Author Topic: Foster Trouble  (Read 756 times)

Offline lissa4622

• Save a Life, Adopt a Homeless Pet...
Foster Trouble
« on: March 17, 2007, 10:27:17 PM »
I have this foster kitten right now who is about 5-6 months old.  Some of you may remember when I posted that she was extremely sick and I had to take her to the emergency vet.  Well, she is all better now, healthwise, but I am having a lot of other issues with her and am at a loss as to what I should do.  She is a total princess.  She thinks the world revolves around her and gets very angry if she doesn't get her own way.  She hates being petted and held unless it is on her terms.  She will rub up against people and purr, but when they go to pet her, she attacks (bites, scratches, hisses).  If she is sleeping on the bed and I accidentally touch her or bump her, she will attack me.  And she likes to go for people's faces.  I am covered in wounds from her.  It isn't like she is feral either, because she is in no way fearful, it all seems to be out of anger.  She will approach people and pretend to be nice.  I tried making her work for all her meals.  She would have to sit or lie down or high five in order to get a piece of food and I would hand feed her everything, one piece at a time.  It was very time consuming, but worth it if it worked.  I didn't see any difference in her.  I try getting her energy out so she is exhausted and will just sleep rather than attack.  I don't know what else to do.  No one is going to want to adopt a cat that truly hates everyone.  She has about 10 minutes a day where she will allow me to pet her, but the rest of the time she will try to kill me if I touch her.  She is my best friend if I have something she wants.  I tried a spray bottle to squirt her when she would bite, but she took the bottle and hid it when I wasn't home.  I found it behind my desk.  But I don't think punishment works, because she will still bite when the water bottle isn't around.  I've tried time-outs, positive reinforcement, everything I can think of, but nothing is improving her attitude.  The weird thing is, she LOVES my rats.  My roommate left the rat cage door open on accident after giving them some treats and I found the cat curled up in the cage on one of the shelves with two of the rats.  She plays gently with them and cuddles with them.  Everyone jokes that I've brainwashed her into thinking she is a rat.  She even sleeps in one of my unused cages.  I'm sure it is just a coincidence, but she won't even play with mouse-shaped cat toys.  Any suggestions on what I should do with the princess?  I don't know how I am going to find a home for her.  I might have to end up keeping her with me, but I am not really in a position right now to own a cat (I am going away for a couple months in the summer for an internship and would have to find a place to keep her).  I certainly don't want to take her back to the shelter and have her euthanized.  I need help with the monster!!!

Here is a picture of Princess Kelsey.  She is pretty...