Author Topic: Raising your Pit Bulls! (A question.)  (Read 11159 times)

Offline Ratwings

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Elfwood Art Gallery
Re: Raising your Pit Bulls! (A question.)
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2007, 11:48:03 PM »
Trub and others have made some very good points, but I have little story as an example to support what everyone has said!

I am fairly new to pits but not new to dogs and I consider myself above average at interpreting dog body language and behavior.  I am a vet tech and apprenticing with a CPDT/ behavior consultant.  I just adopted Sonny, my first (and definately not my last!) pit a few weeks ago.  He's about 8 months old, and loves other dogs (and people!) and is very socially appropriate with them.  Once he heals fully from his surgery for a broken leg, he will be allowed to play off leash and fenced in with other socially appropriate dogs that I know.  I'm not taking him to a dog park where there may be aggressive dogs or bullies.  I feel I know him very well by now, and I know he will not start a fight. But if a dog goes after him in a truly threatening manner, and doesn't let him run away, he WILL fight back in self defense, and he may lose his bite inhibition/restraint in a situation like this. I witnessed this at home, and it made me realize how important this issue is with responsible pit ownership.

I have an old, grouchy, half blind miniature poodle named Rocky.  He doesn't like other dogs invading his personal space.  He lets them them know about it by snarling and biting, and he doesn't back down easily.  One day, Sonny saw Rocky playing in the living room by himself, so he ran up to him and thought to join the fun by batting him with his paw.  Rocky is very reactive, and took this as a major threat and proceded to lunge at and repeatedly bite Sonny.  Sonny backed up, in a submissive posture, lowering his body, ears back,. tail tucked and head turned away.  If Rocky were a socially appropriate dog, he would have stopped biting and lunging because he got his message across and Sonny learned his lesson.  But Rocky kept biting at Sonny (I'm wondering if he wasn't a pit in another life!), backed him into a corner, and my innocent little puppy became a snarling, growling full-fledged pit bull.  He had every right to fight back, and he only gave Rocky a few warning nips on his back (no breaking the skin or even bruising) but if I had not stopped it I fear it would have only gotten worse, and anyone knows that a poodle is not going to fare well in a fight with a pit!  Landon, my lab/golden cross has been in this same situation with Rocky several times. Landon simply cringes and sort of waits for Rocky to finish biting him before he runs away. He once growled in annoyance, but didn't act on it. He's not a particularly submissive dog, but he's extremely tolerant and can safely play at dog parks.  If a dog gets aggressive with him, he knows how to diffuse the tension and get out unscathed.  But with dogs he knows and loves, he's wild and pushy and downright obnoxious sometimes.

All dogs are individuals but there are certain breed traits that are usually almost always consistent.  Labs chase balls till they drop from exhaustion (Landon can tell you about this!) Border collies herd anything that moves.  Terriers have a very high prey drive, and chase after squirrels and birds sometimes obsessively.  Hounds make lots of noise to let you know what's going on.  And pits just can't be expected to remain in control of themselves if they are provoked into a fight.  Some pits might take a lot more provoking that others, but the possibility is always there, and responsible pit owners need to be aware of this if we are going to change people's minds about the breed.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 11:51:59 PM by Ratwings »
~Julie

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2007, 07:31:02 AM »
Perfect example Ratwings, thank you!  That is so how my pit girl is.  She will protect herself if attacked and unable to get away.  But other than that she normally just walks away.   (and gets next to me and looks up and says 'mom, this is your job, right?')

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2007, 02:57:04 PM »
To the OP, did you figure the situation out?   Is leaving the bonded pair of dogs together an option?  It seems the dogs might appreciate that.

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2007, 06:33:23 PM »

Original poster:  Next time your parents are going on a trip for a week or two, offer to "babysit" Zeus.  http://www.neuticles.com/index1.html   :cheeky:  They'll never know...

Ongoing Pit Debate:  I live in Philadelphia, and there is a huge pitbull problem here: dogfighting.  You can meet pits that were obviously used for fighting walking in parks used by tons of other dogs.  It sucks that so much good positive work can go down the waste recepticle with just one negative incident.  My friend has a pit and he is muzzled anytime he's out of the house.  He is a submissive dog, and great with other people, kids, etc....  He trusts my friend to do his fighting for him (in the case of the snarling LAB that jumped it's fence and came at him).  Even still, like others have mentioned, it's just not worth the risk.   With a properly fitted muzzle on at least he can't be blamed for biting anyone.

Ratwings:  Congrats!!!!!!  I walk away for a couple weeks and you go get a dog??   :D   Dang, I'm jealous.  I can't even handle getting a seeing eye puppy.  *sniff*   :cookie: for the mushy face!  :cookie: And one for big brother Landon too so he doesn't feel left out.

Offline TEK

• Posts Too Much!
  • QUACK!
    • Tekka Maki Rodentry
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2007, 08:01:05 PM »
I have to say, Philly has way LESS of a pit problem than Chicago.  That place was nuts. 
However nakedrats is right, there are tons of them around here too, used for less than acceptable purposes. (Let's talk about the building behind the "Super 7")

(there is my killer)
Providing Companions, Not Just Pets For More Than 8 years!
www.tekkarats.com
www.dogguide.net

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2007, 01:05:04 PM »

It's totally true, TEK.  That puppy is down right dangerous.  He's killed at least a dozen people on sight in this forum alone (including myself) with his aggressive cuteness and vicious wrinkles.  Reef too!  She is a downright beautiful dog and I get horrible attacks of GGaD (Gotta Get a Dog) just looking at those half droopy ears and that spotty pink nose!  Its because of people like you that we have cuteness-specific legislation on this forum banning certain kinds of animals (puppies and eepers especially) from being displayed without adequate protection to the viewer.   ;D

Don't even get me started with those poor pups in that filthy excuse for a "yard".....   :'(  I feel soooooo sorry for them.  If I only.... *brandishes fist*  I don't even want to know how bad Chicago is.   :worry:  Some people make me sick.

Offline Ratwings

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Elfwood Art Gallery
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2007, 05:17:23 PM »
Ratwings:  Congrats!!!!!!  I walk away for a couple weeks and you go get a dog??   :D   Dang, I'm jealous.  I can't even handle getting a seeing eye puppy.  *sniff*   :cookie: for the mushy face!  :cookie: And one for big brother Landon too so he doesn't feel left out.

Heehee, getting Sonny was purely selfish. Landon is leaving on May 14th and I know I will be heartbroken. I can't deal with going through with that again. I hadn't intended on getting another dog quite so soon, but I guess it was love at first sight! Sonny will keep me busy. Plus I am so excited to train a dog the way I want to (clicker trainng) and I never have to use a choke chain again.  I am not in love the the Seeing Eye anymore for that reason and others, but will spare you the rant! Landon and Sonny say thanks for the cookies!

Anyway I have just totally hijacked this thread so I will now run away before I get arrested by the forum police!
~Julie