Author Topic: "playing fair" with your dogs...  (Read 1797 times)

Offline andrea1970

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Profile
"playing fair" with your dogs...
« on: April 23, 2007, 01:26:35 AM »
We have 2 dogs -- a very old, limited mobility labrador named bailey and a 4-year-old brittany named Ginny.  We keep running into circumstances where we're doing something as a family that we'd like to include Ginny, but is simply not an option to bring Bailey.  One example is camping this weekend -- ginny would likely be fine, but it would truly be incredibly stressful for Bailey with the travel and the cold.  But if we leave Bailey behind, she's also miserable - barking, yelping,  and howling for Ginny.  And she's truly jealous to be left behind, even when we take Ginny for a walk that Bailey couldn't possibly handle.  So I feel guilty for leaving Bailey behind, but then I feel bad for depriving Ginny of things she's able to do because bailey's going to freak.   How do you deal with disparate abilities among bonded dogs?
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."  -- Thomas Jefferson
Andrea DeJarnett

Offline Punkygirl0101

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dogs-Cats-Ferrets-Mice-Turtles-Fish
Re: "playing fair" with your dogs...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 06:48:02 AM »
Honestly, I would take Ginny on the trip. What do you do with Baily when you are gone? Friend, pet sitter?

I have 12 dogs, and as you can imagine, I cannot take all 12 with me when I do something, like the dog park, or pet store, or day trips...so i just make sure to spend alot of time with the dogs who don't go that day,and give them special treats..

and then you can take Baily somewhere special on his own as well! :)
4 Rats-6 Dogs-3 Ferrets-1 Hamster-2 Box turtles-15 Cats (including fosters)

Offline andrea1970

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 01:06:50 AM »
Bailey really can't go anywhere that's not a life necessity.  She can't get in or out of the car and it hurts her to be lifted.  She's 65-lbs and 13-years-old. She can barely step up the threshold between the patio and the grass, so I don't think even a ramp would help.  She's just out of gas.

It works both ways -- Ginny has a conniption if we take Bailey away from her too.  Although she has NO problem leaving Bailey behind while she plays!!  LOL
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."  -- Thomas Jefferson
Andrea DeJarnett

Offline lissa4622

• Save a Life, Adopt a Homeless Pet...
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 03:54:01 AM »
That is a difficult situation.  My sister has a somewhat similar but opposite situation in that she has a 13 year old lab and a 6 year old lab.  Toby, the older one, can't do much anymore.  Diamond, the younger one, is extremely attached to Toby.  So much so that she cannot be in a separate room from him without having a complete emotional breakdown.  Toby, on the other hand, is perfectly happy no matter what, as long as he has a tennis ball in his mouth (can't really fetch anymore, but the tennis ball itself brings him so much joy).  We are rather concerned what will happen when Toby passes and Diamond is left without him.  My sister and her family also go on camping trips and were left in the same dilemma.  They couldn't take Toby because he couldn't handle it.  They wanted Diamond to have the experience but were worried how she would act without Toby around, although she will need to get used to it when he does go.  Toby stayed with me and Diamond went camping.  It was rough, but she managed to have fun running around without him in her sight. 
Is there anything that Bailey really enjoys?  A special treat or toy or anything?  I suggest taking Ginny, but leaving Bailey with whatever it is that she would get a lot of enjoyment out of, maybe to ease the jealousy.  Practice beforehand, by someone taking Ginny away for 30 minutes at a time, while you give Bailey tons of treats and attention.  Do this several times in the days before you leave.  Maybe she will begin to associate Ginny being gone with good stuff. 

Offline Maxxsgirl

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 10:45:42 PM »
You may think I'm ridiculous, but I'd sit her down and explain why you're leaving her behind.  Tell her that you love her very much and you'd love to include her in your plans, but you don't want to make her too cold or have her hurt herself through too much activity and that you'll absolutely come back to her and bring her friend back and you'll make up leaving her with lots of treats and special time.  I'm a firm believer that animals can understand us and I've found that explaining things to my animals goes a long way.  Introductions between my rats go smoother when I explain to them why I've brought new rats into the house and why I want them to live together, I can calm my 3 year old pony down about new, scary things by explaining to him verbally what it is and why we have to deal with it.  Speaking calm, reassuring nonsense doesn't have the same effect as does rational conversation.  If anything, it's worth a try.  Certainly can't hurt.
RIP Brindle, Chalky, Rocky, Raymond, Baby my baby, Tilty and Deja <3.
Owned by Binnie, Sophie, Lilee, and Samson