Author Topic: Ok Rabbit People, what to feed a rabbit?  (Read 3328 times)

Offline kyssyfur

• Posts Too Much!
    • Doggy Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Ok Rabbit People, what to feed a rabbit?
« on: September 07, 2006, 04:02:20 PM »
Someone dumped their pet angora rabbit off at our nature center.  It has been there a month or so and today I finally caught it.  I took her to the vet, and besides a couple of grubs living in her skin, she wasn't too bad off.  Very skinny however.   :puppy_dog_eyes:  SO.... what can i feed her to help her put on weight faster?  I currently have rats so I have lots of oatmeal and baby food on hand, but that just doesn't seem like something a rabbit would eat!  Any help would be great!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 09:17:43 PM by kyssyfur »

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
Re: Ok Rabbit People, what to feed a rabbit?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 05:57:29 PM »
First feed a high quality food like purina show formula or oxbow (I like purina better, and oxbow is incredibly more expensive). You can also offer oatmeal, and black oil sunflower seeds... Thats all I can think of all the top of my head for starters. Good luck! I'll come back later when I think of more.

Offline kyssyfur

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 09:17:14 PM »
Do you mean Purina cat food?

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 09:18:25 PM »
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry to be extreme, but I'm shocked you would even think for a second its ok to give a rabbit cat food! I mean purina RABBIT chow. Show formula is the most complete. It comes in a blue bag, the green bag is regular. Regular isnt bad, its just not as complete.

Offline kyssyfur

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 09:28:01 PM »
I didn't think that it made sense that is why I wanted to make sure!   :yelcutelaugh:  I had never heard of purina rabbit chow....  would i be able to get it at a walmart or meijers like store?  they are they only ones open this time of night

Offline knuckles

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Lightening
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 09:32:13 PM »
not being a "rabbit person" I had NO idea what you meant when you said "purina show formula" 

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 10:40:39 PM »
purina show formula, is like saying harlan teklad lab blocks. Its brand of food ;)

No, you won't find it at walmart. You won't find anything good to feed at walmart. Do you have any hay? I hesitate to say this since you said the rabbit is underweight, but she'd probably be better off if you wait until morning and go to a feed store. (yes, FEED store. Do not go to a pet store! You won't find anything worthwhile at a petstore, just like you can't find a good lab block at a pet store usually!) You can give her some fresh vegetables (no lettuce unless its dark and leafy) to hold her for the night...

Offline kyssyfur

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 05:24:42 PM »
Thanks!!  My place is a mad house right now.  I did go buy her some dark leafy greens (kale spinach, etc) Unfortunately, the feed store is now closed so my rabbit will have to put up with petco rabbit food (the most expensive if that means anything!) until monday.  I know I feel bad but as a consolation, I got her alfa and hay also!

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 05:30:52 PM »
unless its oxbow (which I think is sold at some petstores?) its probably crap... So get some good stuff when you can. By Alfa do you mean alfalfa? You should feed timothy hay, not alfalfa... Alfalfa is like pure sugar/junk food for herbivores. Its ok as a treat but timothy is much healthier.

Offline Darksong17

• The Rat Info Packet
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 06:19:43 PM »
http://www.petinfopackets.com/rabbits/rabbitinfopacket.html  This may be helpful to you, it also has links at the bottom of the page to other very helpful rabbit related websites. Good luck with the new bunn!
My informational rat packet can be found at: http://www.petinfopackets.com/rats/ratinfopacket.html

Offline kyssyfur

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 04:05:20 PM »
OPps, it just seems i can't get it right!    :doh:   THe little bunny on the bag said for a healthy rabbit feed us 100% alfalfa treats, environmental enrichment snacks that are packed with nutrtion!  Our potatoe chip bags and candy bars don't say that so how was I suspose to know that is was junk food!!   :balloon:  I am going to look at those sites you recommended!  thanks!

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 04:05:41 PM »
Rabbits need three things in their staple diet.  A good, high-quality pellet, like those from Oxbow or American Pet Diner.  You can find bags of Oxbow at certain smaller-chain pet stores, but APD needs to be bought online.  Next, rabbits should have grass hay, such as timothy hay, always available.  Again, the best hay comes from Oxbow and APD.  Lastly, buns needs fresh greens everyday.  I highly suggest you don't get kale or spinach; both are high in oxalates and can cause a gas attack, or even GI stasis.  Go more along the lines of romaine, green leaf, red leaf, endive, carrot tops, cilantro, italian parsley, et cetera.

http://www.oxbowhay.com
http://www.americanpetdiner.com
http://www.rabbit.org
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)