Author Topic: Felt?  (Read 1864 times)

Offline tenili

Felt?
« on: October 12, 2006, 09:21:15 AM »
I know this must be a stupid question, but I wanted to ask before I did it.  Is felt an ok material to use in the rats cage?  I've been ossilating back and forth.  I thought it may be fun to chew on and nest with... is there anything toxic about felt? 

I really have fallen over the edge....into ratsanity!

Thanks!
Tenili

Offline ratsamongus

• Posts Too Much!
  • ~ rats are magic ~
Re: Felt?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 03:20:38 PM »
Felt works fine but does not wash well and it will need washed quickly because it will start to smell "peed" very quickly.  It is relatively inexpensive though.  I use fleece mostly and wash it often :)

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 04:12:49 PM »
Ugh, I wouldn't use felt.  It's very rough, and it doesn't seem like a very absorbent material.  Plus, after a few washings, it starts to get really weird looking/feeling, and would probably get caught on rat nails.

I highly recommend towels and fleece.
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 09:57:55 AM »
I can not see why felt would not work.  I prefer fabrics that hold up to washing better but if you have felt I see no reason for you to not use it.

Offline tenili

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 12:45:50 AM »
If I use felt it I wouldn't bother washing it, I'd just throw it away.  I was trying to think of different types of stuff they might like to chew or shred but then I kept worrying if they would choke on it or if it might be toxic.

Thanks everyone :)

Offline Willard

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 02:58:23 AM »
I use felt for cheap hammocks.  My rats seem to like the felt ones more than the fleece ones.  Maybe cause theyre less stretchy.