Author Topic: Where do you get your Oxbow Hay????  (Read 32481 times)

Offline rattastic725

• Myspace
Where do you get your Oxbow Hay????
« on: January 19, 2007, 08:43:31 AM »
So the little places around here that sell the hay have prices much higher then online but online the shipping costs almost as much as the hay... What to do???   Where do all you oxbow feeding animal parents get your oxbow hay?  Also, has anyone tried their hay cakes... i think they would do wonders for my allergies... :)

Offline menagerie

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Where do you get your Oxbow Hay????
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 01:32:58 PM »
Look in the phone book for a feed store near you. Hay will be much cheaper and fresher. I recently had 90 lbs of hay shipped from Kleenmama'sfor the chinchillas. Shipping is expensive, but her hay is wonderful and the chins absolutely love it.

As far as switching to hay cakes, I wouldn't do it. Rabbits need to chew loose hay for their teeth as well as digestion. They eat hay cakes using their front rather than back teeth, which can cause tooth problems down the road. If you're allergic to the hay, try a different kind. I'm fine with Timothy, but allergic to oat hay. A friend of mine is allergic to Timothy but fine with all other hays.  If it's Timothy you're allergic to, you can substitute orchard hay/grass or brome.
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it.  ~ Margaret Fuller

Offline SarahD

• EARPS Exotic Animal Rescue and Pet Sanctuary
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 10:15:05 AM »
As far as switching to hay cakes, I wouldn't do it. Rabbits need to chew loose hay for their teeth as well as digestion. They eat hay cakes using their front rather than back teeth, which can cause tooth problems down the road. If you're allergic to the hay, try a different kind. I'm fine with Timothy, but allergic to oat hay. A friend of mine is allergic to Timothy but fine with all other hays.  If it's Timothy you're allergic to, you can substitute orchard hay/grass or brome.

I agree.  Also, check with an exotic animal veterinarian in your area.  The clinic I work for sells oxbow products and can get clients the 50 lb boxes of hay for cheaper than what it would cost them to purchase online.
mom of 7 rats
RVT at an all exotic specialty clinic
Founder of EARPS, Inc.

Offline rattastic725

• Myspace
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 07:31:43 PM »
I had one of the local pet stores order a 50lb box of timothy for the bunnies and pigs plus some cavy performance and vitamin c tablets for my pigs

Thanks for the help!

Offline manicmantis

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 01:42:57 PM »
I buy Timothy hay and sometimes Orchard Grass by the bale for our 3 buns - MUCH MUCH cheaper, and great hay.  Look for a feed store near you :)

I can buy a 60 lb bale for about $8 or an 80 lb bale for $25....the Oxbow hay where I live is about $40 for 15 lbs or something like that  :eek: 

Our buns have always loved baled hay; just make sure it's been stored well (kept from the elements and whatnot).

Offline SarahD

• EARPS Exotic Animal Rescue and Pet Sanctuary
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 09:24:27 AM »
Some Oxbow products are now being sold at Petsmart and Pet Supplies Plus depending on region.
mom of 7 rats
RVT at an all exotic specialty clinic
Founder of EARPS, Inc.

Offline KeepersPlay

• Posts Too Much!
  • YES I'M GONNA be a starr
    • KeepersPlay Myspace Page
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 02:34:11 PM »
I live in CT and there's a place close by that sells Oxbow EVERYTHING so if you want to pay for it w/ shipping I can get some prices for you. Just let me know :)

Offline pancakeseatsoup

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 10:19:58 PM »
I know you said shipping costs are too high (and that is true) but just in case: www.martinscages.com has a section with food or treats or something and I believe they sell oxbow.

Offline Lady_Penrhyn

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 06:10:53 AM »
Sorry for dragging up an old topic but I was itching to respond to this.

The best way to figure out prices is to break it down to 'per pound'

I'll use the Oxbow Timothy Hay (PetSmart Online Price)
The 40 ounce bag is $9.99 40 ounces is 2.5 pounds so lets make that $3.99 per pound for the Oxbow Timothy Hay

Lets flip over to KM's Hayloft (http://www.kmshayloft.com/catalog/)
5 pounds (the smallest box they sell) 3rd cut timothy hay is $7.00, that's 70c per pound.  So even if it costs $3.20 per pound to ship (highly unlikely) you will save money by purchasing at KM'sHayloft.

Oxbow is expensive, and there products are very good.  KM's are better.  And they are cheaper than Oxbow.

Also, for Allergies, consider using Bermuda Hay. 

5 mice: Janet, Sam, Cassie, Vala + Jennifer
4 Guinea Pigs: Josephine, Caramel, Frank + Josef
1 Elephant/Guinea Pig/Basenji/Fox Terrier: Kara (sounds like an Elephant, eats Oxbow Pellets...strange creature!)