Author Topic: Ferret Nation Modification (For Dummies) Please?  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Saydrah

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rat Tongues Rule
    • Rizzle Rat Rattery
Ferret Nation Modification (For Dummies) Please?
« on: March 31, 2007, 02:58:59 AM »
Ok, so that free shipping dealio is getting me all worked up about wanting an FN!  :hyper: But as a future breeder, I will need my cage to suit younger rats.  :help: I have heard of some folks using hardware cloth to cover the cage and cookie sheets to create additional levels in it. Can anyone send pictures of a hardware cloth covered FN? I don't even know what hardware cloth IS, much less how to do that with it... Help! Have any of you kept little ones successfully in an FN?
Rizzle Rat Rattery has NEWS! First litter planned for March 2009. See http://www.rizzlerats.com for details, or check the Adoptions forum!

Offline jorats

• Posts Too Much!
  • There are rats in my house.
    • The Rat Shack
Re: Ferret Nation Modification (For Dummies) Please?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 08:39:00 AM »
There was a thread going around showing the modified FN. You can see a pic in this thread: http://www.goosemoose.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,70/topic,4018596.0
Joanne
The Rat Shack

Until there's none... rescue one.

Offline kaycejonesgrl

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Ferret Nation Modification (For Dummies) Please?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 12:15:02 AM »
That was my post. :D I ended up covering my single level FN and the bottom half of my double level FN with 1/2" vinyl coated mesh.
I dont have pics just yet but it wasn't too hard. I just cut a piece to size and secured it to the inside of each panel (as I was putting it all together) with zip ties.

The only thing is to make sure and do under the pan and inbetween the upper and lower levels if you want to contain them in one. My lil girls figure out how to get into the big girls top half in the first night. No one has gotten out out but they are now in the full cage with half mesh and half non. No one has tried to get under the bottom pan though to get out.
Critters, critters everywhere, we're never short on love <3
Pooches: Kole, Dally and Cheyenne
King of the household our feline friend Gibson
aka Colonel Fluffy Bum.
Three rattie girls Hoodlum and the no name twins
My snazzy Betta buddy Sake
and my beloved equine friend, 1100lbs of heart Kaycejones