Author Topic: Afriend  (Read 2925 times)

Offline fudge

• Ritten
Afriend
« on: May 18, 2007, 08:48:14 AM »
My bunny has been alone for nearly a twelve month,will it be ok to get her a guinea pig for companionship?
She has a tidy size hutch & run but not big enough for another rabbit. Will they be ok together ,will the rabbit hurt it? The rabbit has her own cuddly toys & is in the habbit of "playing" with them,if you no what i mean! will she try to do this to a guinea pig?
I would really,really appreciate a response as im really unsure about what i should do!

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Afriend
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 10:41:03 AM »
Rabbits and guinea pigs should not be housed together.  The potential exists for serious injury to the guinea pig.  If you think your rabbit needs a friend, another rabbit is the best idea. 

You mentioned that you don't have enough room for another rabbit, but that means there wouldn't be room for a guinea pig, either.  Not to mention, putting two animals in a small space like that increases the chances that they will fight, and someone will get hurt.

Offline fudge

• Ritten
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 11:08:54 AM »
Thank's Marybelle! im at a loss as to why my very friendly happy rabbit has all of a sudden changed moods. She's still eating,running,jumping,her coat is lovely so i dont think she's ill! Maybe she's just tempremental,thanks for your help,Katherine

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 12:01:29 PM »
How old is she?  And is she spayed?  Rabbits can get very cranky if they're not spayed...

Offline fudge

• Ritten
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 02:02:13 PM »
she's just turned a year old (my daughter held a party for her). No she is'nt spayed,can i get this done at any vets,how much does it cost? i was'nt aware that rabbits needed to be spayed!

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 03:25:59 PM »
You might have to find an exotic vet, and prices will vary greatly from vet to vet.  Your best bet is to pull out a phone book and start calling vets to find one with experience, and a price you're comfortable with.  It's possible that just getting her spayed will help with her attitude problem.  :)

Offline MaevePotter

• Posts Too Much!
    • Meg's Magical Hammocks
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 04:04:10 PM »
yes I totally second that. Spaying female rabbits can greatly increase their good temper. try rabbit.org for a list of vets in you area.
:heart: Loved by: Sean, Mittens, Honey, Little Bear, Pewpew, Thomas, Midget, Benjamin, Little Heart, Petal, Piranha, and Cricket.
Mommy misses: Dumbo, Piper, Emily, Merlyn, Theo, sweet Finn, Georgiana, Winston, Lily, Owen, Nicholas, Albus, Dumbledore, sweet Daphne, Fiona, Roger, Esther, and Caius.

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 11:15:04 PM »
Spaying female rabbits isn't an option - it's a necessity, just so you know.  An intact female rabbit over the age of 2-3 years old has an 85% or higher chance of getting uterine cancer or pyometra.  Rabbits need to be spayed/neutered around 5-6 months of age.  Make sure your vet is VERY rabbit-savvy and has done the surgery many times in the past.  A rabbit spay is not like a dog/cat surgery.  Spays are usually $100-$200.
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)