Author Topic: My Grotto Cage *Updated! New pics 10/8*  (Read 3375 times)

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
My Grotto Cage *Updated! New pics 10/8*
« on: September 09, 2006, 06:35:00 PM »
So its DONE. Took me a couple days, many hours, a couple thumb hammerings... But its done!!!! No ratties in it yet, I still need to pick up some litterboxes. Its also quite sparse, needs more decorations. Here it is!!

First, unfurnished..

Noki the foster kitten models the GIGANTIC size of this cage...

And furnished! sparsely...

« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 06:51:23 AM by ~Lin »

Offline pheebs79

Re: My cage is done!!!!! Grotto style
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 06:38:18 PM »
I really like it!

How much did it cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 06:43:37 PM »
It was NOT bad. The total bill for the cage supplies was 196 something, and that includes a staple gun and a miter kit that I'm going to return to home depot  :cheeky: So probably around 160? I also had to go buy towels and bird ladders though, and need to get some new furnishings... But probably around 160 for the building supplies. Its HUGE too, its 4 ft tall by 2 ft deep by 2.5 feet wide. And 4 shelves, with 2 complete shelves and 2 half shelves. I ordered some Dearpie hammocks that will be hung next to the half shelves, so the ratties can just walk off the shelves into the hammocks.

Offline nancycccslp

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Mr.Whisper, Teddy Ratsevelt; my first rat friends
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 07:48:36 PM »
Looks waaay comfy and fun!
How many critters you going to keep in there?
I miss you and love you Teddy Ratsevelt and Benny.  Thank you for being my heart rats.

It's not the size of the pet in your life, it's the size of the life in your pet

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 07:55:47 PM »
Nice!  I'm way too lazy and just love my martin's cages!  hehehe

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 08:43:39 PM »
I'm not sure how many I'm going to end up with lol, you know how GGMR is... The number of rats you own increases in direct proportion to the size of your cage ;) I only have one lone girl right now, she lost her cagemate on the 25th. I'm going to pick up a rat tommorow in IL, so after quarantine that will make 2. What lucky girls!!! And I'm on a waiting list with Melina for some rittens.

Offline Nokithis

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
Re: My cage is done!! Grotto style *pictures*
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 09:55:47 PM »
wow, awesome cage lin.  my ratties will be jealous.  btw, imagine that, another animal named noki...lol. 
at the bridge: rosie, lucyhoney, ms kara, rani, noki, thistle, pi, koko, teacup, miss lana, whisper, kiefer, misha, kismet, summer, lizabeth darlin, karma, ophelia, willow, daisy, clarissa, lillian, kira, sasha, yum yum, violet, codyrat, kyley, abracadabra mackenzie rat, squeekeekee, riley, & fiona.

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 09:58:13 PM »
wow, awesome cage lin.  my ratties will be jealous.  btw, imagine that, another animal named noki...lol. 

Do you have a rat named Noki?

Offline Nokithis

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 10:29:01 PM »
hehehe...yes.  a black berkie girl name noki and a lilac berkie girl named thistle.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 10:32:07 PM by Nokithis »
at the bridge: rosie, lucyhoney, ms kara, rani, noki, thistle, pi, koko, teacup, miss lana, whisper, kiefer, misha, kismet, summer, lizabeth darlin, karma, ophelia, willow, daisy, clarissa, lillian, kira, sasha, yum yum, violet, codyrat, kyley, abracadabra mackenzie rat, squeekeekee, riley, & fiona.

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 10:33:28 PM »
I didnt realize it was a popular name. An online friend from finland named Noki for me, since it means soot in finnish. She thought it fit her because of her torti colouring.

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 12:35:49 AM »
Congratulations Lin! I know how hard you've been working on it (we've chatted about it all throughout the process) and how many trips you had to make back and forth. The work was well worth it huh?? Look at how spacious it is. Your two lil girls (and more in the future) are gonna love it. Now lets pray that they are gentle with it!

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 11:23:44 AM »
That turned out very nice!  Now post a pic in the "Decorating your cage" thread, so it's readily available when someone needs to see how to decorate their own grotto!  ;)

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 11:42:15 AM »
That turned out very nice!  Now post a pic in the "Decorating your cage" thread, so it's readily available when someone needs to see how to decorate their own grotto!  ;)

It definately needs some more decorations first! Like some Dearpie hammocks  :cheeky:

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2006, 12:37:02 PM »
It's in the works!!  ;)

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 01:28:26 PM »
Gretchen is in the cage!!! I think she likes it, though shes still busy exploring! She wasnt too sure about the bird ladders at first, one of them wasnt very sturdy and it moved when she got on and it scared her. I just adjusted the screw eyes that its hooked on to make it more secure. Now I'm off to go pick up a rat in IL so Gretchen can have a buddy again in 3 weeks!

On a somber note, as Gretchen ran around exploring I started thinking how I wish Summer was here to see the new cage... RIP Summer.

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2006, 06:07:24 PM »
Your cage is beautiful.  I have a somewhat modified grotto-style cage and my boys just love it.  I'm sure your girls will, too! 

Sorry about Summer :(

Offline kreestole

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 12:49:28 AM »
Wow, that's awesome. Great job!
3 kids: Alice, Drake, and Dylan
1 cat: Lucy
3 Rats: Fiona, Poppy, and Violet

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2006, 01:17:19 PM »
You got a Log!! I love it!! Just to let ya know, my two have eviscerated the padding and mauled the yellow interior. They also created an 'Emergency Exit Hatch' out of one of the little stumps coming off the back. They love it, though! They sleep in there more often than their hammock.

I love your grotto! It looks massive. I wish I had the money to do one myself. They look like they'd be a blast to decorate.

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2006, 01:50:05 PM »
Yea I got a log! I saw it at petsmart and remembered someone posting about it on here, that must have been you! It was really cute and pretty cheap so I decided to get it. Gretchen has redecorated :( the litterboxes were pulled away from the corners and dumped, everything on the top shelf is now on the middle shelf... and the towels are rearranged too. I wonder if I put velcro strips on the shelves it might help the towels from being moved around so much? Does anyone have any suggestions for anchoring the litterboxes?

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2006, 01:58:17 PM »
When I looked into grotto style cages, I checked out Dapper Rat. If you look over at her pages, she's got how she constructs and decorates her cages. I'm 99% sure that's where I got my velcro idea..

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2006, 02:00:28 PM »
Whats your velcro idea? Ive checked those pages, I made the plans for my grotto based on theirs.

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2006, 02:07:15 PM »
You can buy stick/sew velcro at fabric stores. On the underside of the towels, you sew the soft side of the velcro. On the shelf, you put the 'stick' side of the velcro down. It sticks to the shelf pretty well, and holds the towel in place. I cut and finish my towels, so that's what works for me. If you're just folding the towel, I don't know how well that would work.

Offline gomezsusa

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2006, 10:30:28 PM »
It is a stunning piece of work.  This cage gets the rare title of "attractive" !!!

Well done!

Offline JulesMichy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2006, 08:55:02 AM »
I've got the same bird ladders in my rats' play area, and I noticed that if they tried to go down them too fast their little legs got tangled through the rungs. You might run into the same problem, and if so you can just buy a couple of cheap hand towels form Wal-Mart or the Dollar Tree and wrap them mummy style around the ladder, cut an end into two strips and tie it off. Worked for me.

Offline AneesasMuse

• Posts Too Much!
  • The Poodah Pack!!
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2006, 07:16:34 PM »
I love this Grotto, Lin!! I bet the girls will love filling it up and redecorating it for you  :hyper:

I think this is what I'm going to end up doing. I have some leftover melamine shelves from my art room make over, so I'll only need a few more pieces and some hardware to put them together. Maybe I'll do the side by side version since I've ended up with mixed "intact" sexes. Hmmmmm... decisions, decisions...

What is the log thingy? I'm interested in this for Poodah and his new brothers when they arrive.

Thanks for sharing, too  :BlueDumboSmile: