Author Topic: Kind of urgent about bloated-looking mouse  (Read 4228 times)

Offline Ktina

• Posts Too Much!
    • My pictures
Kind of urgent about bloated-looking mouse
« on: November 23, 2006, 03:42:23 AM »
I don't know what it is so I'm a bit worried.  My dear Uh-oh seems a bit bloated.  I felt around his stomach and it's not hard, so I have been thinking it was maybe a full bladder since he was peeing on me when I took him out.  But he's been sitting with me here for a while now and he still has the bloated look, almost like he's pregnant (of course he's not, though).  He's acting perfectly normal, in fact, he's grooming himself right now.  The only thing I can think of is that I added Safflower seeds to heir mix, are those fattening enough to do this to him in a day?  I took some pics here they are:
 When bunched up he just looks fat, but when his body extends it's more like a bloat.  I don't think fat is supposed to look like this.

A top veiw while bunched up

Extended:

Also, he's missing a patch of hair on his head and there looks to be a scab there, could this be ear mites?  My poor dear.  :(

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
Re: Kind of urgent about bloated-looking mouse
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 06:35:51 AM »
 Maybe it is gas? Or he got into something that would cause a bit of bloating. Could be a tumor on the inside, but really it looks like it could be gas or an impaction. Is he pooping?

The scab could be mites or lice.

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline Eileen

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Be nice to someone today!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 08:44:05 AM »
I am assuming this came on suddenly? Poor Uh-oh does look a bit uncomfortable.
If you think it is gas, you might try simethocome  for infants. I used it with an opossum I was rehabbing & it worked. Plus it's mild.
You can get it in any pharmacy and it is not expensive.
Gulliver's Travels  may be over, but they will never be forgotten..

Offline Ktina

• Posts Too Much!
    • My pictures
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 12:52:20 PM »
Yes, he is pooping normally (which he showed me on my desk  ::)).  He still looks bloated this morning, so I don't think it's gas because wouldn't it go away with some walking around?  The only thing I've given him lately has been his mix and a bit of dehydrated papya (sp?), which he still hasn't ate all of yet.

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 02:55:46 PM »
I don't think it's gas because wouldn't it go away with some walking around? 

Not necessarily.
If you have gas bad enough it can take couple weeks or so before it goes away on its own. . .
~Ruthie
"Fear is the opposite of faith." -Susan W. Tanner
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org

Offline Ktina

• Posts Too Much!
    • My pictures
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 08:58:11 PM »
Ok, I bought some simethocome, but my question is, how much do I give him?

Offline Eileen

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Be nice to someone today!
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 09:21:39 PM »
What does it say on the bottle? For a mouse, it'll be a very small amount. Do you have a syringe? I would do it at a 10% diluted solution, so:
Pull up .01 (not .10 - .01, the first line) - then you can add .09 water. Pull back the plunger and mix it up, & give him .01 of that to start with & see how that goes.
This is just an estimate - read the  bottle & see if they have a dose on the bottle.
Gulliver's Travels  may be over, but they will never be forgotten..

Offline Sheri

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 10:53:48 PM »
I was just reading the rat guide to help you out, it is possible he is having an allergic reaction, patch hair loss from eczema (allergic reaction) and bloating happens in allergic reactions just like a human you said you started added papaya to his mix,also too much protein from nuts may cause problems too. Stop what you have added in the last few days go back to his normal diet and see if that helps.

http://ratguide.com/health/integumentary_skin/food_allergies.php
" A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, a great deal of it is absolutely fatal." -Oscar Wilde

Offline Ktina

• Posts Too Much!
    • My pictures
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 12:27:22 AM »
Ok, the bottle says to give children under 24lbs 0.3 ml.  So I'm no good at dosing and will let you guys figure it out.  :P

Thanks for the link, weesherilee, but I was just looking over Uh-oh and found lice.  :(  So I'll have to see if my vets open tomarrow and get them all in.

Offline Sheri

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 10:51:12 AM »
Poor little mousy, I would still change his diet back to what it was until you figure it out, just in case. Allergies can make someone bloat. I hope he gets back to normal soon.
" A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, a great deal of it is absolutely fatal." -Oscar Wilde