Author Topic: Help with Homemade Cage Doors  (Read 5012 times)

Offline OldsGal

• Posts Too Much!
  • You Always Widdle On The One You Love
Help with Homemade Cage Doors
« on: October 06, 2006, 11:28:13 PM »
Ok so hubby made me two homemade cages out of the 1/2 squares hardware cloth for my babies to be in.  Well so far they work great except for one problem.  I HATE THE DOORS.  They don't stay shut for nothing.  I have used springs and they leave gaps so I have to use wire and just twist the wire shut to hold the doors shut.  Well I have no less than 6 wires holding these doors shut that I have to untwist every time I want in the rat cage.  I am sick of it.  So I am wondering for those of you who have made cages like this before what do you do to keep the doors shut?  If you have a picture that would be great too as I am a very visual learner.

Here is a good pic of the entire cage so you can see what we have.  Note that this pic was taken before the monsters figured out that they could push their way out of the cage between the door and the cage.  There are many more wires now:

And here is a close up of what I mean by wiring the cage shut:

Treat everyday like a dog would.  If you can't eat it or chew on it then pee on it and walk away!

Offline lkblair

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Help with Homemade Cage Doors
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 11:51:26 PM »
I'm so not good at this stuff.  The only thing I can think of is to add some sort of frame, but I don't know what you could use that they wouldn't chew through.

Actually, the reason I'm responding is just to say those babies are absolutely perfectly amazingly adorable!  I just thought I'd say something about the doors to stay on topic and not be accused of spamming.  :rattysmiley:

Lisa
Lisa
1 husband, 4 kids, 7 rats, 1 dog, 1 cat, and way too many fish
gone to the bridge in 2006 - rat: Socks, 10wks  cats: Trinity, 15; Rascal, 17

Offline Willard

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 04:23:33 AM »
I made a cage out of the same material and for the door I made it 1 inch bigger on both dimensions and folded over 1/2" on all 4 edges.  This makes it a lot sturdier and doesn't bend as much.   I did the same thing around the door hole in the cage.   The door is also still 1" larger on both dimensions than the hole so there is overlap.  Door is hinged at the bottom and held shut at the top with 1 latch spring from my Martins cage.

When I latch it shut I make sure the hooked latch end goes thru both the door and the folded over cage "lip" underneath it.   This holds it shut tight and allows no escapes.   I think it helps also to have the door hinged at the bottom because thats where the rats reach it most easily and there is no way to push thru at the bottom.  The only possible escape points are at the top of the door and thats more work to get to.  But the main thing is the spring latch going thru the door AND cage to hold it tight.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 04:33:23 AM by Willard »

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 07:28:53 AM »
 Unfortunately that kind of wire is very flexible and the door is probably pretty easy to push apart from the rest of the cage. The babies being babies..they can tell! LOL

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline Michelle

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 11:51:33 AM »
You need to get some of these. They're the latches used for Martin's cages. The straight part you need to attach to the door with c-rings. Here's a pic of the latch on my Martin's cage to show you how it connects.

I don't know where you can get them besides Martin's (shipping would be insane), but I guess a hardware store.
~ Michelle and the mischief clan

Offline OldsGal

• Posts Too Much!
  • You Always Widdle On The One You Love
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 11:58:16 AM »
I went and wandered around the hardware store this morning and talked with a sales person and I came home with an arsenole of things to try.  I bought some more springs, I also bought Aligator Clips, and finally I bought some clothes pins.  We will try them all and see what works best.  Otherwise hubby is a sheetmetal/heating and ac guy so he said he could build me a door out of sheetmetal that might work better but I really don't want to use that cuz it will be galvanized and I know it will get yucky faster.  This is why I need to just spring for a martins and get rid of these crappy things so that I can keep babies.  All of my other large cages have big bar spacing.

Staci
Treat everyday like a dog would.  If you can't eat it or chew on it then pee on it and walk away!

Offline Tamara

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 06:18:42 PM »
Hello, this is what I did for my homemade cage.  Now I was lucky and my girls weren't real chewers and we secured the frame down well enough that they didn't bother it.  Anyway, one more idea for you.  I do have closer up pictures of the latches and hinges.  But this gives you the overall idea.

Offline kreestole

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 02:43:17 PM »
For mine I used some plastic trim from the hardware store to sturdy the edge, I overlapped the door about an inch and folded over the edges to make it sturdier. I made a spring style thing. Mario figured out he could push through the dorr and squeeze out the gap, so I bought heavier duty springs and made sure I got the wire piece around the door and the cage frame. I didn't have any problems after that.

I don't know that I have a close up, I know its hard to see.

Here's the trim

Maybe this is better?

Ahh, here's the latch I made. I used copper wire and springs. The springs were later changed to a stronger stiffer spring once Mario figured out they weren't that strong.
3 kids: Alice, Drake, and Dylan
1 cat: Lucy
3 Rats: Fiona, Poppy, and Violet