Author Topic: "Cavy cages" cage for Cashew! (pics!)  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Svenna

"Cavy cages" cage for Cashew! (pics!)
« on: October 28, 2006, 10:50:19 PM »
After looking on the site www.cavycages.com I decided that making a cage for my lovely little girl would be a better idea than buying one. It was only 20$ for materials and I was able to make it so that it would fit under my bed. (I'm in a dorm, so a traditional cage like a Martin wouldn't work as I have to hide it.) The materials to make this cage were quite easily found, Linens N Things had the wire mesh storage cubes right with all the other storage and organization things. It took about 20 minutes to assemble the cage. I have enough materials left over to add a fourth section which will make the cage a total of 6 cubic feet of space (current space is 4.7 cubic feet), but don't have enough things to hide it with yet. I think that waiting on adding that block may also help if I put it on when I get her a friend by making her not realize it is her old cage.

Right now the cage is pretty bare, and I'm going to look for zip ties to I can use one of the extra panels to make a second level. Do any of you have suggestions on what I can use as a ramp, as cutting the panels isn't really possible? Also, where can I find some decent inexpensive hammocks online? Actually, any suggestions for anything to make her cage more interesting would be most appreciated.

Here are the pics so far:
(Cashew isn't in them because she was napping on the windowsill)

Side view

Top view
The duct tape on the front cube is so that I can easily remove that panel without needing to disassemble the whole thing. I'm going to try to find some better sort of hinged door if I can.

Water bottle and litter bowl. (She scattered the food everywhere, I need to find a good ashtray for a food bowl...)
I use washclothes as bedding, which she likes to tear up. I will be finding some nice plastic to put under the cage soon so that if she goes outside of the litter box it won't make the carpet nasty.

Rolling ball which she uses as a nap place and some chew sticks

Offline Willard

Re: "Cavy cages" cage for Cashew! (pics!)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 02:53:42 AM »
Give her an empty box to nest and hide in, and you can make a hammock out of a scrap of cloth and safety pins.  I sometimes use pieces of felt from walmart for $0.20 each.   Another inexpensive item that all my rats love is various sizes and shapes of PVC connectors from  a hardware store plumbing section.   I get them at Menards or Home Depot and they're only like 2-3 dollars each for the 3" diameter connectors.  Menards also has some nice 4"diameter  ones for only $3 or so that I use for my boys.  You can put them on the floor or suspend them from the ceiling with wire or rope/twine/  My rats all love sleeping in the higher suspended ones.  They also use them for their hide to eat in.

Dollar stores like Dollar Tree are also good sources for cheap rat toys and furniture.  Get plastic baskets to hang from the sides or large bowls or collanders with a hole cut in the side for an igloo.

For your hinged door use zip ties.  Get those at a hardware store electrical dept.  Maybe a binder clip to hold it shut

« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 03:04:42 AM by Willard »

Offline Svenna

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 08:44:03 AM »
Thank you for all the ideas, and I'm going to check around with people on my floor to see if they have any of those cardboard soda cases. I've seen a lot of pics of cages with those in them, and now I finally have a cage to fit it in! I gave her a big disposable coffee cup last night, but it's plastic. I'm going to look for some cardboard ones (we have a Starbucks on campus so it shouldn't be hard) and suspend them until I get a chance to go to a hardware store. (I live in a big city that's a nightmare to drive in and it's about 30 minutes to the nearest shopping plaza. Took 45 minutes to get to Linens N Things for those cubes last night. -_-)

Offline Willard

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 09:33:16 AM »
Good idea, I use the 12 pack "Fridge pack" boxes.  poke a couple holes in the side and zip tie it to the side of the cage,  If I don't do that it ends up all over the place.   My one girl likes to move it to block the stairway doe some reason.  Have to toss it each cleaning day though. 

Offline werecatrising

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 02:36:21 PM »
Wow, that is nice! I have never seen those types of cubes. They are perfect.

Offline ginger_fish

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 04:51:55 PM »
We use those cubes for out rats cages, ours are both 2x2x3, they're about the size of the biggest marshall cage. I think mine are wider

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 04:55:25 PM »
That cage looks a little small.  Considering the fact that those boxes come with quite a few grids in them, why not make it larger for her?
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline ginger_fish

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 06:12:44 PM »
I honestly agree, I used 2 1/2 boxes for each cage and mine only have two in each cage, my cages are both 28x28x42 and I still think they are to small lol

Offline Svenna

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 09:55:59 PM »
I don't have enough room under the bed right now to use the 4 other panels, but will be doing some cleaning (hopefully) this Wednesday. If I can find some coroplast I'll be making the current flooring (covered with fabric!) into a 5th cube. As for bigger than that, I can't go up any levels or bigger floor-space-wise because there simply isnt the room for it. I do intend to make it much bigger eventually, though.

Offline ginger_fish

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 10:18:02 PM »
well you gotta put something in there for the little buddy to do if you're going to keep it tiny...

Offline Svenna

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 10:49:11 PM »
I added a cardboard box for her to hide in this morning, and am going to make a hammock this week. I am concerned about using safety pins. What if they spring open and poke my baby?

Offline Amykins

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 11:09:09 PM »
I added a cardboard box for her to hide in this morning, and am going to make a hammock this week. I am concerned about using safety pins. What if they spring open and poke my baby?

You know, I guess that is always a concern, but I use them and have never had a problem.  Just buy the heavy duty ones that are harder for you to even open and all should be okay. 

Offline ginger_fish

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 11:15:59 PM »
paper clips? you can by the one's wrapped in pvc or plastic, get pvc so they aren't pointy.

Offline anita1216

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Hanging out with the Fraggle Rat gang...
    • Fraggle Rats
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 06:52:29 PM »
Yes, Im sure the rattie would like a bigger cage, but its really not that bad. She could be keeping her in a much smaller cage. I think its quite inventive and creative.

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 08:47:32 PM »
Maybe she'd like a wheel?  You can get them with stands so you dont have to worry about attaching it to the side.   

Offline ginger_fish

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 09:37:05 PM »
A wheel would probably help a great deal

Offline Svenna

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2006, 09:45:43 PM »
I am concerned about noise with a wheel. Anyone know of a quiet or -silent- wheel? The quieter the better, as people come in and out of my room often, and the less noise Cashew makes, the less chance of someone else having to know she's here.

Offline ratlets

• Posts Too Much!
  • Kerfuffle is my heart rat!
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 12:09:26 AM »
I think all wheels will make a bit of noise.  It's a shame :(
Owned by: Bandit, Ushi, Sheepster, & Devil

I'll never forget my Big Boy Kerfuffle, my Scruffy Scruff, & my little Peanut.

Offline Amykins

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2006, 07:56:29 AM »
You could try using vegetable oil in the wheel, that should help cut down on noise.  But, I don't think there is a wheel that makes absolutely no sound. 

Offline ginger_fish

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2006, 08:15:44 AM »
silent spinner and wobust wheel are quietest from what I've seen/heard.