Author Topic: *Sad Update* Ernie is gone. : (  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Arlene

• Posts Too Much!
  • Be kind to every living thing!
*Sad Update* Ernie is gone. : (
« on: April 23, 2007, 10:51:52 AM »
Ernie went to the vet today because he was lethargic and had blood in his urine. The vet did an exam, urinalysis and an ultrasound. She found a small tumor in his bladder. He's on Baytril because the urinalysis showed infection in his urine and Metacam for pain. Eventually it will grow to the point that he can't pee at all. We have no idea how long that will be. Anyone have any suggestions on what to watch for or how to keep him more comfortable?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 12:36:39 PM by Arlene »
Arlene & my 6 rats, 2 mice, 2 ferrets, 9 cats (3 house kitties,3 feral, 3 fosters), 3 dogs Missing: 135 rats, 15 ferrets, 5 cats, 7 dogs

Offline Kendra

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Ernie has a tumor on his bladder.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 11:02:34 AM »
I'm so sorry, Arlene.  I have no idea what to tell you, except that the Metacam and Baytril sound like good ideas.  Would an operation be at all feasible, or is the tumor actually attached to the wall of the bladder?
Ratless

Offline Arlene

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 11:15:49 AM »
Thanks Kendra. The tumor is attached to the wall down by the opening going to the urethra. It's not operable.
Arlene & my 6 rats, 2 mice, 2 ferrets, 9 cats (3 house kitties,3 feral, 3 fosters), 3 dogs Missing: 135 rats, 15 ferrets, 5 cats, 7 dogs

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 01:27:24 PM »
Oh Arlene, I was really hoping it was a UTI.  :(  Poor Ernie.    :(

Your vet didn't give you any idea on what to expect?

((hugs))

Offline Arlene

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 03:00:13 PM »
She didn't give me any ideas about what to expect except to say that eventually he wouldn't be able to pee anymore and she said that we will really have to watch his quality of life. He's worrying me already about that since he isn't eating much and doesn't want to play, just hide in the dome under the blankets. I took them both out for a little bit so I could clean their cage. They are still both in the floor but just lying there on a blanket. At least it is a change of scenery. I'm hoping that the meds will make him feel better. If they don't, I don't know. I don't want him to be miserable though. I'm too overwhelmed to think about that right now.

Mercy is still attached to him at the hip. She won't even leave his side to eat. I have to put the food  right in front of her and him so she doesn't have to move away from him and then she will eat. <long sigh> She's going to be so lost without him!

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 03:28:02 PM »
An infection can make them feel so rotten, and you are treating that.  I am hopeful that he will bounce back for awhile, and maybe sweet caring Mercy will come to accept whats going on.
Is he still peeing okay at this point? 

Offline Arlene

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Ernie has a tumor on his bladder. **SAD UPDATE** Ernie's gone
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 12:18:08 PM »
Ernie hasn't been doing well so I took him in today to be rechecked. He wasn't eating, his eyes looked dull and  when I examined his penis area I saw what looked like to me some infection. He had lost another 150 grams since he was at the vet's 2 weeks ago. He was obviously miserable. Dr.Guth turned him over to examine him and pulled back his foreskin to expose his penis we realized why he was so miserable. He wasn't blocked but all this nasty green smelly infection came out. She and I talked a long time. We could either let him suffer for a few more days with an infection that was getting continuously worse even though he was on antibiotics, meanwhile trying another antibiotic that probably wouldn't help either, or we could release him from his pain and suffering today. I chose to let him go.

I brought him home and put him in the cage for Mercy to say goodbye. She sniffed at his face and ran away. I tried to get her to come back but she would have no part of it. She either already knew he was gone or didn't want to face it. In any case, they were very bonded and I am concerned about her grieving too hard.

I hope this makes sense. I thought some of you would want to know that Ernie is gone.

Offline p3purr

Re: *Sad Update* Ernie is gone. : (
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 12:43:04 PM »
Arlene I'm so sorry for your loss!   :'(
Big hug from me and my furs.   :heart:  Please give Mercy a kiss from Aunt Patricia. :color:
Patricia
9 Ratties at the Bridge
Cats:  Ernest, Britney & Milo 

"The ultimate measure of a Man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 12:56:23 PM »
I'm so sorry, Arlene.  *hugs*  It's hard when we can't do anything else for them but let them go, but it's a great gift we can give when they're suffering.  Give Mercy gently scritches from me.

Offline Leonakitty

• Posts Too Much!
  • Animal are my friends, and I don't eat my friends.
    • Leona's Art
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 02:21:40 PM »
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Play hard, Ernie, watch over momma and Mercy.  :cookie:
Melissa

Offline DolciLady

• Posts Too Much!!
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rattie slave and lovin every minute of it!
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 02:32:19 PM »
Arlene, I'm so sorry.  Big hugs to you and gentle lovins for Mercy.

Robin
SugarBaby...my heart rat    The sweetest love I've ever known.

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 02:32:57 PM »
Oh no Arlene. I'm so sorry for your loss. :heart:

Offline JR1030

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 02:33:41 PM »
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about Ernie. (((hugs)))
~Rebecca

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 02:35:13 PM »
Very sorry to hear about Ernie.  Play hard at the bridge sweet man.
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline RNPaulie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 05:27:35 PM »
I am so sorry my friend== hugs

Proud Mom to 
Corbin,Zac,Lucas,Noah and Liam
miss you Melka and Brady..

Offline jackieann82

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 05:53:21 PM »
I am sorry to hear about your loss. :'(
You're not friends. You'll never be friends. You'll be in love until it kills you both. You'll fight, an you'll shag, and you'll hate each other til it makes you quiver, but you'll never be friends. Love isn't brains children it's blood, blood screaming inside you to work its will.

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 06:40:08 PM »
((hugs)))

I looked for you on IM, but you weren't there. I am thinking of you tonight.  :'(

Offline MaevePotter

• Posts Too Much!
    • Meg's Magical Hammocks
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2007, 06:43:41 PM »
Arlene, I am very sorry. I hope Mercy will be ok. I lost Emily today too and I am so sad for my girls and myself. You did the right thing. ::hugs::
:heart: Loved by: Sean, Mittens, Honey, Little Bear, Pewpew, Thomas, Midget, Benjamin, Little Heart, Petal, Piranha, and Cricket.
Mommy misses: Dumbo, Piper, Emily, Merlyn, Theo, sweet Finn, Georgiana, Winston, Lily, Owen, Nicholas, Albus, Dumbledore, sweet Daphne, Fiona, Roger, Esther, and Caius.

Offline jessiree

• Posts Too Much!
  • I live for rattie kisses.
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 08:24:39 PM »
*hugs*  I'm so so sorry about Ernie.  :'(
Love a rescue rat and they will love you back!

Offline Dori

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Me and my best guy!
    • Safe Haven Humane Society
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2007, 02:20:14 PM »
I am so sorry Arlene about Ernie.  :'( You did the right thing letting him go. Big hugs to you (((((((((((( Arlene ))))))))))))

Offline ratty_pack

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2007, 05:09:12 PM »
Sorry for your loss.  Ernie will be alive in your memories!

Offline Nelly

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • If my body is a temple it's Deshnok Temple, India
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2007, 05:37:44 PM »
Oh Arlene, I'm so very sorry (((HUGS))) His poor little body sounds like it had had enough. I hope you, Mercy and everyone feel less sad soon (((HUGS)))
Nicky&her beloved furries xx
Cats Steffi&Mac
Rats Turk Noodles Shadow Newt Ripley Tia Halle Berry Tempest Kembali Murphy
At the Bridge :icon_cat: Boris Billie Bimbo Jennyfur Mo; ratties Perdy, Mitts, Mr Pob, Manny, Zemmi, Aimee, Floss Lucy Liu Fargo Riddick Megan Melody Monkey Imogen Brenna Danny

Offline lularat

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2007, 08:22:37 PM »
Arlene, I am so sorry to hear about Ernie.  :'(  He and you fought hard. His little body could take no more and he needed to rest.

Rest well Ernie and visit your mom often.  :heart:
~Carolyn~

Offline ginniejollie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2007, 02:51:32 AM »
I'm so sorry that Ernie has crossed to the bridge  :'(  Play well and absolutely 'mark' everywhere little man  :heart:  I hope yours and Mercy's hearts heals soon.  :heart: