Author Topic: New Bunny...HELP!  (Read 1910 times)

Offline bug.dragon

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • To a loving rat you are the world
New Bunny...HELP!
« on: May 15, 2007, 01:01:39 AM »
Okay. Wow
So I took in a momma and three babies and the daddy that were living in an abusive situation. I have three ratties, and figured I should check out the bunny site now that I am going to have a baby dwarf all on my own (the others have homes).
His name is Salvador, he is 6 weeks today so I just got him a cage...now that I saw the other cages, I'm a bit worried it's too small, but he IS only the size of a tennis ball AND i take him out for HOURS to my college campus everyday.
I'll look into a bigger cage as he gets bigger I guess.
Sorry (rambling)  ::) ANYWAY
My questions are this:
This is his first night alone, and he seems very upset and nervous. Normally he just bunks down and cuddles, tonight he's rocketing off the walls, and shaking a bit....Can I get him any toys that eating won't hurt? I was thinking a soft plushie or something, but I had a ferret once that ate the inside of a toy plush ball and died from it, so I'm worried.
Also, any ideas for toys that he can play with instead of snuggle? I was thinking of tying up some twigs from the ceiling of the cage for him to play with, but any other suggestions?
Also, I keep hearing that bunnies are litter-trainable, can anyone tell me how to do this? If I can litter train him, I may consider no cage at all once he's not so tiny he could accidentally get shut in a door or something.  :-\
THANKS SO MUCH!!!
A well-balanced person has a rat on each shoulder.
<:3 )~~ RIP Stella Baby and my other ratlets<:3*)~~

Pet's name: Nolita
Adopted by: Jill

Adopt your own![/URL

Offline MaevePotter

• Posts Too Much!
    • Meg's Magical Hammocks
Re: New Bunny...HELP!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 01:30:22 AM »
rabbit.org has everything on bunnies and lots of articles on litter training. Honestly, just give him a box with a little litter on the bottom and a bunch of hay on top and he should do it himself. Just pick up spare pellets and put them in there.
:heart: Loved by: Sean, Mittens, Honey, Little Bear, Pewpew, Thomas, Midget, Benjamin, Little Heart, Petal, Piranha, and Cricket.
Mommy misses: Dumbo, Piper, Emily, Merlyn, Theo, sweet Finn, Georgiana, Winston, Lily, Owen, Nicholas, Albus, Dumbledore, sweet Daphne, Fiona, Roger, Esther, and Caius.

Offline bug.dragon

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 11:41:35 AM »
Thanks so much!
I still have a question though...is there any type of stuffed toy that I can get for him to snuggle? Salvador is just SUCH a snuggler and I think he misses his sisters to snuggle with. All the toys on that site were for playing...should I just assume that this means that snuggly toys are not safe enough for bunnies? I was thinking of getting a security blanket with one of those little bunny heads and paws on it (it sounds SO morbid when I type it :doh: but its one of those cute fleecy things so he can snuggle) Would that be a bad idea?

Adopt your own![/URL

Offline SarahD

• EARPS Exotic Animal Rescue and Pet Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 11:56:15 PM »
I don't think it would necessarily be a bad idea.  I know of rabbits who have stuffed animals they snuggle with.  As long as you are aware of and look for the risks like the bun eating parts of the stuffed animal and getting an obstruction, it may help...
mom of 7 rats
RVT at an all exotic specialty clinic
Founder of EARPS, Inc.

Offline bug.dragon

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 12:19:22 AM »
i tried, but every time i do it it won't work. i select the add image option and paste the url in between the thingies and all that shows up is a box with a red x in it

Adopt your own![/URL