Author Topic: Yorkies - pros and cons?  (Read 6573 times)

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
Yorkies - pros and cons?
« on: October 01, 2006, 11:31:15 AM »
We're thinking of maybe getting a yorkie sometime next year - after we get a house.  Dave REAAAAALLY likes yorkies, and our neighbor having two of the little guys doesn't help that.   :thumbsup2:

Does anyone have any information/opinions about them?  Would one do ok with three cats?  We also have a hamster, and two finches.  The hamster probably won't be around by the time we get the dog, so we'd have just the cats and finches.  It shouldn't be too overwhelming, I'm guessing.  I just don't want the cats, or the dog getting too jealous!  :(

I'm still kind of surprised that out of all dogs, Dave wants such a fru-fru one!   :yelcutelaugh:  I've decided I like them as long as they have the short puppy cut.  ;)  (I don't care for the long flowy hair.)

Offline OldsGal

• Posts Too Much!
  • You Always Widdle On The One You Love
Re: Yorkies - pros and cons?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 11:38:11 AM »
OMG I sooooo want a mini or teacup yorkie.  They are soooo cute and soooo sweet. My MIL has one and some friends of ours have one and my great grammie has one.  They are just very sweet.  However, you have to really work on them from a young age to not be yippie.  My great grammies and MIL is very yippie however, our friends is very quiet.  They said that they just started with her as a puppy and taught her that it was not ok to bark.  Whereas my MIL and Grammie let theirs get away with it.

Staci
Treat everyday like a dog would.  If you can't eat it or chew on it then pee on it and walk away!

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 12:29:35 PM »
I read that there was really no such thing as a "teacup" or "mini" yorkie, and to stay away from breeders that call them that?  I've also read that they are more likely to have health problems (like hypoglycemia and choking), or could get hurt due to having more fragile bones?  I need to read up on it more though.  (tho I don't mind having a normal sized yorkie myself.)

I DEFINATELY want to teach it not to bark so much.  I don't mind dogs barking sometimes, I mean...  that's what dogs do!  But I know it would drive me nuts to hear constant "YIP YIP YIP YIP YIP!!!".   :P

Offline tsk_n_such

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 02:12:34 PM »
There is no such thing as a 'teacup' or 'mini' yorkie (or pomeranian, chihuahua, etc for that matter) Here is the yorkshire terrier club of america's stance on them..
http://www.ytca.org/faq.html#A
A yorkie bred to standard size (6ish lbs) is certainly tiny enough.

That aside, the main thing to remember about yorkies is that they are, as their name implies, a terrier. Many people forget this, and are then surprised that their dog is on the go go go, and doing very terriery things. They enjoy exercise, playing, and they're very rough and tumble little dogs in spite of their appearance.

While many yorkies can be near smaller animals, my own can't. He's far too prey driven.  The cats and such he is wonderful with (he naps with them sometimes), even kittens, but he cannot be near my rats, and in spite of the parrot being here long long before he was, he still thinks if he tries hard enough he'll one day be able to bounce through the heavy duty cage. (the bird finds this greatly amusing ::))  This aside, they are wonderful little dogs. I think that all little dogs benefit from obedience classes, especially the little terrier-esque ones. It gives their little minds something to do.  They're very smart..Jules once learned, as a puppy, to open a box, after looking at it for a moment from all sides, and then popping the lid off. All so he could look inside to see what was in there.
The wee rat girls: Dysentery, Tularemia and Listeria

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Posts Too Much!
  • How could you NOT love those furry little faces?
    • CatCentric.org
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 02:15:56 PM »
There really is no such thing as a "mini", etc, just a poor pup that's been bred to be as tiny as possible so as to make as much money as possible for the breeder. :confused: The AKC breed standard simply states not more than 7 lbs, but anything smaller than around 4 lbs and health issues start cropping up; obviously, the smaller the dog, the more series the problems.

I have a Yorkie who just makes the 5 lb mark. These dogs are very, very smart, but also fairly needy. Jasmine has learned over six commands that can be given by either voice or hand signal, as well as several more by voice alone. She responds instantly to "Stop!", she knows to sit and wait for permission to take/eat a treat, and she pees and potties on command (I swear it!).

I have had various other pets in the nine years I've had Jaz, including an 85 lb black lab (my ex's), birds, cats and rats. She gets along famously with all of them. I've never met such an intelligent, loving dog.

On the down side, she's so small she needs assistance getting on the couches and beds - and she's not happy unless she's up there with me. She won't make a fuss, and she'll find someplace else to lie down, but that's only because she's a good girl, not because she's ok with it. I have doggy steps all over the house because I can't stand to see her sad.  ::)

But the biggest thing, and the only thing I would warn potential Yorkie owners about, is they are incredibly hard to housebreak. That is why Jaz is trained to pee and potty on command - it was a last ditch effort, after 18 months of trying everything under the sun, to end the peeing in the house. Thankfully, it worked, and we've never had an accident since (not even when I went away for 28 hours and my mother FORGOT to come by and let Jaz out!).

Oh, and I wouldn't recommend that Yorkies be in families that have small kids, only because they're so small themselves they get hurt easily.

Just my two cents worth.   ;D
AC's Crew: Allen, Rachel, Meghan, Spencer, Heather & Ralph

CatCentric.org: A raw feeding, feline nutrition, health and general cat care blog, article and resource site.

Offline crtjh

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 11:18:24 PM »
aah...yorkies...tiny...yappy....cute and nice tho i geuss....lol

Offline tb712

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 04:49:00 PM »
I have a yorkie and she's pretty cool.  She's obsessed with my mom though and follows her around all the time!! Haha.  She's pretty cute though. A few pros: no shedding, small, great with kids, good with other animals, but beware they are bred to hunt small rodents and the like, and they're very loving! The cons: they do need to be groomed in order to keep their hair at a decent length (I suppose it's preference) and they are small dogs so they have small bones and parts which may = problems when they are older.  Many of those cons and pros are typical of many dogs.  Yorkies also are very prone to having their trachea collapse, due in part to the small bone structure) so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE use a harness vs. a collar to walk them! It's very important.  I also have a cat, another dog, 3 horses, 4 rats and 1 mouse.  She gets along great with each, but of course shows a scary interest in the rodents.  She actually plays with the cat (who is bigger then her!) But, in my opinion they're great and I definutly suggest one!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 04:57:53 PM by tb712 »
Brittney & Tom

Offline rapforjane

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ich kam, ich sah, ich siegte
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 05:04:12 PM »
Plan to have it groomed at least every 4 weeks if you want the short clip. Also, you'll need to brush it everday with a slicker brush, and then go over the coat with a metal greyhound comb. Learn to trim its nails, as well, I see a ton of yorkies with incredibly overgrown nails.

They need very firm training, positive reinforcement doesn't always work with them. They'll take advantage of it so fast (but that's pretty much any dog)! haha. Please play with its feet, ears, and face constantly and have houseguests do it as well. I hate being bitten for just trimming the nails. =\

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 01:16:56 PM »
I have a Yorkie!  She will be 4yrs on Christmas Eve.  When you go to pick out your baby make sure you look at both parents temperament!  Also, ask the breeder if either parent has or has had luxating patellas.  Look at her bite too because mine has an underbite.  Everyone else is correct in a Yorkie should weigh 5-7#.  My Laynee weighs 6#15oz & her parents were 4 & 5#. 

Overall, I love her to death.  My father did not want a little dog when my mom decided to get her & now she is his baby!  She is very smart.  Almost too smart- she sits, shakes, lays, & speaks.  She hates being brushed & always has.  She goes to the groomers about every 3 months.  Mine is social to other dogs, but if I bring another dog in the house she starts drooling because she is afraid that someone is going to take her place.  lol

Smaller dog means more teeth cleans.  Laynee started her dentals about a month ago & will have them yearly from then on or as needed.  Smaller dogs start younger on dentals also.

Any other questions I would be happy to answer!  Chels
The Dogs: Macy, Laynee, Roman, Sicili, & Cappy 🐕
The Rats: Astrid,  Imogen,  and Yvaine 🐀
The Cat: Charm, Kitten & foster kittens Mad Hatter & Mad Max!  🐈

So many 4 legged babies are missed.  Alice & Whimsy are the most recent.  ❤