Author Topic: Homemade items  (Read 1788 times)

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Homemade items
« on: February 14, 2007, 08:04:02 PM »
I remember when I came here people used to help people out a lot more with ideas of what homemade items they could make - different kinds of hammocks etc.  It seems lately if anyone asks for ideas they are directed to where to buy hammocks, or rat bed etc from other members. 

I really think it's great that people want to make things for their rats themselves, and used to really like it that people would help them with ideas.  Not everyone has the option of buying things online, and a lot of things people can make cheaper at home and not have to pay for shipping. 

I understand fear of people stealing patterns, and selling, but making for their own personal use is not as big of a deal.  If people want to protect their ideas they need to trademark them etc - and most of them other people are doing and selling on ebay or different sites already.  I wanted to point out too that the best way to learn to make something is to get the item and take a look at it and learn how it was put together, so even just reglar pictures people can get the pattern off of. 

I just wish people were still more willing to help others so that more rats could benefit rather than being so worried people will steal their ideas.

Offline Dori

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Me and my best guy!
    • Safe Haven Humane Society
Re: Homemade items
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 08:23:16 PM »
I remember when I came here people used to help people out a lot more with ideas of what homemade items they could make - different kinds of hammocks etc.  It seems lately if anyone asks for ideas they are directed to where to buy hammocks, or rat bed etc from other members. 

I really think it's great that people want to make things for their rats themselves, and used to really like it that people would help them with ideas.  Not everyone has the option of buying things online, and a lot of things people can make cheaper at home and not have to pay for shipping. 

I understand fear of people stealing patterns, and selling, but making for their own personal use is not as big of a deal.  If people want to protect their ideas they need to trademark them etc - and most of them other people are doing and selling on ebay or different sites already.  I wanted to point out too that the best way to learn to make something is to get the item and take a look at it and learn how it was put together, so even just reglar pictures people can get the pattern off of. 

I just wish people were still more willing to help others so that more rats could benefit rather than being so worried people will steal their ideas.

I believe this is an example of American capitalism in its finest.

Offline OldsGal

• Posts Too Much!
  • You Always Widdle On The One You Love
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 08:56:12 PM »
Well hmm let's see.  Why do people make their hammocks or other hommade goods and not share the secret to how they are done.  Well because it is their right to do that.  I don't think that most of the makers of rattie goods on RR are out there doing this to make a huge profit.  Most of the people who sell there products donate a huge portion if not all of their profits to Rat Rescues.  I know one such person who donated $10,000 last year alone.  So please don't make what they are doing out to be some evil thing.  And my next question is why would you post something so negative like this just to stir up a bunch of unnecessary drama?  If you don't want to support the people on here to are selling their wares then that is fine.  Don't buy from them.  If you want to know how to make a hammock or any other thing on here then by all means make a post asking for advice.  I am sure a bunch of crafty people will jump in and tell you how to make one.  Next question.  Would you go to a clothing designer and ask them how they made a garmet cuz you want to make one just like it?  No you wouldn't.  Would you go to a restruant and ask them for how they make their award winning BBQ sauce cuz you want to make some at home?  No you wouldn't.  Same principal.

Just my 2 Cents.

Staci
Treat everyday like a dog would.  If you can't eat it or chew on it then pee on it and walk away!

Offline DolciLady

• Posts Too Much!!
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rattie slave and lovin every minute of it!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 09:02:27 PM »
Do you EVER have anything nice to say?  Does it physically hurt to smile?  I thought maybe this post had ideas to share, but I shoulda known better when I saw who the author was.  Try spreading some instead of .  That's a better way to improve the forum you seem to loathe and make this a happier place.

SugarBaby...my heart rat    The sweetest love I've ever known.

Offline Dori

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Me and my best guy!
    • Safe Haven Humane Society
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 09:04:09 PM »
Here is a link to a website that give detailed directions on making a hammock. Unfortunately albeit I bought a new sewing machine I am still sewing impaired so I won't be making one any time soon.  ???  http://www.neferrets.org/hammock.htm

Offline Bratratbeds

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • The furry children own my pocketbook...
    • Brat Rat Beds
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 09:20:55 PM »
I can answer this question real easy for you. I as a quilt designer and hammock designer and seller put hours of thought and work in *MY* products.  I am no different (albeit on a **MUCH** smaller scale) than Microsoft.  My ideas are just that MY ideas.  I work very hard to keep my designs from crossing someone else's designs.  When I design a quilt it takes upward of 6-10 hours to just design the layout and color it perfectly and I account for that time in the pricing of my items.  And like Pie, Wonderwodent  and so on I donate to rescues (I don't advertise that I do and many don't know I do but that is by my choosing to not make a big deal of it.) and if I were to give away my designs just because you or anyone else ask then I would no longer be able to support the rescues I currently help out due to lack of business.  I do not ask you to give away your Avon so please understand that I will not give away my designs be they hammocks or quilts as they are my products.
"Success is not an entitlement, it must be earned"  Howard Shultz, Chairman Starbucks
"Affordable beds for your furry children."
www.bratratbeds.com
"Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are somebody's going to get hurt." Alton Brown

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 09:26:11 PM »
I had this really long, drawn out post about how people have helped others with making hammocks, pointing them to different websites that gave detailed instructions on making certain things, advising to do searches of the internet, etc.. Then I stopped and reread what you posted. There is nothing to it about 'the good ol' days,' but a negative put down and attack against those who sell items on here, and how it doesn't fit what you think should be happening.

Some of the people on here donate a portion, if not all, profits of their sales to rescues who desperately need those funds to house the rats in their care. Not their own personal rats, but those who desperately need surgeries, meds, food, and bedding. How would you feel if someone came along and just decided to take money from your animals? Would you gladly give it up with a smile? I somehow doubt that. So why should these people? And why do you feel that they should?

You want to know how to make a simple hammock? Do a web search. Be creative. Want to help a rescue? Then buy it from someone else.

Offline KayRatz

• The Chronicles of Cap'n Zinc and 1st Mate Klardae!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 09:28:26 PM »
...this is ridiculous. You can't expect people who run a business to give out anything that has to do with said businness for free. Good God.  :doh:
3 months and 1 week until Cap'n Zinc and Klardae get their new cage!
0 dollars raised - 130 dollars to raise
The cage: http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=1532&Nav=1&Ntt=cage&N=30+26&cp=6&Nao=60&sku=361119&familyID=15487&
-Check out our blog! http://rattiechronicles.blogspot.com/

Offline punkinbritches12

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 09:36:12 PM »
i have found out its pretty easy to come up with ideas...just take a piece of fabric, get a general idea, and start sewing...it may not be as pretty as some others on here who have experience and do things like this all the time, but my rat loves the things i have thrown together....i have also bought from one person on here (so far), so my rat will have the best of both worlds......you dont need someone to hand you their personal designs,  get creative!!
theres nothing wrong with people wanting to keep their ideas just that, THEIRS...but i think everyone i have seen selling on here has been doing it for more than just to make a buck...most are trying to help others in need...so why would you want to complain about someone taking their ideas and handy work to do some good for someone else...everyone on here has the right to buy or not buy the items, and support a good cause...if you cant or dont want to doesnt mean you have to down talk those that do.....

----------------------------------------------------

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 09:44:15 PM »
Actually Avon does donate to a lot of places.  Fundraisers are common among most reps. 

The reason for this post was due to a me being contacted by another member regarding a similar experience. 

Actually, you can buy cookbooks with recipes for resterants. 

I have started posts in the past asking for idea.  and the replies have been "buy from _______" you can't make better.

Offline KayRatz

• The Chronicles of Cap'n Zinc and 1st Mate Klardae!
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 09:47:09 PM »
A fundraiser raises funds, meaning that there's money involved.
3 months and 1 week until Cap'n Zinc and Klardae get their new cage!
0 dollars raised - 130 dollars to raise
The cage: http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=1532&Nav=1&Ntt=cage&N=30+26&cp=6&Nao=60&sku=361119&familyID=15487&
-Check out our blog! http://rattiechronicles.blogspot.com/

Offline ratlets

• Posts Too Much!
  • Kerfuffle is my heart rat!
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 09:48:30 PM »
A fundraiser raises funds, meaning that there's money involved.

Really?

No way!  :eek:
Owned by: Bandit, Ushi, Sheepster, & Devil

I'll never forget my Big Boy Kerfuffle, my Scruffy Scruff, & my little Peanut.

Offline ratqueen

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I've got some tongs and butter..
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 09:56:15 PM »
Well, I think this has gone as far as it needs to.