Author Topic: Rat room redo : New pics page 3.  (Read 11060 times)

Offline DolciLady

• Posts Too Much!!
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rattie slave and lovin every minute of it!
Rat room redo : New pics page 3.
« on: December 03, 2006, 09:27:28 PM »
Howdy.  I hate my rat room.  I just painted this, by hand I want you to know, last December.  But I want to totally revamp the room, from wall color to furniture, to stuff for the ratties.  Four rats.  Five hamster cages.  (The big Coast cage holds a hamster, spoiled girl!)

In the room pics, I had moved the boys' current cage out into the living room for a few days so I could roll it onto the back patio for fresh air when the weather cooled off a bit.  That's why you don't see their cage in the room.

Here are some recent pics of the entire room (it's been cleaned up since then, but the furniture and hamster cages are all in the same configuration.)

The entrance to the room.

Once in:

Looking toward the left:

This is their current cage  (36x25x62.5)

This is their old cage that is going to be put back in the room (32x20x67)

I want to remove the huge metal desk.  I may move the hamsters to the other guest room, but that would kill my mom when she sleeps over because she has bad lungs and cannot stand any animals in "her" room, so I'm not sure about moving them or not.  I want to add a full sized bed so I can really relax in the rat room with the boys.  Let them free range overnight and me sleep in their when they get to do that.  (Hubby won't let them in our room, so I need to make this rat room my own little get-away place). 

The bedding looks like this (which is why I have to repaint the room...AGAIN):

1.  What colors do you think I should paint the walls?  I am NOT afraid of bold colors, believe me.
2.  Any suggestions for different furniture or permanent rat fixtures (to climb or play on)?
3.  Any suggestions on where to put all this stuff?

Throw out your ideas.   I'll take photos when it's all done.  This is gonna be a lot of work, but lots of fun.

Thanks!
Robin

« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 02:52:26 PM by DolciLady »
SugarBaby...my heart rat    The sweetest love I've ever known.

Offline Rat fan

Re: Help me redo my rat room!! (pics)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 09:57:11 PM »
Cat posts are really fun for rats so I've heard. The boys would probably love to take a nice little nap in there. A wine rack perhaps for climbing?

About the colors a nice green would look really cool in that room. Perhaps with a little sky blue or something. Also if your budget permits it a nice TV for the room so it can really be your get away.  :BlueDumboSmileTongue:
Proud rattie dad of Cookie and Roxanne!

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 09:57:43 PM »
Uhmmm well, if you change colors, will you keep the lime green leopard hammocks?   Hahahaha I had to ask!!

Personally, I love how it looks now!!  Silly woman.   What does Sugarbaby have to say?  Have him help pick things out, start showing him magazines!

Offline DolciLady

• Posts Too Much!!
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 10:15:08 PM »
You mean paint it like the other (smaller) guest room?  This used to be their room but I thought they deserved the bigger room.  hahaha  Can you tell I love blues and greens?  Funny how that's the only colors rats can see (they can't see reds).  This bed is going into the rat room, with the new duvet cover on it.

SugarBaby says he's damn bored with so much floor space and he misses us playing on the bed in the other room.  My other boys freeze up when I haul them into the other room and refuse to play.  That's why I want to move the bed into their room so they will feel more secure in their own environment, and maybe I can snuggle with them, too!  And Mommy has a hard time getting in the floor, hurts to stay down there long, and getting back up is murder.  So, a bed has to go in there (or a couch, but I prefer a bed).  Already a TV in the rat room, but I may swap it for the larger one that's in the smaller room.

I was thinking painting the walls a bold apple green and royal blue.  Maybe with a purple chair rail.  And those lime leopard hammocks are much treasured, they really spruce up that boring Ferret Nation cage.  Blah!

Robin

« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 10:17:28 PM by DolciLady »

Offline AneesasMuse

• Posts Too Much!
  • The Poodah Pack!!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 11:00:12 PM »
I say, a nice lighter version of the green in the duvet... on the top of the wall. Then a funky purple chair rail part in the middle... kind of grape'y periwinkle? And a darker periwinkle, leaning more toward blue, at the base or bottom. It will keep with your love for blues and greens, the hammies will still match, and the boys will be able to see the magnificent job that Mommy/Rattie Interior Designer did for them, once again!

...spoiled ratties! Now, I wanna paint the whole darn room!! Heh!

Offline Kimmiekins

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rattie Lovin'
    • Rattie Love Rescue
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 12:59:46 AM »
Personally, instead of cat trees, I'd go for the newer ferret-sized "trees" like these:

http://www.ferretdepot.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=2catFerretFurniture

:heart: Cat trees work with mods, but these are just the right size.  :BlueDumboSmile:

I think AneesasMuse has great ideas for colors. :D
Owner of Rattie Love Rescue in Cincinnati, Ohio
We serve the Tri-State Area (Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana) & beyond
Petfinder | Gift Shop

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 05:13:24 PM »
Personally, instead of cat trees, I'd go for the newer ferret-sized "trees" like these:

http://www.ferretdepot.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=2catFerretFurniture

:heart: Cat trees work with mods, but these are just the right size.  :BlueDumboSmile:

I think AneesasMuse has great ideas for colors. :D

I agree!  I was sooo excited to see the ferret trees in pet smart a month ago.  I *think* my friends might be getting one for me for christmas  :hyper:

I also like AneesasMuse's choice of colors.  That duvet is so purdy :)

Offline tb712

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 05:25:17 PM »
I think the walls would look totally cool if:

The colors on the bedding were somehow turned into a plaid pattern on the wall.  I know it sounds really confusing and a lot of work, but it would be so awsome looking!!

Good luck and I'll write more if I think of anything!
Brittney & Tom

Offline Rat fan

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 06:16:31 PM »
Yeah DolciLady that would look great a room similar to your guest room. That room looks really neat and cool. Maybe a bit darker green to really give it that comfortable feel.
Proud rattie dad of Cookie and Roxanne!

Offline KittyRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • I Believe
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 12:00:48 PM »
our Target "dollar spot" had a cat tent-we bought them for our ferrets & rat. The birds seemed to like them too. Can't go wrong for a buck.
Rats: RIP~Makani Pokani,Cloud,Janis,Rooster,Sphinx,Lily&June
And welcome home Maverick & Goose
Dogs: Lexi & Akima
4 doves Paloma, Gwen, Beau & Breeze

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 01:24:31 AM »
I actually used to have that duvet cover -- the one you want on your bed in the rat room.  I really hated it.  In fact, if you want, I can just send you my set (full size with two big pillow covers) for $10 + shipping, since I only used it for two days, washed it, then put it in a closet.  I guess I'm just used to lighter-colored bedding or something, since it seemed like with that duvet cover, you could see any hair/dust.
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline DolciLady

• Posts Too Much!!
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 01:51:47 AM »
I already have that set.  I sure wish I'da known you had it before I got if off Ebay!  hehe  Just put it on the bed a week ago.

I'll PM you shortly.  :)

Robin

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 04:04:40 AM »
If that were my room... I'd paint the walls a pretty blue/turqoise color and then paint tons of differently sized circles everywhere, in lots of different hues of blue and green  :)

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 06:20:07 AM »
*squela* I.. Want.. That.. Duvet!!!! AHH! All of my favorite colors.. right there! Ugh! Why did I have to go with perewinkle and white for my room? WHY?!?

Robin, love, I'm totally feeling that navy from the duvet for the lower half, with the lighter lime for the top half. If you wanna get *really* creative, get some painter's tape and paint that funky purple [or the darker lime!!!] in thick and thin stripes on the navy portion. It'd really Pop! on such a dark background. Oh! Oh OH! You could be all artsy like SoA, and do the stripe thingie, and then get the third contrast color and do the shape things in a wash.. Ohh! I tell ya what, I'm gonna quit my job, and I'll come down there and paint your room for you! I :heart: DIY..

And thing like the Target cat trent would already go in the room.. And as for the 'ferret' tree.. I bought one from PetSmart for $29 and I feel a bit jipped. I could have made my own [or bought a huge one] that has more options than a few 'mouse' holes for fun. Check out Steps for Pets for a cat tree if you wanna go that route. I've heard they're wonderful to work with, and they've got better prices than most stores.

Mac, Pen, Tully [and Wiz and Socs the cats!] will come down for the official grand opening of the room, of course!

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 06:38:30 AM »
Yeah, what javakittie said!  Just copy my room  ;)  You can see my stripes in this picture.  I always use Disney paints by Behr because they're the brightest.  Plus, they have awesome names  ;D  My green color was Tinkerbell, but I can't remember what the blue was.

Oorr you could just do something completely impromptu like what I did with BunBun's room!

« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 06:42:04 AM by SuccubusOfAngels »

Offline DolciLady

• Posts Too Much!!
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 01:07:20 PM »
As the middle-aged lady was shaking down the last can of paint, I said, "Now, do you want to know what room all this is for?"  She said indeed she did because of all the bright blue and green colors.  I said, "My rat room."

:shocked2: was her expression.  Then she started asking lots of questions.

So we got to chatting about "fancy" rats, colors, markings, personalities and such and then another employee came up to join in.  They were very open and interested, and amazed.  Yay!!!  I had a lot of fun quickly giving lots of praise and info. 

She told me she'd had a big fruit rat get into her garage and had such a hard time removing him.  I told her that they were basically the same rat.  But these guys in the fancy were domesticated and color/marking mutations were what a big difference was (besides temperament).  Told her fancy rats were like "puppies in a cage" and were SO much fun!

Now while I don't see them running out to buy pet rats, I thoroughly enjoyed myself, walked out of the store grinning from ear to ear.  And I'm sure they'll have a good time talking about fancy rats and "this crazy lady painting a RAT room" to other people today.   :yelcutelaugh:

I plan on going back in with pictures of the room (and the boys, of course) when it's all done. 

So, $226 worth of paint and supplies later, it's time to start clearing the room out.  This was Derek's expression   :shocked2:  I won't repeat what he said since this is a family forum.  LOL

All I want for Christmas is a new rat room.  I've been a good girl this year.
Robin

Offline ratlets

• Posts Too Much!
  • Kerfuffle is my heart rat!
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 04:57:07 PM »
I'd like to recommend a bed that sits on the floor if you have a hard time getting ratties to go back home!  I'm thinking about getting one that has like a wood base (to cover the box-spring) so my girls will stop getting under the bed, climbing between the mattress and the wall, and chewing up the mattress and sheets! lol  The sheets might still get eaten, but I won't have to worry about anyone getting in the box-spring or mattress or refusing to come out from under the bed!
Owned by: Bandit, Ushi, Sheepster, & Devil

I'll never forget my Big Boy Kerfuffle, my Scruffy Scruff, & my little Peanut.

Offline DolciLady

• Posts Too Much!!
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 05:03:16 PM »
If someone won't come out from under the bed, then I'll just have to sleep in there with them, won't I?  See my plan?   :cheeky:  Hubby doesn't want rats in our room, so I gotta go to theirs.  *snickers*

Robin

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 09:01:57 PM »
Nice, SoA.. A liiiitle too pastel-ie for me, but nice none the less.. I was thinking something a little more random with the stripes, though. Whatever you like, though, Robin!

I wish I had room, period. The rats get free time in my mother's bathroom [the larger bathroom] and their cages are sorta thrown on top of tables and shelving units. My poor bebes.. One day, I shall give them a room of their very own!

ps.. One should not type out long winded excited posts about painting and ideas for painting before they have finished their first cup of coffee in the morning. Ugh, I didn't know I could type that badly!

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 09:01:55 AM »
A liiiitle too pastel-ie for me

*GASP*  :angry5:

I like my room!  It's like a retarded carnival tent.  At first I wanted to have the stripes pink and orange, and have the WHOLE room done in it.  It definitely would have looked like a carnival tent then.

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2006, 09:07:00 AM »
 :yelcutelaugh: I'm sure you lub your room verra much! I would just be a mental patient after being in there for any length of time. This is coming from the same person that asked why the paint called 'Sunlight' in the den didn't have a forecast that called for partially to mostly cloudy. I swear, that bright 'sunny' room made me even more grumpy in the morning. Entirely too cheerful to deal with at 6am!

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 09:10:51 AM »
See now, I think pastels and bright colors are the best.  They just perk everything up and make things look crisp and clean.  I despise darker colors, since, well... they're all dark 'n stuff.  I needs me an insanely happy room by way of paint.  I'm just sad there isn't more PINK!  ....I wonder how much a can of paint costs  :cheeky:

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 09:17:41 AM »
See, I like bright colors.. That duvet just really does it for me, with the darker and medium blues with the bright lime. I  :heart: that combo as much as blues and browns. I like them to be fully saturated with a good contrast. Makes them all the brighter!

Great.. now I wanna do my room in that color scheme.. Argh! Robin! I'm totally blaming you for my DIY ocd this year!

Offline JulesMichy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 02:21:17 PM »
See now, I think pastels and bright colors are the best.  They just perk everything up and make things look crisp and clean.  I despise darker colors, since, well... they're all dark 'n stuff.  I needs me an insanely happy room by way of paint.

Heh, you'd love my bedroom back home, then. My mom jokes that it looks like Superman threw up all over the walls. I love bold, rich colors - like primary colors and jewel tones. My bedroom is in four shades: fire engine red, goldenrod yellow, blue and royal blue. I did layers of color on three of the walls, and then painted one whole wall blue with the lighter royal blue sponged over it. I freakin' LOVE it! I'd wake up to the bright colors and was instantly awake, instead of wanting to roll over and go back to sleep.

I misses it.  :'(

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 02:43:02 PM »
I officially do not reccomend the 'ferret' trees.. I'm gonna write up a review here in a minute. Horribly disappointed for something I paid $30 for..  :angry1:

It's good if you don't mind bare cardboard on the inside that I'm sure will be *wonderful* when the girls manage to pee on it, carpet that comes out in tufts on the inside [from me adjusting things, not the rats..] plus the holes in the top/between levels are all in a straight line. We had an Oops today when Mac got all excited and promptly fell from the top and through a couple of levels to the base. I had a small heart attack.