Author Topic: rats and strep throat  (Read 1615 times)

Offline August

rats and strep throat
« on: February 03, 2007, 02:04:28 AM »
I'm sure I've read somewhere that rats can catch strep throat from us, well today I suddenly came down with a horrid sore throat. Just incase it is strep how careful do I need to be with the rats? Can I hold them? Feed them? Is it okay for their cages to stay in my bedroom? Or should I stay as far away from them as possible until I feel better? Has anyone ever had a rat get strep throat from them, is there even a way to tell? I am a very worried mama!
Jennifer ~
Girlie rats: Totoro, Catbus, and Totoro's surprise 11 babies!

Offline mxbassrocker

Re: rats and strep throat
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 03:44:20 AM »
oh wow. well read my last post about Noisy rats.. this ladY I think it was she said she thinkgs she heard that they can catch it.. welll Ive had it since Tuesday though I dont handle htem often, my boyfriend does, but I hope they dont get it :(
3 girls, Turbo, Snowflake and Silvia

Offline Lise

• Posts Too Much!
  • Animal Crazed
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 04:46:46 AM »
Common misconception for a long time... but no you can't give your rat strep throat.

From the rat fan club http://www.ratfanclub.org/resp.html :

"Another common bacteria that can cause respiratory disease in rats is Streptococcus pneumoniae. This is not the same organism that causes strep throat in humans so you donít have to worry about giving strep to your rats, or getting it from them. "

The species that gives humans strep throat is from a totally different "line" I suppose you could say, Streptococcus pyogenes.
|| Lise ||

The Boy: Simon  The Girls: Arizona | Karma | Pepper | Penelope 

& Always Remembered: Molly, Nora, Tevy, Lucy, Guinness, Seagram, Pixie, Cleopatra, Skye, Bella, Juno, Sasha, Gibson

Offline gem_max

• Posts Too Much!
  • picaRAT!
    • g3mo.com
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 04:53:22 AM »
Haha you beat me to it lise! But yep that article was a big relief for me when I got tonsilitis/strep back in October when I got Pseudo and Oreo. I didn't want to miss out on bonding with my new boys!

Did we manage to post it in the noiset rat thread at the same time or did I get you there :P

My Pokemons attack with shirt tug, power groom and pee dribble.

Offline Vibrissa

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 09:02:42 AM »
A long time ago when my children were young and I was consumed with raising them and taking care of the home, I was a pet store with my sister-in-law when they showed us this cage with two mice --a male and a female--and told us they had been together (now I don't remember how long--and at that time I didn't know they only live about a year) and she made this little ratcheting sound all the time.  They said she had always done this and wasn't really sick from it--but for some reason never got pregnant.  We couldn't resist (and my sister-in-law was living with us), so we bought them.  We named them Mr. and Mrs. Ratchet (because of the noise she made)--I didn't know how to do research (or there wasn't much at the time) on the computer, so I had just taken the pet shop people's word (I am soooo much wiser than that now)--The mice were so tame, especially Mrs. Ratchet.  After a month or so, Mr. Ratchet got sick.  I went to the vet for him and they gave me an antibiotic for him.  One day we found him dead and Mrs. Ratchet had eaten one eye and one ear (now I know why--then we thought ewwww).  Then the vet told me that a lot of times mice carry strep throat without having it--and that she gave it to Mr. Ratchet.  And I mentioned that since we had had her, our whole family kept getting strep throat (and we usually NEVER had it even with the kids in public elem. school).  He said that was where we were getting it and the best thing to do was put her to sleep (death).  Being younger and ignorant, I think, I followed his advice too.  Now this and many many other reasons and some events are why I don't take anyone's word--I read and read and read and talk to lots of people who have the animals and try to find out the REAL stuff.

Offline August

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 01:48:57 PM »
Thanks so much! I was wondering how if that was the case none of my previous rats ended up getting it, since I used to get it every year when I was younger. It's funny that this is common knowledge that they can't get it here when I'm a member of another rattie website & it is widely considered that they can.
Jennifer ~
Girlie rats: Totoro, Catbus, and Totoro's surprise 11 babies!

Offline Godmother

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 02:15:15 PM »
Vibrissa, you said that "Mrs. Ratchet had eaten one eye and one ear (now I know why--then we thought ewwww).  "

I don't know why. Could you please enlighten me?
Godmother to many wonderful ratties, mama to 12 of my own.

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 04:23:11 PM »
Vibrissa, you said that "Mrs. Ratchet had eaten one eye and one ear (now I know why--then we thought ewwww).  "

I don't know why. Could you please enlighten me?

In the wild, a dead animal in the rat colony would attract predators, so the colony will often consume the body to keep predators away. Rat in captivity are still hard-wired to do this even though WE know no predators will harm them. It doesn't happen very often when a domestic rat dies in the cage, but does happen occasionally. We like to refer to is as an "honorable ratty burial."

Offline Godmother

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 10:44:38 PM »
Interesting! Must be awfully upsetting, though. Guess there's no accounting for why they'd start with an ear and an eye, but I can see why it would make sense for a wild animal to get rid of the body somehow.
Godmother to many wonderful ratties, mama to 12 of my own.

Offline gem_max

• Posts Too Much!
  • picaRAT!
    • g3mo.com
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 01:43:24 AM »
I know. I got a little scared when I first read it can happen, but then I thought in a way when it does happen you can be a proud ratty owner that your cagemates are that well bonded that they want to protect each other... if that makes sense. Best if it doesn't happen of course, but consilation if it does.

Back on topic... how's the throat and the rat-bums?

My Pokemons attack with shirt tug, power groom and pee dribble.

Offline Vibrissa

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 10:18:01 AM »
Wellll, in answer to why an ear and an eye---my husband readily answered with --because Mrs. Ratchet said, "You NEVER listened to anything I said, and you NEVER looked me in the eye when I was talking to you!"  Something to that affect!