Author Topic: Securing litterboxes in a grotto?  (Read 2684 times)

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
Securing litterboxes in a grotto?
« on: September 17, 2006, 02:38:54 AM »
Ok, so the grotto is still new and we are working out the kinks! One kink is I was using towels folded over, and Gretchen decided it was more fun to rearrange and sleep inbetween layers of the towel. So for now I have all around the edges sewn, and I'm going to add velcro to secure them the best I can to the grotto floors. But as holes are chewed, I'll need to do more sewing! Its a work in progress... A big kink, is Gretchen has taken to dragging the litterbox out of the corner, and then peeing and pooping in the corner where the litterbox used to be  :doh: Silly girl. So, those of you with a grotto, any ideas on securing the litterbox? So it cant be dragged away? I tried to search the forum, used various words, and didn't come up with anything.

Offline Bekah

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Securing litterboxes in a grotto?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 06:34:53 AM »
I don't have a grotto, but the part of my cage with the litter pan was covered with linoleum.  I bought some sticky-backed velcro, put a couple of pieces on the litter pan, matching pieces on the floor of the cage, and presto--the little rascals couldn't fling raisins and bedding all over anymore. 

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 03:50:32 PM »
Ok, thanks. I may go ahead and try that, while I'm already attaching velcro to the towels. I won't be velcroing it to the grotto floor, but to the towel since it goes under. Then the towel is velcro'd to the floor...

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 06:39:06 AM »
The velcro already mentioned should do it.. I think that's how dapper rat does it, actually.. Can you tell I'm obsessed with that woman's grotto?! I  :heart: her grotto..

If for some reason that doesn't work, you could also try some of those teacup holder hooks, and ziptie/attach the litter pans to those..

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 02:23:04 PM »
I have a bunch of screw eyes in the cage for hanging the hammocks and ladders... I thought about ziptying the litterboxes to one of those, but Id have to drill a hole in the litterbox and I don't have a drill.

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 06:53:00 PM »
Actually.. If you're adventurous..

Depending on what your litterboxes are, like what they're made out of and how thick they are.. You could use a hole punch, you could use a screwdriver that had been heated up enough to melt-ish the plastic, you could buy a small drill and return it the next day, you could buy a small wood burning tool and return it the next day...

I also saw these little stick n' clip things are work today. They're meant for rabbit or GP cages, you stick the clips to the side of the litterbox and then clip it onto the cage wire. You could ziptie the little clip bits instead of trying to make a hole in the pan itself.. Or do something similar maybe?

Offline Bekah

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 11:14:46 PM »
If you don't want to do the buy-return thing, you could try what I do.  I use those little torch things (the ones you use to light a grill--long, so your hand isn't right by the flame) to heat the plastic while pressing our ice pick into it.  It eventually pops right through.  Much better method than my previous one, which involved holding said torch in place till the plastic melted in a large, uneven hole.  I've poked several small holes in the bottom of a thick-ish salad bowl this way, and it works really well.

Offline andrea1970

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 12:38:27 PM »
I just did this the other day -- I didn't even think of heating it up first!!  Basically I used a hammer and nail to mail a good "dent", then I used a screw and screwdriver to make an actual hole.  Then I used a shower hook to clip it to the cage.  The hardest part was trying to hold the litterbox in the right position while making the hole.

The boys rewarded my efforts by piling everything into the litterbox that night, instead of moving the litterbox around the cage.  :doh:
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."  -- Thomas Jefferson
Andrea DeJarnett

Offline kreestole

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 01:28:06 AM »
If you figure it out, let me know. I'm having the same issues with my two younger boys. Right now I am using two half bricks to hole them in place, and also to hold the towels down. They still get under though so I am probably giving that up soon.
3 kids: Alice, Drake, and Dylan
1 cat: Lucy
3 Rats: Fiona, Poppy, and Violet

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 01:41:54 AM »
An update... I'm planning on trying the velcro, because that seems to be the easiest... I hope it works! But I havent been able to yet, because I need to sew the velcro to my towels that line the floors, and I haven't yet because sewing machine issues. I think the tension on my machine is broke.

Offline kreestole

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 12:11:20 PM »
Wow Lin, I have the same issues. I had the velcro all cut and ready and then my sewing machine decided to rebel. I guess I could have handsewn them but thick material takes a long time to handsew.

One thing I thought of for the litterpans is those magnet clips (for the fridge or similar). I was envisioning glueing magnets to the walls and then sticking the clips to them and clipping the litterboxes in place.

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 05:17:25 PM »
Hmm... that may work, something with strong magnets... Interesting... I must explore that idea!

(while I dream of a new sewing machine and throw mine out the window)

Offline AneesasMuse

• Posts Too Much!
  • The Poodah Pack!!
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 08:19:41 PM »
Now, I am brainstorming ideas of how to keep potty boxes in place BEFORE I  put the rattie kids in the new Grotto

...thanks, you guys!   ;D

Offline kreestole

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 02:23:40 AM »
Alright Lin! 1......2......3......Heave!

That was us both throwing our sewing machines out a window together.  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 07:57:19 AM »
Oh! Oh! oh! Can I throw mine out, too?! It's a 10yr old Singer that can hardly go through cotton broadcloth, let alone towels. If I have to get it repaired one more time, I'm gonna scream..

Course, if I chuck it out a window, it's a perfect excuse to buy a new one on sale at Joann's.. Hrmm....

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 08:25:52 AM »
you could buy a small drill and return it the next day, you could buy a small wood burning tool and return it the next day...

I can't say that I think it is the most ethical thing to buy a tool to do a project and take it back when you are done.   :eek:

If they are the purchased little pans I would be careful using a hole punch or such since that plastic is brittle and it will crack easily.

Until you get your sewing machine fixed (mine is broken too, good thing, I use it as my excuse not to sew things) you could alway put Velcro on the wall behind the littler pan on the sides of the pan, instead of the bottom and floor.

Good luck.  I know my girls would find a way to redecorate no matter what I did.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 11:47:08 AM by trubandloki »

Offline Bekah

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006, 11:39:24 AM »
If you don't want to do the buy-return thing,

I can't say that I think it is the most ethical thing to buy a tool to do a project and take it back when you are done.   :eek:

I'd like to clarify, for the record, that I'm not the one who suggested it, nor have I ever done it.  ;)

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 11:45:52 AM »
If you don't want to do the buy-return thing,

I'd like to clarify, for the record, that I'm not the one who suggested it, nor have I ever done it.  ;)

Sorry, you are right, I missed it in the post above yours!!!  Sorry...

I will modify my post.

Edit to add:  All fixed Bekah, sorry again!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 11:47:40 AM by trubandloki »

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2006, 11:50:00 AM »
I'll admit, I've done it, and I think I was the first to suggest it. I never said it was ethical.  :wink5:

On the other hand, it's usually a tool I really need, but can't afford at the moment. I'm not the type that buys a dress, wears it for an evening, then takes it back. Or in this case, uses a drill then takes it back. I also use this method if I want to try something out. I thought I might like a new Dremmel tool that's more like the gun than the stick, so I bought one. I hated it. So I returned it. I don't see it as horribly unethical if I intend on buying it soon.

It's all besides the point anyhow, since Lin is trying other methods.

Offline kreestole

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 12:16:26 PM »
Whenever I need to put a hole in something plastic I use an Exacto knife and just twirl it in circles and "shave" a hole into the plastic. I've done it with corner litter pans to make holes for the zipties.

Offline Poisonetta

• Posts Too Much!
  • Everybody Cares, Everybody Understands
    • My Myspace
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2006, 12:42:30 PM »
I am not sure if this is a hijack or not, but speaking of securing things in grottos... I am working on building one and want to get all the kinks out before I put the girls in.

As far as lining the cage, what has everyone had the most success with? I am going to be using the velcro method for the litter pans, but my main concern is that they'll scrunch the towels up and poop all over and just make a big mess of everything.

To anyone who velcros towels to the shelves as liners: Does this method work for you? Do your ratties just find a way to pull them up and burrow in them?

The fuzzy ones have taken over my brain! 

"Giiiiiive usssss yooooggggiiiiesssssssss"

Mother and Companion to Joanna, Laksme, Tompkins and Leopold.

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2006, 01:07:26 PM »
The only time the girls really tear up the cage is when they haven't had much out time. With a hectic schedule, sometimes I can't get them out for a full 2 hours. If it happens for a few days in a row, the girls will start pulling up the towels and making Rat Art with bits and pieces of it. Otherwise, it's a corner pulled up here or there.

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2006, 05:06:45 PM »
I'm working on velcroing the towels to the floors, but cause the stupid sewing machine thats been put on delay. So I can't tell you how well it works yet. I used towels doubled over, and went ahead and sewed the edges so they cant be burrowed in. Once they add "windows" though, I'll have to do more modifications of course ;) I'm hoping it won't be a problem though, Ive never had  bad chewers in the past and I'm hoping as soon as my hammocks get here they will be more interested in those than the floor. (Dearpie is also having sewing machine issues, it must be an epidemic!!)

as for velcroing the sides of the litterboxes to the walls of the grotto, that wont work because the sides don't match up against the walls perfectly. The sides are sort of angled plus a lip on the edges so theres too much space. But good idea, I thought of it too before I realized!

Offline kreestole

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2006, 11:05:20 PM »
The velcro didn't work for me because they chewed around it. I have also figured out that without their normal 2-3 hours of free-range time daily, they rebel by making a mess. I am havign luck with 1/2 bricks and binderclips for keepign the towels down mostly.

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2006, 06:45:30 AM »
Bumping because I secured the litterboxes. I ended up melting a hole and then adding more screw eyes to the inside of the cage and ziptying them. I have an electric range so I put a screwdriver on the range and when the range turned orange, I took off the screwdriver and it went through the litterbox like a hot knife through butter.

And to Poinsetta, I ended up velcroing fleece to the floor as bedding... I just finished tonight, so I'll see how long it lasts!

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2006, 06:05:15 AM »
I never thought of using binder clips. That's a good idea!

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline kreestole

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2006, 02:04:18 PM »
Update for my grotto.

I wasn't liking how fast the towels or cloth started to smell so I built in little walls of plexiglass and went back to bedding. Right now they have Eco-Bedding and shredded paper and their litterboxes. They are loving it and now I don't have to worry if they make a huge mess because I can just sweep out the bedding, wipe it down, and fill it back up. Now I can go longer between changings. I will however keep the cloth because when I have my own washer and dryer again I won't mind but in an apt. it kinda sucks to lug around rat bedding to wash when you have to walk across the complex with your other laundry and a 2 yr old.