Author Topic: Updated Sophie is gone : (  (Read 932 times)

Offline Vibrissa

• Posts Too Much!
Updated Sophie is gone : (
« on: April 29, 2007, 04:04:42 PM »
Sophie was so sick but would still clamber to make it out of the cage and into my arms--one my shoulder was her favorite, but she was pretty unsteady.  I had her in a smaller separate cage all night, but checked on her and talked to her or held her for a while.  She had her meds as she couldn't fight getting them.  I made her tea with Echinacea and tried to give her some with an eye dropper as she had given up wanting anything to eat or drink--even her very favorite Nutri-Stat.  As I got ready for work this morning and watched her labored breathing but her eyes look at me and her try to get into my hands, I called in sick to be with her.  I held her all morning on the bed where they would have their playtime which she totalllllly loved.  I held her and talked to her and just would lie quietly part of the time with her all morning.  Then at 10:15 a.m. she started gasping for air.  AS I cried I told her to go to the light and I hoped she saw her mommy there and I hoped to god there is another side--or nothing at all--she finally took her last gasp about 3 minutes later and lay peacefully in my hands and the towel I had for her.  She is in my arms wrapped in the towel as I type this.  This is the 2nd of May, 2007--my aunt died and I held her in my arms soon after she passed exactly one month ago--April 2nd.  I loved Sophie so much--so did my aunt, so maybe they are together and she was there (wherever that is) to welcome her tiny spirit.  I love you Sophie. 

My husband (ex but we are getting back together--and really haven't been very much apart for these years) and my sister-in law came over to help me disinfect all the cages (is VERY hot water and soap to soak the little basets they get inside of enough to kill mites?) so that I can no start doing all five rats--one at a time for 15 min--with a drop of kitten revolution to finally get rid of their mites.  When I took Frannie out (and I have had her out and held her everyday--but just hadn't noticed) she has this very hard lump out to the side below the ear (looks like she has the mumps on one side: ((().  Since January, I got a full time job (wish I was at home) and I predicted everyone and thing was going to go downhill and die.  The rats all got sick with respiratory stuff and had to be on doxy and baytril twice a day for four weeks, my Aunt started going downhill, finally went into the hospital, the nursing home for rehab (which she was in no shape for but the hosp. need to get rid of her), and died, the cat started dying and wasting away (I'm thinking maybe from pet food now--but she is also 16--just doing better at the moment--and on Flint River Ranch food now), one bird started to get sick and isn't doing well now, and now this.  I have been a tad busy.  My husband is going to get the bird and the rat to the vet this week, but I just wondered if anyone knows what this could be on Frannie (obviously not a mammary tumor, I think?).  Now I am going to take each rattie and take them in the bedroom for playtime (and put their one drop of Revolution on them--as much as I don't want to put chemicals in them-but know they have been miserable with the itching and now the scabs) and be wtih them and watch tv for the 1 1/2 hours lol .  Thank you for any thoughts. 

Dove is old with respiratory illness--got antibiotics that I should have given her long ago except I was dealing with my aunt dying and I didn't really know she was getting sick (the bird). 

Frannie has a cancerous tumor : (((( and an infection--has antibiotics to take for 1 1/2 weeks and then see if she is strong enough and better to undergo surgery of the tumor--but because of its location, it is a delicate surgery and they usually never get it all out--so it grows back--so she is on borrowed time. : (((( 

Sophie is in terrible shape (I knew that, but just the past day) and probably won't make it.  He says that it is a resp. infection and doesn't think it has anything to do with the Revolution--that she had it and just didn't show it until yesterday (hmmm, what a coincidence to happen the day after the revolution, but okay).  She has baytril, but it is sad giving it to her--so easy because she isn't eating or fighting--and I don't know how long to try or let her go : (((. 

I don't think I can ever do rats again.  I love them too much to go thru this.  Esp. after my aunt. 

« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 11:47:30 AM by Vibrissa »

Offline LastEchoes

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Now what does Frannie have?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 05:05:56 PM »
it could be an abscess or it could be a tumor. Tumors on neck are not uncommon.
My Zoo:
1 Cat
1 Parrot
6 Rats
2 Snakes
1 Scorpion

Offline Vibrissa

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 05:15:08 PM »
Isn't on her neck--is up under her ear--where our cheeks are--but not in the mouth area, I don't think.

Offline JuliaDC

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Ima frog!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 08:16:18 AM »
She could have developed an abscess from scratching. However, only a vet will know for sure, as it could be many things. It will be helpful to the vet to know how quickly it's growing. Good luck!

Offline Vibrissa

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 12:31:29 PM »
Yes, it was bigger today--at least they should stop scratching now that they were "Revolution ized" yesterday.  And she does have a scritch mark just under this big lump (not a bite, but just from scratching).  Just hope it isn't an ear infection or a tooth--hasn't acted like that though--but what do I know!

Offline dana_renay

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 04:02:16 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about the seeming scourge on your house. It sucks to have so many things going wrong at once.  I hate the way bad stuff seems to always pile up like that.

If the lump on your rat popped up that fast (seemingly appeared overnight), it is more likely to be a sebaceous cyst or an abscess than a tumor.  If Frannie will endure it, you might try the warm compresses. If she has an abscess, the compresses will encourage the thing to drain and will help relieve pain; if it's a tumor, they won't help but also won't cause any harm.

I know I'm new to this forum but I've been a rat owner for many years and have dealt with abscesses, tumors, myco and other nasties. I'll take an abscess over a tumor in a girlie any day.

Treats and scritches to Frannie.

Offline Vibrissa

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 12:32:11 AM »
My husband got the appt for tomorrow and is taking the sick dove and Frannie with the cyst/abcess--and tonight now Sophie is very sick, breathing labored with dried polyphorin all around her nose--guess I have killed her with the kitten Revolution : ((((((---is why I have put off using chemicals on them all this time--but their itching and scabs were getting totally miserable for them.  I tried to get her to eat something--anything--and added some charcoal so maybe it would soak up the poisons in her, but she is no longer interested in food or playing : ((((--and she was just fine yesterday when I treated her--yes only one drop--and had her out playing for 20 minutes so it could dry--I will never give any of those chemicals to another animal in my life--of course when they all die which is what everyone is doing, I will not have animals anymore (my favorite thing in life).  I give up (am crying right now).  Sorry.

Offline raindear

Re: Now what does Frannie have? Updated
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 12:44:01 PM »
Rats being prey animals can hide their sicknesses for a very long time, so that predators won't see them as easy prey. Your rat was probably sick for a while before showing symptoms you could recognize. It may very well have nothing to do with the Revolution, and certainly was not your fault. Take the best care of her that you can (I know you are) and hope for the best. Many of us here are sending you good thoughts/prayers in your time of need. Hope things start to get better. Many times I have wondered why the universe can't just send us one problem at a time, and let us solve them before sending more. We all have times like you are experiencing now. Hugs, and Hope.