Author Topic: Cat Urinating on floor and objects  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Aimee

Cat Urinating on floor and objects
« on: April 07, 2007, 02:37:48 AM »
My Uncle had a litter of kittens hanging around his house. I was able to catch two a boy and a girl. I rehomed the female,and kept the boy and named him Bird. He was very scared at first. He used the litterbox fine. My brother has a male cat and they got along fine. He started being extra lovey to me. I was prego and he'd lay on my belly. That's where he thought he was supposed to be. Then I had the baby and he'd give her dirty looks when I didn't let him step on her to be in "his" spot. A few weeks later I moved to CA for a few months. I wasn't able to take him with me and my mom said it was fine to leave him there and my little bro told me I couldn't take him cause he liked him. A month or so after I was gone he started peeing on anything that was left on the floor. Newspaper, books, shoes, clothes, backpacks, etc. Then my mom moved to a new house and they keep him on the balcony with a storage closet with his box in it. He isn't allowed inside, but will explore inside if the door is left open for a few hours. I've moved back up here now. He will run back to his balcony if any noises are made. He usually lays out there all day,and the storage room door is shut at night to keep him warmer.
 He will not pee or poo anywhere out there exept his box, but after he's been inside a few minutes he squats and pees on the floor. Now there doesn't seem to have to be any object there for him to go on. Garfield and Bird get along occasionally, but never fight. I thought he might be marking his territory, but heard they spray on things like walls then not squat on floors.
 I need to know what I could do so he could come inside and not pee on the floor. My mom doesn't want him in if he goes on the floor at all. I don't know why he does it since he uses the box regularly and it isn't dirty. He only does it when he comes inside. He will only go in his box outside.

Thanks for any help
Aimee

Offline Aimee

Re: Cat Urinating on floor and objects
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 03:04:31 AM »
Anyone?

Offline Leonakitty

• Posts Too Much!
  • Animal are my friends, and I don't eat my friends.
    • Leona's Art
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 10:05:24 AM »
Take him to the vet.  Get him checked for a urinary tract infection.  This is usually the reason for house soiling and can be fatal to male cats. 

If it's not a UTI, check out this info on behaviorial reasons for soiling:
http://www.apbc.org.uk/article10.htm
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/inappro-elim2.html
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_feline_house_soiling.html

Your situation seems a bit odd...with the going outside, but not in.  He has a litter box inside?
Try moving it to where he seems to be going potty inside and see if he'll use it if its proximity is closer to his balcony.
Try to find out differences between the two boxes.  Is one open, one covered?  Cats hate covers, typically.  There has to be a good cat reason for why one box is fine and the other isn't.  Figure out what it is, and you'll solve the issue.

Good luck.
Melissa

Offline Aimee

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 10:17:41 PM »
He doesn't have a UTI. He doesn't have a box inside anymore. When he did he still went in both places. He's peed inside soon after coming inside. His litterbox is clean. I think he is extra nervouse or something. I'll have to talk to the vet about it.

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 05:45:11 PM »
It sounds to me like your cat has been through a LOT of changes, and is responding to it by peeing on things.  He probably missed you to the point where he wanted to make sure everyone knew it.  ;)

One of my cats will pee where he shouldn't if the litterbox isn't cleaned, so my boyfriend scoops it daily, and changes the litter completely every 2-3 days.  It is a small hassle, but worth it.  I can't even remember the last time he did it now.  :)

Offline ratlets

• Posts Too Much!
  • Kerfuffle is my heart rat!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 09:18:00 PM »
Is he neutered?
Owned by: Bandit, Ushi, Sheepster, & Devil

I'll never forget my Big Boy Kerfuffle, my Scruffy Scruff, & my little Peanut.

Offline Aimee

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 11:48:40 PM »
No, he hasn't been nuetered yet. My mom was supposed to do it, but she didn't. He will be fixed soon though.

He's been doing alot better now.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 11:10:10 AM »
No, he hasn't been nuetered yet. My mom was supposed to do it, but she didn't. He will be fixed soon though.

He's been doing alot better now.

Ah, neutering could end the problem for good.  It's very possible it's a territorial reaction, which tends to get less after they're neutered.