Author Topic: ?barks to much  (Read 2967 times)

Offline babyrat

?barks to much
« on: September 25, 2006, 06:13:54 PM »
i just got a 4 month old pure dalmation pup he is very sweet but he barks to much what can i do ???
My rats are Mike and Scooter my cats are Kitten and Honey and my dogs are Sadie and Maggie
R.I.P/Shango(dog), Annie(dog), Echo(dog), Blizzerd(rabbit), and Iggie(lizerd)

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
Re: ?barks to much
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 06:49:08 AM »
Can you give us more information?  When does he bark, what is he doing, what are you doing?  What have you done about it?

Offline babyrat

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 10:09:55 PM »
well my dad got him a bark coller but i dont like it. um... he barks a lot at night and its making the people who live next to me angry and if i cant get him to stop my dad told me we would have to get rid of him. but he barks primarilly at night with scattered barks durring the day its mainly at night and then in the morning when i go to school???
My rats are Mike and Scooter my cats are Kitten and Honey and my dogs are Sadie and Maggie
R.I.P/Shango(dog), Annie(dog), Echo(dog), Blizzerd(rabbit), and Iggie(lizerd)

Offline tsk_n_such

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 01:06:55 AM »
This is a puppy, and he should not be wearing a bark collar.   

When is he barking at night? Is he in a crate? In another room? Where is the crate? Does he have to go out? (a puppy at that age likely isn't housetrained yet).  Remember, a tired puppy is a happy, quiet puppy.  Give him a long play session before bedtime, and again early in the morning before school. When you leave, perhaps give him his morning meal stuffed into a Kong toy, or a similar treat toy.

The wee rat girls: Dysentery, Tularemia and Listeria

Offline crtjh

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 11:22:27 PM »
i would give him something to do all the time, kong, bones, and we even have a digging box outside, so now my dog can be outside alone for a while. we use soup bones cut into peices of about 1-2 inches. they just get the marrow out and then they can chew on the regeular bone part. it takes a while to get the marrow out and apparently they like it! just be careful of the ants if they dont get all the meat off...the barking could be because he is bored. if it is, this will help. also, try letting him sleep in a room with people, even if not on the bed, if you arent already, he could feel separated from his "pack"

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 07:32:47 AM »
I had typed a long response, but my computer ate it.   :eek:

Short version.... I agree with the "a tired puppy is a good puppy" theory.

Before bed time and before you leave for school take your puppy out and take him for a walk.  Not a casual sniff the neighborhood and go no where walk, a cruise around and get some exercise walk.  Also take him in your yard and run him around, play fetch, etc.

I strongly suggest you enroll in some dog obedience classes.