Dorasmommy

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 11:13:15 PM »
yep, when dora had an abcess, the pus was pretty electric green.  I'm sure that's.... normal.. or as normal as pus is anyway.
The vet that drained her definitely put her under for it, though :BlueDumboBigEyes:

Offline SophiesHouseRescueNJ

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 12:00:07 AM »
Rats have very very little pain on their skin
We drain our own abcesses and yes they are electric green.. its pretty nasty
Im sure your rats were just screaming from being scared in the vet and then being held down by the vet.
Nothing to worry about

Offline Shar

• Posts Too Much!
  • ~~( *)8>
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 09:41:22 AM »
!!??

I know that my rats very much enjoy to be gently scratched down their backs and along their sides.  I am positive that if they can feel that then they can feel a cold steel blade slicing through their skin.

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 11:30:04 AM »
!!??

I know that my rats very much enjoy to be gently scratched down their backs and along their sides.  I am positive that if they can feel that then they can feel a cold steel blade slicing through their skin.

Wouldn't it hurt then when it bursts naturally or they bite and clean it out themselves?  I think the tissue over the abscess isn't the same as regular sensitive skin maybe?   :dontknow:

Offline Poisonetta

• Posts Too Much!
  • Everybody Cares, Everybody Understands
    • My Myspace
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 12:14:48 PM »
I am going in to have an abcess cleaned today (on my rat, not me...) wish us luck! it's right on her neck. She tried to clean it herself, or mayb e another rat tried to, but there's still something in it, and now she's got a little wound on it to boot. Bleh.

Poor girl. :(

Oh, AND I want a new vet. This one made me wait nearly a week to have the abcess drained, and he handles my pet rats like they were some snakes food. He hardly seems to care at all, or know much about rats.  :BlueDumboBigEyes:

Grrrr. Meany.
The fuzzy ones have taken over my brain! 

"Giiiiiive usssss yooooggggiiiiesssssssss"

Mother and Companion to Joanna, Laksme, Tompkins and Leopold.

Offline alybaba11

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rats are love
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 12:21:49 AM »
I have experiance with about 3 or 4 abcesses and I have cleaned and drained them many times...I have never had a rat complain of pain before. They don't seem to notice, except they do squeek because they want to get out of your hands. I have read that rats don't have much surface feeling, but who am I to judge, only our ratties know the truth!  :BlueDumboSmileTongue:

Pets name: Arnold
Adopted by: Alycat

Adopt your own!

Offline RKEM

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 07:50:49 AM »
I believe rats are just darn tough little critters.

That being said, the skin in and around an abcess is SUPER tender and way more sensitive than "normal" skin.