Author Topic: Xylitol- potentially lethal sugar substitute!  (Read 1357 times)

Offline BaraLahatiel

  • Posts Too Much!
  • *****
  • Posts: 1918
  • Rodere Rattery and Rescue
    • Rodere Rattery
Xylitol- potentially lethal sugar substitute!
« on: January 08, 2007, 11:31:28 PM »
In the December issue of Veternary Medicine, there appears an article about xylitol, an artificial sweetener that can be lethal to dogs.

It has been found that dogs can have a serious reaction to xylitol. It affected dogs of varying ages, backgrounds, sizes, and breeds in a wide range of ingestion. Xylitol can also be found in some cupcakes, cookies, and gum. 8 dogs were found to have accidently ingested xylitol and all had severe symptoms. 5 of those 8 were euthanized or died because of liver failure due to their exposure to the artificial sweetener.

In humans, mice, and rats it will cause diarrhea, but no other abnormalities. However, it is a very different story in dogs.

Quoted from article:
Quote
Recently, the ASPCA APCC has had reports of some dogs developing elavated liver enzyme activity within 12-24 hours after xylitol ingestion. Several of these dogdeveloped acute liver failure subsequent to xylitol exposure. In a case report on liver failure following xylitol ingestion in 8 dogs, six of 8 did not appear to develope hypoglycemia before the onset of the liver failure. Instead, lethargy and vomiting developed 9 to 72 hours after exposure. Coagulopathy, characterized by prolonged clotting times and petechial, ecchymotic, and gastrointestina hemorrhages, was also present in dogs.

Doses of > 0.5 g/kg of xylitol may be hepatotoxic.

The prognosis for uncomplicated hypoglycemia is good with prompt treatment. Mild increas enzyme activities usually resolve within a few days with supportive care. On the other hand, if severe elevation of liver enzyme activities, hyperbilirubinemia, and coagulopathy develope, the prognosis is guarded to poor. In addtion, hyperphosphatemia appears to be a poof prognostic indicator.

Because of the potential for repit onset of signs, treatment should be institu in all cases in which a dog may have ingested > 0.1 g/kg of xylitol.
Our first litter was born March 25th, 2008!!

Offline Marybelle

  • Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • *****
  • Posts: 25657
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Xylitol- potentially lethal sugar substitute!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 11:50:32 AM »
Check your toothpaste, too.  I  know that mine has xylitol in it.

Offline Heather

  • Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • *
  • Posts: 5399
Re: Xylitol- potentially lethal sugar substitute!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 05:27:15 PM »
Thank goodness the large pack of Extra gum Amos ate didn't have xylitol in it!