Author Topic: Branches?  (Read 1374 times)

Offline amymckee

• Posts Too Much!
Branches?
« on: October 07, 2006, 11:36:56 AM »
What kind of branches are safe to put in my cage? I'm going to my mother's house this weekend, and she lives out in the boonies. I'd like to take home some natural toys if I can find them, but I think most of her trees are pine.
RIP Sugar, Jasmine, Juniper, Sesame, Stella, Won-Ton, Lucy, Sophie, Olivia, Eloise, Starsha, Pepper, Freddie, Astra, Trelly, Scooter, Sparky, and "Rat".

Offline Michelle

Re: Branches?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 11:53:23 AM »
I think apple tree branches are the best. You can find them online too (I've seen them on eBay and Kim's Ark has small ones). Make sure your mother's trees were grown naturally.
~ Michelle and the mischief clan

Offline amymckee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 12:04:10 PM »
My mom would be mad if I cut off sections of her pear tree. LOL

Maybe buying stuff would be better. I'm still going to look for some nice rocks while I'm there.
RIP Sugar, Jasmine, Juniper, Sesame, Stella, Won-Ton, Lucy, Sophie, Olivia, Eloise, Starsha, Pepper, Freddie, Astra, Trelly, Scooter, Sparky, and "Rat".

Offline Rosies_Mom

• Posts Too Much!
  • When life hands you lemons, make a margarita!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 12:20:48 PM »
We had a long dead tree in our back yard a couple of years ago. We cut the top off the tree. It was a perfect "Y". I scraped off all the bark and made sure the wood was sanded and smooth and there were no more little occupants. Then in went into our very first homemade cage. They just loved it. I don't know what type of wood it is. It is just OLD! We still have the wood and I put it in the Martin's Cage once in a while. The kids love climbing on it.

Fruit trees are probably your best option. If you are close to the ocean, you can pick up drift wood. Pet Stores sell that at a real premium price.

Would old woody grape vines be good???
Nurse Roxie with her Nurse Bonnet.

Offline happybat

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 05:46:58 PM »
I tried those - my guys chewed them to shreds with expressions of ecstasy on their little faces. Total win.

Offline Willard

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 09:39:24 PM »
Any branches from outside should be cooked in the oven at a low temp for a while to kill off any parasites and other undesirables.

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 06:18:51 AM »
 I'm hesitant to put any kind of branches (from outside) in the cage due to all SORTS of critters crawling on them for lord knows how long. Willard's suggestion of putting them in the oven ( i think it is 250F, overnight) is a good one. Knowing me, I'd still bleach them LOL

Manzanita branches and bird ropes keep my mind at ease

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline tweaks

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 11:59:52 AM »
A small box of apple sticks at my local pet store was $4. There was no way I was gonna pay for something I could get for free. I found some in my area and boiled them to get the bacteria & critters off and put them in the cages. Some liked em some didn't.