Author Topic: Bleeding after neuter  (Read 3148 times)

Offline Henry and Elizabeth

• Ritten
Bleeding after neuter
« on: November 17, 2006, 04:06:09 PM »
my poor little guy henry just got neutered yesterday. Today my boyfriend happened to need to come home from school to get some books and saw that he was bleeding  (his legs were literally covered) and took him back to the vet. the vet said that it appeared to be a broken blood vessel and that we shouldnt worry but gave us an antibiotic just as a preventative for infection.

now less than 2 hours after we just got home from and hour trip there and back to the vet, henry is biting at it a bit and its bleeding again.
i called the vet and he asked us to take him there and leave him there overnight.
i feel absolutely horrible about leaving him there overnight.

has anyone experienced problems with a neuter like this?
any advice?

also, the vet is worried about it b/c of how small he is (hes a 2 pound himmie.)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 04:12:38 PM by Henry and Elizabeth »

Offline Rose

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rodentia Dementia!
Re: Bleeding after neuter
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 10:28:50 PM »
Did they take the sacs or just tie off or remove the vas deferens?   Seems like the bleeding should have stopped.  If it's a broken blood vessel, they sometimes have the option of cauterizing it.  Also if he is biting at it from the pain, maybe that's what caused the bleeding.

I think they are right to keep him there overnight.    There are pain meds and sleeping meds that they can give him.  Plus if he starts bleeding again, they can take care of it right away.  Two pounds is so small.   

Sorry I don't have much to offer.  Just wanted to send my wishes for his quick recovery.

I just had a stray buck I caught in the park neutered two weeks ago, and his name is also Henry!   Luckily, his surgery went smoothly.
Beware of SARS-Suddenly Acquired Rat Syndrome