Author Topic: Raising your Pit Bulls! (A question.)  (Read 11254 times)

Offline Standingonthefringes

Raising your Pit Bulls! (A question.)
« on: March 08, 2007, 08:04:45 PM »
First- thank you for anybody who chooses to read this great big thing  :o If anybody has noticed, my posts tend to be a little extensive sometimes.

With me leaving for the summer and taking one of the dogs with me, my family is concerned that the other dog, Zeus, will be greatly missing his adopted brother. Our puppy Zeus, and was brought into the home when Happy was one year old. Happy is now three, and Zeus is two. They have basically been raised with each other, and I definitely believe that seperating them will have some effect on them. However, they both have their individual personalities of course. Happy is a very independent, mild-mannered shepherd that is wonderful around all types of other animals(..except some cats.. they, um, scare him.) He has traveled a great deal with me before, and is excellent in many situations. He's an unbelievable dog, really. Zeus, is a well-mannered American Pit Bull but unfortunately cannot be trusted around small animals. He will eat/chase any feral rabbits he can find, and is not above chasing cats... or deer(?). He also cannot be taken to the park(at least without a harness, and even then..), because he is often overwhelmed by the amount of other dogs there. However, he seems to be ok with playing with other dogs one on one. Anyway! What my family is considering is adopting another American Pit Bull Puppy, a male, for Zeus to bond with when Happy leaves.

Now, I'm slightly nervous about this, as for the reasons stated above. I've also been told that American Pit Bulls are known to fight each other.. which sounds a little flaky, because I know they are powerful or possibly dominant dogs, but I don't believe they would just fight another on sight. If we obtain this puppy, he may sleep in a seperate room with one of the family members until it seems he's old enough to integrate with the other boys, and has gradually been introduced to them. I'm still unsure about the male puppy, and have suggested alternatives to my mother about the situation. We are not leaving for a few months still, so it's possible for Happy to act as a buffer between these two dogs, with his understanding and neutral nature- though Zeus is the dominant dog. I also suggested getting a female Pit Bull(spayed-), so perhaps Zeus wouldn't feel as threatened. Or I thought about getting a German Shepherd, or a larger dog with a slightly different temperment bred into them to counter any aggression/dominance issues.

I plan to research this topic a little further, but would very much appreciate any first-hand advice about introducing Pit Bulls to other dogs/Pit Bulls, or any advice at all.

Much appreciation!

Rena

P/s- It is my belief that in the Nature vs. Nurture battle, both topics come into key. I believe that Pit Bulls have been bred to be powerful, possibly dominant animals(As have many, many other dogs for varying traits..). I also very much believe that it is the houser of the dog who raises and shapes the puppies personality, as would any parent with a child. Just to clarify anything  ;)

Offline ladytiger7647

• Posts Too Much!
  • Amoung the ratless but surrounded by angels
Re: Raising your Pit Bulls! (A question.)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 08:42:39 PM »
American Pit Bulls don't fight each other unless they are trained to. I know quit a few pit bull families that have more than one American Pit Bull and they get a long fine with each other! The idea of a seperate room is a good idea for when you are getting Zeus aquainted with the new puppy just in case...
RIP The Rat Men

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 09:06:37 PM »
Thank you for responding! And, it's great to hear that  :rattysmiley:

Offline elegy

• Posts Too Much!
  • obey the pit bull.
    • shattering.org
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 09:35:55 PM »
it is NOT NOT NOT true that pit bulls have to be trained to fight. absolutely frighteningly NOT TRUE. it is INSTINCT. it has been bred into them. you do not have to teach a pit bull to fight. and yes, they can decide to fight on sight. or they can decide to fight because of a resource. or they can decide to fight because of the phase of the moon. it is especially risky around the age of two, which is when most pit bulls reach social maturity.

pit bulls can live successfully in multi-dog households but they should NEVER be left alone together. you will need to be a strong leader, make rules and hold the dogs to them, obedience train the dogs, and supervise supervise supervise. pit bulls should NEVER be in a dog-park. they must be securely contained as they are notorious fence-breakers. they also often have quite a bit of prey drive and will chase/grab/bite.

info on owning a pit bull
pit bulls in multi-dog households

these dogs are in dire straights and owners MUST be knowledgeable and responsible. every time these dogs get into trouble, it further endangers the breed and our right to own it. these dogs are being banned in more and more places. they're being rounded up and exterminated. many shelters automatically euthanize every pit bull looking dog who comes through the door.

if you do decide to get a pit bull, i would look for a rescue and adopt a spayed adult female at least two years old with a laid-back personality. opposite sex dogs are usually the best match.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 09:37:30 PM by elegy »

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 06:59:09 AM »
What Elegy said....

Offline TEK

• Posts Too Much!
  • QUACK!
    • Tekka Maki Rodentry
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 09:49:30 AM »
I also suggested getting a female Pit Bull(spayed-), so perhaps Zeus wouldn't feel as threatened.

Seconding what Elgey (or maybe that's thirding).  Pit Bulls were *bred* for fighting other dogs.  (This is very different from all the bunk about them being human aggressive by nature).  That doesn't mean all of them will.  However if you have a dominant male on your hands, the last thing you want to do is test him.

Is Zeus neutered?  Again, echoing what Elegy said, a spayed female adult would be the ideal if your parents are set on an APBT.
-Dan
Providing Companions, Not Just Pets For More Than 8 years!
www.tekkarats.com
www.dogguide.net

Offline OldsGal

• Posts Too Much!
  • You Always Widdle On The One You Love
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 10:11:25 AM »
Not to hyjack the thread but I do have a question also while we are on the subject of owning pit bulls.  I sell insurance for a living.  NONE of the insurance companies I write for will write homeowners or renters insurance for anyone who owns a pit bull.  How do you people who own them get insurance?  Or do you just go without.  I am always amazed by the amount of people who own them.  I think they are beautiful dogs and I do agree that they have gotten a bad rap by stupid owners but my hands are tied and I can not write insurance for these people.  So what do you all do?

Thanks
Staci
Treat everyday like a dog would.  If you can't eat it or chew on it then pee on it and walk away!

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 10:27:03 AM »
  So what do you all do?

What I do is.... I own two lab mixes....

Yepper...

The little one looks like a pit bull and the big one looks like a rottie. 

I have also gone to every effort to make my dogs good members of society and I do not do things to put them and others at risk.  (in other words, I do not let them run loose, etc).  Both lab mixes have their canine good citizen too.  (The greyhound has not quite got there yet.  I'm not sure she will ever, she seems to not like strange dogs and snaps at them....hmmm. and she is the one the insurance company does not care about...  :icon_scratch: )

Offline OldsGal

• Posts Too Much!
  • You Always Widdle On The One You Love
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 10:48:54 AM »
  So what do you all do?

What I do is.... I own two lab mixes....

Yepper...

The little one looks like a pit bull and the big one looks like a rottie. 

I have also gone to every effort to make my dogs good members of society and I do not do things to put them and others at risk.  (in other words, I do not let them run loose, etc).  Both lab mixes have their canine good citizen too.  (The greyhound has not quite got there yet.  I'm not sure she will ever, she seems to not like strange dogs and snaps at them....hmmm. and she is the one the insurance company does not care about...  :icon_scratch: )

Actually that wouldn't work for my companies.  They specifically want to know what breed a dog is.  So if it is a mixed breed they want to know what the breeds are and if you don't know they won't write it.  And if it is mixed with a Pit then no go.  Oh and Rotties are also on the no go list too.  As well as Akitas, Dobbies, German Shepards, Chows...Hmmm and I know I am forgeting a few.

Staci
Treat everyday like a dog would.  If you can't eat it or chew on it then pee on it and walk away!

Offline elegy

• Posts Too Much!
  • obey the pit bull.
    • shattering.org
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 12:44:19 PM »
i have my homeowner's through state farm. my dogs are pit bulls. they are listed as pit bulls. i couldn't have lied about it if i had wanted to because the agent recognized me from seeing me around town with my dogs and said "you have the two pit bulls, right?" lol

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 01:10:55 PM »

Actually that wouldn't work for my companies.  They specifically want to know what breed a dog is.

Staci

Exactly.... They are a lab mix.  They are humane society specials.  Mutts.  And yes, I know Rotties are on the no-go list too.  Again, I find it ironic since my pit and my rottie are both far less likely to cause a problem with anyone than my greyhound.  And heck, no one is afraid of a greyhound.

Offline dragynflye

• Posts Too Much!
  • greetings from nikki and the horde!
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 01:30:06 PM »
hehehe when my mom was trying to get home owners insurance, no one batted an eye at her three boxers, but wouldn't insure her because of her miniture pinscher!

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 01:39:59 PM »
On the original topic- as far as mixing dogs, what I have generally heard (which will vary with the breed, and individual personalities of the dogs invovled) is best is a male-female, then male-male and last female-female.

In our house, I started with a female, added a male and then added another male as my 3rd dog is a breed that can have some pretty dominant females (as the breeder put it, "female ACD's are true bitches"). But I grew up in a house that only had females together and never had a problem. In your case, I'd definately try for an older female.
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 11:28:19 PM »
I have a friend who had 11 dogs.  About half of them were pit or pit mixes.  The most likely to fight out of her group were females.

At my house female is dominant (though she knows I am dominant to her).  I am one to recommend male-female or male-male, but of course it is just personal preference! It also depends on if the males are intact occasionally.
The Dogs: Macy, Laynee, Roman, Sicili, & Cappy 🐕
The Rats: Astrid,  Imogen,  and Yvaine 🐀
The Cat: Charm, Kitten & foster kittens Mad Hatter & Mad Max!  🐈

So many 4 legged babies are missed.  Alice & Whimsy are the most recent.  ❤

Offline akasha07

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 07:22:38 PM »
Any pitbull owner should fully admit that these dogs are not the right breed for everyone to own. Pitbulls are a breed that require alot of attention, training, dedication, and most of all, a tough skin. With BSL rearing its ugly head in different parts of the world, it is important that pitbull owners are responsible, and a positive representative of the breed.

Pitbulls are affectionate and devoted family pets
Pitbulls are agile and athletic
Pitbulls may posess animal aggression

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 07:35:12 AM »
Any pitbull owner should fully admit that these dogs are not the right breed for everyone to own.

So VERY true!

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2007, 03:16:16 PM »
Hmm... I've discussed some of these things with my Mother, and in this situation it may be best if we did not get another Pit Bull. It might be an option considering you can seperate the two when away from home in crates, but I really would prefer that not be done- and since my Mother (so far) refuses to let the dogs in the main section of the house, we wouldn't be able to seperate them another way.

In this case, could anybody tell me another medium to large sized breed of dog that would be agreeable with a Pit? We are looking at Huskies and Shepherds, mostly. I think(?) Huskies can be tempermental, so that may not be an option.. but, we're just looking thusfar. I would very much like to get a dog from a rescue service, old or young, but my parents are looking for a "puppy"  ::)

Also, though Zeus is aggressive on the occasion, he is fairly well-trained and generally listens to the family.

I'm not sure what is done about Zeuser and insurance, though.

Thank you for all the help! (:

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2007, 03:53:52 PM »
Hmm... I've discussed some of these things with my Mother, and in this situation it may be best if we did not get another Pit Bull. It might be an option considering you can seperate the two when away from home in crates, but I really would prefer that not be done- and since my Mother (so far) refuses to let the dogs in the main section of the house, we wouldn't be able to seperate them another way.

In my opinion if you are not willing to keep the dogs seperated when you are not able to supervise you probably should not risk getting another dog at all.

Offline elegy

• Posts Too Much!
  • obey the pit bull.
    • shattering.org
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007, 05:47:07 PM »
i agree. a pit bull shouldn't be left alone with another dog no matter what breed.

Offline TEK

• Posts Too Much!
  • QUACK!
    • Tekka Maki Rodentry
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 09:55:13 AM »
Is Zues neutered?
Providing Companions, Not Just Pets For More Than 8 years!
www.tekkarats.com
www.dogguide.net

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2007, 12:28:50 AM »
Zeus is not neutered. I believe the discussion has been brought up at least once in my household- I do not wish to discuss it further.

I am also concerned about leaving Zeus alone with Happy now- though the two have gotten along exceptionally well over the span of two years, so I may look further into the subject.

However, the option of seperating dogs may be able to be pushed. When I initially touched upon the topic with my Mother, I think I did so briefly. In that case, I am still curious about alternative breeds, and my Mother is looking into a trip to Borders with my to research some- if anything. This entire situation is all still very much in the process, nothing concrete at all so far, with the exception of interest.

As a note- There are some things going on in my household that I do not necessarily agree with or condone.(*I am not specifically targeting neutering, either-) Please understand. Also, I think it is important to consider that Zeus is not an absolutely agressive dog. He does associate with others, often well.

Thank you for all the replies.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 12:30:24 AM by Standingonthefringes »

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2007, 07:13:42 AM »
Also, I think it is important to consider that Zeus is not an absolutely agressive dog. He does associate with others, often well.

Actually, to me that does not matter.
I do not leave any of my dogs home alone together.  My pit gets along with every dog she has met.  She is very passive about most situations.  She most certainly is not aggressive (unless you are a toy with stuffing that needs to be removed). 
But it is not worth the risk.
It is never worth the risk.

And it actually, to me, has little to do with her being a pit.  I have known people and heard other stories where none of the dogs involved were 'aggressive' breeds and bad things happened.

Bad things = dead dogs, btw.  Not just wounds or mess.  I mean dead dogs.  In one case, not only a dead dog, but a dead dog ripped to pieces.  (that was someone I knew, it was an established pack that got along well, etc).

Offline Maxxsgirl

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 10:01:55 AM »
My friends pitbull lives in a household with three other dogs: a chow mix, a jack russel, and a border terrier.  He gets along fantastically with the two little dogs, they nip at him and yip at him and don't give him a moments rest throughout the day, but he and the chow are never in the same room together because they'll kill one another.  In fact, he's gotten along famously with every other dog he's met except the chow mix and any other typically breed-dominant dog we've come across (bull terrier, doberman, etc.).  He's always interacted well with all the toy breeds, spaniels, and so on.  The only dog he's ever come to blows with is the chow and the only reason he hasn't with the other dogs we've encountered is because he and the other dogs were leashed.
RIP Brindle, Chalky, Rocky, Raymond, Baby my baby, Tilty and Deja <3.
Owned by Binnie, Sophie, Lilee, and Samson

Offline RompStompnBoogie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 12:04:28 AM »
I would air on the side of safety and say NO 2 (or 3 or 4!) dogs should be left together unsupervised!  Seriously....I know it sounds a bit drastic but dogs can be the best of friends and then pick fights over little things like lounging space, toys, or just plain get on eachothers' nerves.  It's far easier and less heartbreaking to put them in crates or seperate rooms than to come home to a bloodbath.  I have 5 dogs...all Pits, Pit mixes and American Bulldogs.  My dogs are ALWAYS seperated when I am not there to supervise.  I work in Animal Control and tend to take the more difficult cases, so there are occasional spats between 2 of my dogs.  However, it's not true that every Pit Bull comes from fighting descendants and will fight with other dogs or be animal aggressive in general.  However, many Pits are that way.  And I do agree, the breed IS NOT for everyone!  But I don't agree with the fact that a Pit should never be allowed in a dog park!  That's just kind of silly.  If you have doubts about your dog getting along with others, or being aggressive towards people than your dog shouldn't be there no matter what breed it is.  I know plenty of people who have well trained, well socialized, very sweet, tolerant, submissive and even-tempered Pits who have never encountered a problem at a dog park.  On the flip side, I know plenty of people who have very unstable, poorly trained, dominant, spooky and aggressive labs, huskies, shepherds, etc.  It depends on the genetics, the upbringing and the temperament of the INDIVIDUAL dog....not the breed.

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007, 08:47:38 AM »
I just wanted to add my 2 cents re: pits at a dog park. I live in a small city (big to me, but itty bitty in reality) and our dog park association is very small and close. The dog park only just opened last July, after years of fund raising and monthly "dog park for a day" events at various fenced in fields. I belong to the "regulars" that come daily and at the same time in the evening. There is a woman that comes and I talk to her every time I see her, she does pit rescue/fostering and has 8 pits. Of the 8, there are only 4 that she brings to the dog park. None of them have ever caused a problem. In fact, there are a few dogs I know of at the dog park that often cause problems from being overly dominant and mildly aggressive. In addition to her, I know of 2 other owners with full pits that come, and a few pit mixes that come. None of those dogs have ever caused a problem. The worst dog that comes, is some sort of shepherd mix (appears shepherd, chow, rot, heinz 57 ;) ) and he is by no means a bad dog; but picks on some of the submissive dogs. No, this is not the case for all pits. But it bothers me to read that pits should never be allowed in a dog park. It was also said that things depend on the genetics, upbringing, and temperament of the individual dog. I believe this applies to the dog park, as well.