Author Topic: What do you call a soft rat that's not satin?  (Read 1105 times)

Offline a1issa

What do you call a soft rat that's not satin?
« on: April 26, 2007, 08:19:53 PM »
I've got rats that aren't technically satins, because their whiskers are not wonky.  They're extremely soft, though, and soft in two different ways.  One of my girls and one of my boys have extremely long hairs, and are very soft and super-sleek & shiny, whereas one of the girls feels like a cotton-ball (similar to a rex), but has very short hair that makes her look like a standard (it's not shiny, either).  All of their hair is significantly softer than most standard rats, but doesn't have that crazy "I got in a fight with a blow-dryer" look like my rex boy, sticking all over the place.

I've been calling them "silky" for lack of better terminology - what are they really called, if they're not satins?  And does anyone know about the genetics of softer fur that's not rex or satin?  (I'm not interested in breeding, just how the traits are passed, especially since these very soft rats are  common in the pet stores.)

Looking for dwarves!  WI or nearby.

Offline Ktina

• Posts Too Much!
    • My pictures
Re: What do you call a soft rat that's not satin?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 09:03:20 PM »
I never knew satin rats had wonky whiskers, I always thought they were normal looking.

It is possible that your girl is a velveteen, which is a "poor" rex with lighter curls.  It could just be her normal fur, though, since some gitls tend to have very soft fur.

Offline a1issa

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 09:09:41 PM »
There's no kink or curl whatsoever in any of them (aside from the rex).  They've all had straight hair since they were born/purchased (at 3-4wks).

The page that I used to conclude that they're not satin (due to whiskers) is here: http://www.ratregistry.org/satin.htm
Looking for dwarves!  WI or nearby.

Offline LastEchoes

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 01:56:14 AM »
Just call them cuddly!!
My Zoo:
1 Cat
1 Parrot
6 Rats
2 Snakes
1 Scorpion

Offline Chaosbadgerling

• Posts Too Much!
  • Currently ratless
    • Aywas
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 03:01:20 AM »
I call her Silk  :cheeky:

Mainly thats her name  :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline embryodb

• Posts Too Much!
  • (Cara)
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 09:09:17 AM »
I just bought a so-called satin from a good breeder.  I believe he really knows his stuff.

He has completely straight hair and pretty normal whiskers.  He is young, though, and from the looks of his dad, his hair may get crazier with age.

There are some other soft coat types, though, like velveteen and harley, which I know nothing about...

Offline LifeInCircuit

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 01:42:48 PM »
I really couldn't tell you what your rats are, but they are not really necessarily anything specific. There are always in betweens and also the random coat types which pop up, but have not been intentionally bred yet. I've had rats with long, coarse hair, hair that was short, straight and laid less flat against the body(kind of a puff ball thing going on), etc.

Offline DragonTamer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spider Lovin'
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 04:03:08 PM »
I had one rat who was missing all of his guard hairs, and was just very kinky rex fur (and it was all the soft under fur).  It was a type of rex but I forgot the name of it.. and it wasn't an intentional breeding, it was a baby from the mum rat I took in a while back. 

I thought baby satin rats had curled whiskers that sorta straightened out as they aged.  satin spinies have curly whiskers even in adulthood, and I'm not sure about satin mice as I've only had the pleasure of keeping two in my lifetime, years ago.