Author Topic: 'Only Cats'  (Read 1784 times)

Offline kookysprite

• Ritten
'Only Cats'
« on: January 24, 2007, 11:51:06 AM »
My cat Ernie has been an 'only child' for almost 4 years. When we took him home 10 1/2 years ago we had an older female who attacked him immediately. As an adult he grew into a bully (maybe to protect himself?) and the two cats fought relentlessly. I was 6 when we took him home and so couldn't really have made sure the cats were introduced on neutral territory. I wish now I'd been older  :-\.
The older cat sadly died of stomach cancer at 14, and Ernie went mad. He would run around the house looking for her, all confused. Soon he realised she wasn't coming back, but he's been quite manic being the only pet in the house ever since.

Well, what I want to know is, are cats happy to be the only pet? Mine seems quite anxious and attention-seeking lately, and although there is no chance of getting my parents to agree to get another cat, is it fair for them to be completely alone for several hours a day?

(Not that I'm suggesting just getting a friend for him without thinking anything through xD).

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Re: 'Only Cats'
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 01:53:06 AM »
they can be fine as a single cat.  a few hours isn't much, cats take naps often and their schedule is often adjusted to when we are around, or up etc.

Offline VegetarianPetLuvR

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 07:18:16 PM »
Personally, after seeing the difference in my own experienced with single vs not-single cats, I will never keep lone cats again.

But it sounds like, in your situation, getting another friend for him isn't likely to go over too easily. He will be fine living on his own...if, of course, it's possible for you to adopt another cat and make sure he gets along with it first, that would be better.

Offline RKEM

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 04:29:54 PM »
If another cat is not a possiblity, something as simple as a fishtank can do wonders. Now I don't suggest you get pets on a whim but if it is a possiblity, it can really entertain cats. I know Wendigo watches "rat tv" very intently for hours on end ... even moreso now that I have hyper babies.