Author Topic: Ketchup?  (Read 4401 times)

Offline bug.dragon

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • To a loving rat you are the world
Ketchup?
« on: May 17, 2007, 10:52:37 PM »
Is ketchup ok for bunnies? I ask because mine seems to REALLY want it...normally he just snuggles in your lap no matter what food you have on the table, but when he smells the ketchup he tries to pull the paper plate off the table!
I know it has fructose syrups and stuff so it's prolly not good in large quantities, but if i could get some organic ketchup would that be ok?
A well-balanced person has a rat on each shoulder.
<:3 )~~ RIP Stella Baby and my other ratlets<:3*)~~

Pet's name: Nolita
Adopted by: Jill

Adopt your own![/URL

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
Re: Ketchup?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 11:12:01 PM »
No, ketchup is not okay for rabbits, even in small quantities.  There is a lot of added sugar, amongst many other things.  Rabbits have a very sensitive GI tract and cannot digest a lot of sugar.  If your rabbit enjoys the smell of ketchup, treat him with a couple grape tomatoes with his fresh greens.
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 03:35:36 PM »
I'll second that.  Go for the all natural tomatoes.  Even organic ketchup is going to have too much sugar in it for the sensitive bun belly.

Offline bug.dragon

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 01:18:16 AM »
silly and dumb question, and I'm assuming that this is a no, but just to ask...things like cookies or treats you'd give to a rattie won't be ok right? JUST veggies, and some fruit, and no iceberg lettuce and that's it right? (besides bunny treats from pet stores)
I have to admit, i'm slightly heartbroken, i LOVE spoiling my pets, my rattie girls always get little bits of whatever I'm eating unles it's chocolate as my last rattie would start having seizures when she tried that. It'll make me sad to not be able to spoil my bun with as many treats as my ratties

Adopt your own![/URL

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 10:20:55 PM »
Rabbits are strict herbivores.  If you want to spoil your rabbit, get different types of grass hay and/or lots of toys.  Never feed a rabbit table scraps.  Treats from pet stores are also extremely high in sugar.
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline hamsterluv

• curious hamster
    • SailorLibra Productions
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 06:40:20 PM »
silly and dumb question, and I'm assuming that this is a no, but just to ask...things like cookies or treats you'd give to a rattie won't be ok right? JUST veggies, and some fruit, and no iceberg lettuce and that's it right? (besides bunny treats from pet stores)
I have to admit, i'm slightly heartbroken, i LOVE spoiling my pets, my rattie girls always get little bits of whatever I'm eating unles it's chocolate as my last rattie would start having seizures when she tried that. It'll make me sad to not be able to spoil my bun with as many treats as my ratties

good questions, mine do to! even my hamster! I love to spoil my ratties with a bit of just about everything I eat.

thanks for the tips for bunnies everyone. I think I may be going out to the store and buying some fresh veggies like a few carrots. :)
~ Hammies & Ratties ~ LOL Rats post

Offline BunGirl

• WildRescue Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 05:01:07 PM »
The feeding section on Make Mine Chocolate is a great resource.  It gives you the bunny food pyramid.  Anything not on the pyramid should not be fed to a bun, and you can see which types of foods should be fed often and which can only be fed in limited quantities.

The thing to remember here is that a rat is designed to be able to eat just about anything.  They're scavengers after all, so they'll eat whatever's available in the wild.  This is why wild rats do fine in urban settings.  Rabbits on the other hand have a very delicate g-i track.  Their dietary needs are more like a horse or a deer than a rodent.  They need lots of long fibers (hay) and lots of exercise to aid their digestion process.  They can't vomit or pass gas if they eat something that's bad for them, so even just a little can cause real problems. 

Still, there are plenty of healthy, fun ways to spoil your rabbit!  Try hiding some small pieces of fresh fruit in a digging box filled with hay and just watch your bun tear through to find it.  Stuff an old paper towel tube with hay and greens and you've got a treat/toy combo that any bun will love.  Fresh dandelion leaves and clover plucked from your lawn are excellent treats, as long as the area hasn't been treated with chemicals.
Secretary, WildRescue Inc.

Offline bug.dragon

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 06:18:51 PM »
thanks for the ideas!

Adopt your own![/URL