Author Topic: bad for the feeties?  (Read 535 times)

Offline zombies_girl

• Posts Too Much!
bad for the feeties?
« on: March 23, 2007, 07:07:49 PM »
we have some rats with sharp nails and we are constantly clipping them.  Our throught was to put light sand paper on the ramps in the cage but we weren't sure if it would hurt the little feeties? 

thanks in advance guys!
Zombie girl hammocks on facebook!
mommy to: Oswin Oswald, Rory Pond & Simon

DaiseyGirl

Re: bad for the feeties?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 07:40:08 PM »
I'm to chicken to clip those little nails! Looking in other threads it was suggested a brick or stone in a high traffic area. We put a stone under the water bottle and it has worked great! They used to leave little scratches on my daughters hands - nothing since putting in rock.

Offline werecatrising

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 08:14:12 PM »
I, too, have considered lining the ramps with something. I can't imagine it would be good for them to walk on though. Instead I put bricks under their food bowls and water bottles. It seems to do the trick.

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 08:16:37 PM »
Rats don't climb on their nails, or grip the rungs like a bird does. They walk on the 'soles' of their feet just like we do, so putting the sandpaper there wouldn't do any good and has the possibility of causing some scratches and such.

Putting bricks next to litterboxes, under water bottles, and at the ends of ramps usually helps the problem.

Offline zombies_girl

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 04:40:20 PM »
thanks guys!
Zombie girl hammocks on facebook!
mommy to: Oswin Oswald, Rory Pond & Simon