Author Topic: My new cage cleaning tool/ idea!  (Read 1198 times)

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
My new cage cleaning tool/ idea!
« on: September 10, 2006, 03:26:00 PM »
I have bad knees and it's hard for me to lift the cages to clean them. I can scrub the cages really well, without moving them,  vinegar and water. The Martin's Drop pan made it hard to clean the bottom because I couldn't get all the shavings out without lifting the cage out the pan. I bought a shop vac and LOVE it.

Now I use the shop vac to suck all the shavings out of the pan and for clean up around the cages! It's easy to get the extension behind the cages without pulling them completely out. I got the 5 gallon quiet series. It's actually quieter than my regular vacuum cleaner and it doesn't clog up like my regular vacuum! I'm so happy I got this thing! $35.00 at Wal-Mart!

This is so handy when you 31 rats! Just thought I'd share this with everyone, especially those with lots and lots of ratties!
I just realized this thread sounds like an infomercial for ShopVac!!!!

Offline OldsGal

• Posts Too Much!
  • You Always Widdle On The One You Love
Re: My new cage cleaning tool/ idea!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 04:06:23 PM »
I have been using a shop vac to clean my cages for years.  Welcome to the easier way to clean out old liter.  I also find it great for cleaning poo and pee from the shelves so that they can be wiped down
Treat everyday like a dog would.  If you can't eat it or chew on it then pee on it and walk away!

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 06:10:50 PM »
Ya should have told me to do this along time ago LOL!! It's great! I was sweeping poo around the outside of the cage and

Aydanne came rushing down to check it out. I held the hose about a foot from the cage so she could feel the suction. She went crazy trying to get to it! I'll have to keep an eye on her when I clean or she'll go shooting up the hose like Agustus Gloop did in the chocolate tube in Willy Wonka  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline OldsGal

• Posts Too Much!
  • You Always Widdle On The One You Love
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 06:15:07 PM »
OK this literally was a LOL image.  Not just a polite LOL you give to say something is funny.  I actually had the image in my head of her going up the tube.  Hee Hee.
Treat everyday like a dog would.  If you can't eat it or chew on it then pee on it and walk away!

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 06:36:06 PM »
I wish I had my camera! She had her face pressed to the bars and reaching her paws out to grab it. (I hope I didn't suck her to the bars and she was just stuck there - JUST KIDDING, FOLKS!!!) 

After a few minutes of trying to get the great sucking machine, she went popcorning up the ladder to beat up on her sister. It must have made her feel frisky.  :cheeky:

Offline tb712

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 08:01:18 PM »
I have a shop-vac as well and it came in pretty handy when we were using an aquarium.  It has a filter inside of the little chamber thingy, which gets pretty stinky if you dont change it often.  That was my only complaint, otherwise it's awsome, easy to use and makes cleaning up a lot quicker.
Brittney & Tom

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 10:11:00 PM »
I bought my wet/dry shop-vac a couple of years ago for the sole purpose of vacuuming out litter, and any hay/pellets left askew by Miss BunBun.  I have to say, I LOVE it.  It makes everything so much easier!  Just vacuum out the whole cage's bottom pan, dump out vacuum in a trash bag, and tada!  Easy peasy.
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline CampRhubarb

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 10:36:01 PM »
I have a little one like that and a bigger one, but I remember the shavings always clogging the tube.  So, I haven't tried either in a long time.  That leaves me wondering, which bedding do you use? 

I currently use my dustbuster to clean around the cages after litter changes and when they throw unwanted food off the top floor.  It charges on the wall of the same room that the cages are in, so I am reminded to clean up more often :)
Boots, Juju, Delia, Lyra, Hope, Faith, Eloise, and Myrtle

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 12:08:12 AM »
I'm currently using aspen shavings. They seem to clog the tube if I just stick it in the middle of the pile. I do a sweeping motion and stir the shavings as I vacuum them up.  :thumbsup2:

Offline nek0nyu

• Squeak!
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 03:28:35 PM »
I was SO going to buy one of these a while ago but the thought of it having a filter put me off.. because.. its gonna smell like rat feces and rat peepee in no time.